Clothing advice for older woman

nlktx49

I would like some advice on cruise clothing suitable for a 64 year old, overweight woman. I'm pretty casual, but I'd like to look nice. I only cruise Carnival, and yes, you see pretty much everything on there, but I'd like for people to either not notice me at all, or look at me and think "She looks nice!" My weight fluctuates, but I usually wear size 16 or 18. And most cruises are Caribbean.

Thanks for any help!

Oh, I've got flabby upper arms, so don't wear sleeveless tops.

I am in your age group. I pretty much wear what I want. I like color and tend to wear pretty tops with lots of color and bottoms of neutral, black, beige, gray and white. I dress for comfort, especially for day wear.

If you are talking about Formal nights. I bought a pair of black flowy pants and then bought sparkly tops to go with them. One top was lace and beads, a little heavy. One was a jacket with a shell, with glitter. I didn't stand out but I know I looked good.

A nice cocktail dress is also suitable if you don't like longer dresses or pants. What ever you like and feel good in is okay. Have fun on your cruise.

Hi there. I'm younger than you, but I know what makes me say "she looks nice" :)

First off...are you an apple or a pear?

I hate my arms, too, and I bought the greatest little shrug/bolero this year. It's a flesh-coloured light net with sequins...very lightweight and will go with just about everything. Things like that are a god-send when almost all cocktail dresses I see are sleeveless.

I find that some of us fluffy ladies tend to dress in a uniform for evening. Straight-cut tops with short sleeves and scoop necks worn with wide-leg trousers or straight skirts. While it covers everything up, it doesn't offer much shape. I hope I don't insult anyone when I say I have never seen anyone dressed like that and said "she looks nice"

So...what is your shape and what are your best features?

For evening "formal wear", would you consider a suit? The same colour top and bottom, (which will give the appearance of elongating you) with a skirt that hits at a flattering point on your legs? (This will take some going to the store and trying on, to figure out your best skirt length.) And the jacket not floaty, more tailored-to-your-shape? If your tummy bothers you, the jacket could flare out a bit from your waist, to cover your tummy?

I would like some advice on cruise clothing suitable for a 64 year old, overweight woman. I'm pretty casual, but I'd like to look nice. I only cruise Carnival, and yes, you see pretty much everything on there, but I'd like for people to either not notice me at all, or look at me and think "She looks nice!" My weight fluctuates, but I usually wear size 16 or 18. And most cruises are Caribbean.

Thanks for any help!

Oh, I've got flabby upper arms, so don't wear sleeveless tops.

I think a pair of nice fitting black pants with a shoe that has a small heel. This will give your legs some length. I'm not talking stilletto heels here, just a small chunk heel, if you can wear them. It can be a slip-on type shoe or pump type depending on what you like. I personally like the slip on kind as I paint my toenails a pretty color and like to see them peeking out.

From there, pick out a solid color - nice tank or shell and then go with a silky overblouse left unbuttoned. Or you could go for a tank or shell with a design or pattern and sloid color blouse. Wear nice accessories, nice makeup, nails and hair and you will have it nailed.

For more casual evenings, black capris made of a dress pants type fabric coming below the knee with a slight flair, works very well. Do the same for the top as above, a nice tank or shell and perhaps a less dressy blouse.

I love black pants and the layered look works on most body types. The blouse can also play double duty in the MDR and showrooms as they sometimes get cold.

*** I also have a black shurg that I found at either Marshall's or Ross. I love, love, love it. It is solid black, so I can wear a patterned tank or shell underneath...... again with black dressy capris or pants and shoes with a little bit of heel.

*** changing tops, patterns and accessories can create many, many different looks.

Just a tip, but I thed to stay away from large prints or horizontal strips. Sometimes they are not the best for anyone with a few extra pounds to lose.

Good luck to you and have a great time.

:)

Personally, I don't believe it matters what your age is when it comes to what you want to wear. I'm a jeans & Tshirt & fleece & down person. And, I'm on the other half of 100... Over with that.

Your size does fall within the Jjill sizes. I'd take a look over at their website or catalog or store to see if anything in there tickles your fancy. They have some good travel-easy clothes that can be mixed and matched.

It does not matter what size you are. Know your body and what look good on you. The best way is to go to the department stores and to try on every style; then decide what look best on you. For me is V neck and form fitting.

Happy shopping

Marie

This is great advice .We are all different and what looks good on somebody else may not be your style or match your personality .

Your size does fall within the Jjill sizes. I'd take a look over at their website or catalog or store to see if anything in there tickles your fancy. They have some good travel-easy clothes that can be mixed and matched.

I wear a lot of JJill clothes and I have to agree their travel separates are great . Plus their linen is perfect for Caribbean cruises .

This is great advice .We are all different and what looks good on somebody else may not be your style or match your personality .

After each the surgery on my foot, I watched a lot TV, one of the show I watched was ‘What Not to Wear’. Most of the clothes on the shows I would never able to wear them or buy them. So yes, what looks good on someone else may not be your style. I just turned 57 in July. I pretty much wear what I want. Really! It does not matter how old you are or what size you wear; it is what's in your heart that matter. So stand straight, head held high and walk proud; you will look like a million bucks :D. Oh, with the right clothes of course :).

Marie

I am in your age group. I pretty much wear what I want. I like color and tend to wear pretty tops with lots of color and bottoms of neutral, black, beige, gray and white. I dress for comfort, especially for day wear.

If you are talking about Formal nights. I bought a pair of black flowy pants and then bought sparkly tops to go with them. One top was lace and beads, a little heavy. One was a jacket with a shell, with glitter. I didn't stand out but I know I looked good.

A nice cocktail dress is also suitable if you don't like longer dresses or pants. What ever you like and feel good in is okay. Have fun on your cruise.

I agree 100%. I also like dresses with fitted tops and loose but not voluminous skirts. If you are concerned about you arms, there are light and pretty toppers for dresses.

Try Chico's as well. They've made an art of clothes that are attractive and work for all sizes. If the prices seem high, look at them on Ebay.

The most important thing I think is never squeeze yourself into too small clothing! Nothing makes you look heavier. Pay no attention to sizes. If you need to go up a size to make sure it fits properly, go for it. You can always take the size tag out if you want!

The most important thing I think is never squeeze yourself into too small clothing! Nothing makes you look heavier.

I'm not sure...wearing clothing too big adds a lot of visual weight as well It's a fault of mine, because of my out-of-proportion bust and dread of showing off fat rolls, but I often look in the mirror and know I'm not doing myself any favours! :p

In my opinion, too tight (showing every roll/lump) is as bad as too large! The trick is to find things that skim the body or are designed to flatter and give the look of a nice figure. That, combined with watching the size of your patterns and the fabrics involved (too light and clingy are hard to wear) all help in the long run.

The bottom line is that you have to feel good in what you are wearing, and that will shine through!

After each the surgery on my foot, I watched a lot TV, one of the show I watched was ‘What Not to Wear’. Most of the clothes on the shows I would never able to wear them or buy them. So yes, what looks good on someone else may not be your style. I just turned 57 in July. I pretty much wear what I want. Really! It does not matter how old you are or what size you wear; it is what's in your heart that matter. So stand straight, head held high and walk proud; you will look like a million bucks :D. Oh, with the right clothes of course :).

Marie

==============

Totally agree with Marie ... some people will say things no matter what you wear so love your style and if you feel great and love the way you feel and look then go for it ....:)

Cathie

I'm in the same age group - a bit smaller but quit wearing sleeveless when I turned 50. Seriously never met anyone my age who really looks good in sleeveless, including a coworker who works out regularly and is a size 2 - the upper arms still don't look good. I've found some lovely things at Draper & Damon.

There are many good replies on this thread. I am 48, but I instinctively opened this thread because I have given so much thought lately to how I look, how I am perceived by others, etc.

First of all, I want to say that there isn't a dress code for an age group. You need not fall into the trap of wearing what others are wearing. You should wear what looks good on you. I have a daughter that works at Dressbarn, and she said to me one day that my problem is that I do not try things on, and try things at random as well. In other words, take a whole pile of clothes into the fitting room, and in some different sizes. Just because you try it on and it fits doesn't mean you should wear it. You'd be surprised how many times she'd say "Mom, it looks great, but try on a size smaller" or "I know you never wear a shirt like this, but see what it looks like".

I see clothes completely differently now. There is all sorts of things for all sorts of people.

If you feel good in it and you truly like what you are wearing, it will show.

Dressbarn and Ashley Stewart, as someone else here recommended, are great places to shop. Ashley Stewart is a bit hit or miss for me, but there have been some great tops and dresses. I adore Dressbarn - very classy place, for casual, work and dressy!

There are many good replies on this thread. I am 48, but I instinctively opened this thread because I have given so much thought lately to how I look, how I am perceived by others, etc.

First of all, I want to say that there isn't a dress code for an age group. You need not fall into the trap of wearing what others are wearing. You should wear what looks good on you. I have a daughter that works at Dressbarn, and she said to me one day that my problem is that I do not try things on, and try things at random as well. In other words, take a whole pile of clothes into the fitting room, and in some different sizes. Just because you try it on and it fits doesn't mean you should wear it. You'd be surprised how many times she'd say "Mom, it looks great, but try on a size smaller" or "I know you never wear a shirt like this, but see what it looks like".

I see clothes completely differently now. There is all sorts of things for all sorts of people.

Dressbarn and Ashley Stewart, as someone else here recommended, are great places to shop. Ashley Stewart is a bit hit or miss for me, but there have been some great tops and dresses. I adore Dressbarn - very classy place, for casual, work and dressy!

Hi Laura,

I agreed with you. The best ways is to go to the stores and try on every style then decide what look best on you. Style does not depend on age and size. And style is personal; to each his/her own.

Yes. This absolutely. Once, my mom and I went to Dress Barn to look for a cocktail dress for her for a wedding. We both knew what she wanted and I was pulling things for her to try. An employee was absolutely insistent that she wear palazzo pants and a dressy top. Now, that's fine if it's your personal style, but it's not my mom's style. She wanted a cocktail dress. It drove both of us nuts that this woman who knows nothing about either of our personal styles was so insistent that palazzo pants were the only thing that she could wear to a wedding.

So please do yourself a huge favor, op. Go to a store with a trusted friend or family member and just try things on. Grab different sizes, styles, colors, etc. Even the things that part of you is thinking you could never wear. And don't get discouraged. If something doesn't work, move on and try something else until you find something that fits you and that you love. I honestly believe that's the best way to discover what you like. Something may not look good on the rack but look perfect on you!

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I have gotten many complements on my clothing from Catheines. I am mid 60s, and need to hide every potato chip and cookie that I eat. Wearing size 0x or 1x is so much better than a snug size L or XL.

Whatever you wear - be sure to include your smile!

Happy cruising! Mary:)

• 3 weeks later...

Marie

I love that show, and wish that this is not the final season. I'd love to know the brand names of the items which Stacey & Clinton select for their clients.

Archived