In laws off on the Statendam today - last cruise

sun~

My in laws are off to board the Statendam today for a 14 day cruise. It will probably be the very last cruise. They are getting frail and have health issues, and they figure this is their last cruise ever.

They have hundreds of sea days on HAL and the Statendam is my MIL's favourite ship. She seemed a bit sad last night when I spoke with her. She was packing and this will be the last time she will be wearing all her finery for formal nights. They don't go out to too many formal dinners any more, so cruising is her opportunity to get dressed up.

If anyone is on this cruise, either segment, say hi to Liz and Rusty from Victoria, BC. MIL usually wears head to toe purple every day, so you can't miss her. Rusty is a gruff, retired RCN officer. He has lots of navy stories!

My in laws have been saying this is their "last cruise" for about 5 years. They are both 84 and they are currently looking at 2 more cruises in the next 6 months.

When they are no longer with us, then I will know that they have gone on their last cruise. Sounds cold, but it's the truth I think, for cruise addicts. (They have been cruising since the 1950's)

They are both in their 80's, and my FIL had serious heart surgery less than two years ago and a hip replacement about a year ago. I am seriously worried that he won't be able to walk to the dining room from their suite. MIL broke her hip on a 35 day cruise in the South Pacific a few years ago. She s very frail.

The health insurance premiums are sky high (cheaper than the $27,000 it cost to airlift my MIL from San Diego to Victoria), so it is really pricy for the elderly to cruise.

I don't think they will do much in the ports. They have been on many, many Alaskan cruises.

I hope they have a great time too!

We often say when we are looking for another cruise "This may be our last." My children and grandchildren immediately say "Right" sarcastically! :rolleyes: I sympathize with your in-laws in reaching a stage where mobility becomes a problem but admire their continuing to pursue a passion. Here's to wishing them a wonderful experience and hoping they can manage "one more time" in the future. You're a good daughter-in-law!

Would you be able to do a Family Cruise with them next year? This may be their last independent cruise, but a cruise with other family members would keep them doing what they love until they take that truly last cruise. (I always smile when I think of the priest's talk at my Dad's funeral. He ended with, "Leon is waving to us from the deck of his final cruise ship. He has a big smile on his face.")

My parents are almost 90 and have cruised with us for years. Unfortunately, my mother is unable to join us this year and it is so sad. Mobility problems, mostly. However, we had 4 generations with them for a short New Years cruise this January. With all the family members together it worked well. Parents even had a "dance" in the ocean bar.

So here's a second vote for looking at a family cruise with your parents

How bittersweet for them, knowing this will likely be their last chance to cruise. What is nice, however, is that they have many wonderful cruising memories to look back on as they stay on terra-firma. I wish them Bon Voyage and a relaxing experience on the Statendam together.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Just dwell on the fantastic memories of cruising.

I remember my parents being so excited about going on their first cruise only to cancel because of my Mother developing pneumonia a few days before embarkation. They never booked another cruise.:(

When it's our time to quit we will count our blessings and relish the memories.

Cruise and travel while we can; is our motto.

We took my mom on her last cruise. We decided that there would be no more after thatas she was at a point that being unfamiliar with things was causing problems due to dementia. My MIL did not make it to her last cruise with us. She died a few weeks before the cruise.

That's. shame cruiunjudy. At least your mum enjoyed cruises while she could.

There is no way we would do a family cruise. In Laws like Alaska and long cruises from the west coast. We work for a living and are many, many years away from retirement in order to do the 20 and 30 day cruises they favour. There is no way I will go on an Alaska cruise until there is global warning. They won't do the Caribbean (they have done in the past). So family cruises are a no go.

My in laws were here in July, and it was a struggle to get my FIL in he car. He was seriously winded going from our kitchen to the bedrooms (our house isn't a mansion!.

The roll calls were pretty dead. I had hoped to post there.

I don't know how many sea days they have with Hal, 500? More? So they are pretty familiar with many of the captains. They have sat at the captain's table many times as well. FIL got the privilege of touring the engine room many years ago with one of the captains. As a retired RCN officer they extended him that privilege.

They have had a good run for sure!

I am sure they are getting ready for sail away about now!

Archived