San Deigo Hotels

Himself

I am sailing on the Westerdam out of San Diego. Does any one have hotel they can recommend near the Airport or Cruise ship dock. One very close got bad write ups on Price line.

We stayed at the Hampton Inn and it was fine and walking distance to the port. They also had a shuttle bus. There was some train noise, but we requested a room in the front and that seemed to minimize it. Best feature was that it was really close to little Italy. Just 2 blocks up the hill to lots of great restaurants.

We also stayed at the Westin (downtown, not Gaslamp) and it was also walking distance if you are a good walker. They have an airport shuttle. Very nice hotel with great service.

it depends on how much you want to pay. I'd highly recommend the Hilton Bayfront which is less than a mile away and a 6 or 7 dollar taxi ride to the Cruise ship terminal. There is a Grand Hyatt a little closer and there are at least 10 places to stay within about ten blocks. My DGF and I did a quick little staycation at the Hilton last year for a weekend and it was amazing.

Edited by S_D_Sweet_Dougie

We usually stay at the Holiday Inn on the Bay right across the street from the terminal. This time we are trying the Holiday Inn Bayside which is a little further away.

We have stayed at both. I like waking up and looking out the room at the ship from the Holiday Inn on the Bay. The resturant is good too!

The Bayside really is a step down and off the beaten path. The coffee shop was OK for breakfast.

When taking the Shuttle from the Airport be very clear about which Hotel your are going to. We made that mistake once...

I like the Hampton Inn on Pacific Highway.

Last May I couldn't get it (big medical convention in town) and I'm having the same problem for my May 2014 cruise. Stayed at Holiday Inn Express in Old Towne and it was fine, although away from all the downtown stores, activities, and restaurants. They have an airport and port shuttle.

Roz

The Wyndam is getting bad reviews from comments guests make on Priceline.

Hate to hear that...we've stayed there twice when it was the Holiday Inn and while the hotel was a little old..the location could not be beat...the restaurant attached to the hotel was nice...and there is a little coffee shop where you can get breakfast and lunch along with other things which is very reasonable. Have you checked reviews on Trip Advisor?

When staying longer than one day, we prefer a hotel with more amenities than when staying only one night pre-cruise.

We find the US Grant Hotel on Broadway an excellent choice. A really grand hotel in the heart of the city, close to the Horton Plaza and still just a short taxi ride to the pier. Well worth the few extra dollars.

First of all, just about anything downtown is close to the airport and the cruise terminal. You don't have to worry about long travel distances here in San Diego. A quick look at google maps will show that distances are less than two miles.

Best cruise hotels would be the Grand Hyatt, US Grant (13 US presidents have stayed here!) and the new Hilton by the convention center. All three are outstanding hotels and prices will vary throughout the year or if there is a big convention.

I personally would avoid the hotels right at the cruise pier as a busy train corridor is right behind the hotels, and these hotels tend to small and old. Only stay here if you really have to be right next to the cruise port. Hint: you don't have to as the better choices are only a $10 taxi ride away.

The US Grant and Grand Hyatt are only half a mile from the port, so one could easily walk over (if able bodied) to watch the ships.

igraf (of San Diego)

I am sailing on the Westerdam out of San Diego. Does any one have hotel they can recommend near the Airport or Cruise ship dock. One very close got bad write ups on Price line.
Edited by igraf

The Wyndam is getting bad reviews from comments guests make on Priceline.

Have not seen the reviews, nor do I use Priceline, so not sure of the issues. We have stayed there several times over the years, both as the Holiday Inn and now as the Wyndham. Our last visit was less than a year ago. Will be staying there again in less than a month before our Celebrity Hawaii cruise.

The hotel is older, but it is very well maintained. There are a number of restaurants around the hotel complex from coffee shops to Ruth Chris steak house. Best part it is directly across the street from the cruise terminal. You can walk to the ship.

Edited by Murray's Pop

gee.... when did the Holiday Inn become Wyndham?

We checked into the Holiday Inn on Feb 27/13, and checked out of the Wyndham on Mar 2/13. The turnover happened on March 1.

They did renovate a lot of the rooms. Personally I hate having the closet in the same room as the shower, and toilet.