Do you think that some of the onboard activities are old fashioned?

wales4ever

And I don't mean formal nights! Or dress codes. Not a Royal Caribbean thing either, their on a lot of ships...

Things like ice carving - very 1950's Fruit carving on the deck? Napking folding? Belly flop competition?

Old fashioned?

Any idea for something newer instead?

Judging by the size of some on last weeks cruise, how about a female belly flop competition........

I think they've added a few "contemporary" things, like sudoko, galley tours, cooking demonstrations/competitions (like top chef or chopped), behind the stage tours, their own versions of popular reality and game shows, Zumba, how to play the steel drums, etc.

RCI learned in the 90's not to do pool deck competitive events for women such as beauty contests, bathing suit contests, etc. because the women took it far more serious then the men involved in similar activities. The guys will laugh at themselves during the hairy leg contests and the belly flop events but the women will be....more intense and take it somewhat seriously. Not to mention if a women gets sloshed she might flash the video camera during the taping.

I have a cruise-in-review tape from our 1995 Monarch trip where, as always, the first half is stock footage and the second part is material from our cruise. During a female bathing suit event (stock footage) the contestants had to parade by the video camera. A contestant, feeling the effects of her adult beverages for lunch, stopped in front of the videographer, quickly undid her top and jumped up and down while her girls, unloosed, did their thing. The good parts were blurred out.

Those, truly, were the good old days along with horse racing on the pool decks of those smaller ships!

And I don't mean formal nights! Or dress codes. Not a Royal Caribbean thing either, their on a lot of ships...

Things like ice carving - very 1950's Fruit carving on the deck? Napking folding? Belly flop competition?

Old fashioned?

Judging by the size of some on last weeks cruise, how about a female belly flop competition........

I think the better question is what would YOU like to see? Any suggestions?

It would be a good idea to change the questions for the newlywed game at least every decade-lol

Quest to me is a one and done too-how many times can you play that knowing what they are going to ask.

Actually I think Royal does a pretty good job with trying to stay current.

I do like the pool Olympics-one cruise I remember them putting a log across the pool(large pvc pipe) and you had to sit on it-slide to the middle and pummel your opponent until one of you fell off.

I also like dodge ball.

I think games of skill are cool-Bean bag toss-or as we call it "corn hole"-Putting contest-

Suggestions would be -Pool basketball-Volleyball-(they do this one)-I like trivia if I am in the mood-but I never win-

Quest to me is a one and done too-how many times can you play that knowing what they are going to ask.

I actually feel like the CDs do a good job mixing it up with the quest. I've done it on every cruise I've been on and other than having to take my bra off (ugh) in each one, they have been different enough to keep it interesting and surprising.

Those, truly, were the good old days along with horse racing on the pool decks of those smaller ships!

Aww man I miss the horse races!!! My last RCCL cruise 2010 I talked and talked about the horse races. We got on board and I was DEVASTATED when I found out they no longer have them. LOL!!

I actually feel like the CDs do a good job mixing it up with the quest. I've done it on every cruise I've been on and other than having to take my bra off (ugh) in each one, they have been different enough to keep it interesting and surprising.

I stand corrected-I have not gone in such a long time maybe I will try it next month on the Freedom.

I'm a 20 year Royal cruiser and yes, I think if you were brand new, you'd look at some activities and say..."hmmm, that's kinda dated" But I think they keep them on for "nostalgia sake". I'm a sucker for the Belly Flop;) They have added lots of things like Karoke/idol type events and 60 seconds or less etc. And I think there has been increased sensitivity to certain groups, like not being quite so mysoginistic and homophobic about the way Quest is run. For me, anyway, it's not unusual to see two guys holding hands- so it's harder for CDs to make "fun" of it in this day and age!

I like a good mix of nostalgia, but I'm a fan of progress too:D

As a new-to-Royal cruiser, I have to say that the Belly Flop contest and the World's Sexiest Man contest were the highlights of our recent Eastern Med - at least the portion that we spent on-board and not in port!

We've cruised other lines, but this was our first in Europe, and maybe it was the mix of passengers that did it, but these were hugely popular events - more so than on any other cruise - very fun and funny, and just general great entertainment for all. The World's Sexiest Man was really a time when there was a great congenial atmosphere as the contestants from the US (and I have to break out at least one from NY, one from Texas, and one military representative), Italy, India, Scotland, England, all duked it out - so to speak. The 4 American young women and one Sicilian grandma were the judges, and I have to say that that Sicilian lady had more attention paid to her than likely ever before in her life for her "swing vote"! Maybe it was old-fashioned, but a huge portion of the ship was united in a common cause and it was truly a blast. I'm all for new ideas, but the tried-and-true (including the speed-carving-of-ice) were big hits, at least on our cruise.

I just cruised with a first timer and I told her some of the stuff was corny, like summer camp for adults. She loved it all, like I do. The CD did not run the sexy man contest, so, the Assistand CD only had 3 contestants. It was very tame, compared to others I have seen, lasted about 10 minutes. I miss the singing of If I were not upon the sea, and the Krooz Komics, they were hysterical.

Old fashioned?

They might be! But my husband and I, in our early thirties, enjoy these types of somewhat campy things. Add to your list:

- Bingo

- Group dance classes

- Drink mixing classes

- Scrapbooking and jewelry making

- Love and Marriage game

There is plenty of the new and sophisticated as well (or at least I think so).

I miss old fashioned… I do love a lot about cruising now… but I do wish they would (could) bring back a lot of things. (I do understand why most of this will never come back… but it is fond remembering).

When I first started cruising… they would prepare flaming desserts table side, people and waiters would dance with flaming drinks on their heads – inviting guests to join them. I miss the “shows” in the dining room, almost every night. I miss roving minstrels in the dining room that would play requests. I miss the Sommelier. We could buy liquor on board (and on shore) and take it to our cabins. EVERYONE dressed to the 9s for formal night and dressed up for semi-formal night. You could take an iron, a coffee pot, candles and whatever you wanted on board. Skeet shooting off the aft of the ship was a daily event. Golfing off the Aft was also fun. We had horse races… and a horse auction and a person or a syndicate would purchase the horse. It was common to see a horse in the middle of the dining table – and at formal night the horses were dressed to the 9s. The horses went everywhere all week… sometimes being paraded through the theater before the shows and betting was good at the races. Bartenders danced your drink to you on the top of their heads… bottles were often flying on the pool deck as bartenders put on shows!! I miss ship-wide scavenger hunts (I was always good at finding an officer and ‘dragging’ them back to for the points for my team. I miss playing ship trivia… trivia just about the ship we were sailing… Can you name the Godmother? There was up-close ice carving. I took courses in towel folding and napkin folding (I can still make the boot)! Every evening in the dining hall we had a different fancy folded napkin. Gentlemen stood when a lady arrived at the table… pulled out her chair. People arrived at the table on time… and if you were more than 10 minutes late you were not allowed into the dining hall. I don’t miss the midnight buffet (just too much to eat that soon after dinner)… but I miss the party that went along with it. I miss toga night… and costume parties… and passengers dressed as Elvis. I miss the days of the week in the elevator. I miss chocolates on the pillows. I even miss everything stopping for the noon report from the Bridge… no one would even think of making noise while the Captain was speaking. I miss the captain and officers being able to take time and walk and talk among the cruisers, informally. I miss the purser being called the purser (and not guest relations). I miss the warm up cruise clowns or comics before the shows. I miss getting the news from the daily newspaper rather than CNN on the cabin TV. I do not miss wearing the PFD (personal floation device aka life vest) to the muster.

Don’t get me wrong… I love all that we have now… I love playing pool on the Radiance Class ships, putt-putt golf, movies under the star, BALCONIES lots of balconies. I like turning on the tv and following the ships movements and seeing the web cam. But I do miss a lot of the “old fashioned” things about cruising. All and all it is all still good… and The Blessing is in the Journey!!

Archived