Interesting News about Costa Concordia

CathyCruises

Hi Cathy

For those interested that the Costa Concordia is being raised tomorrow this is the live Webb page that will still hopefully be live tomorrow. It does tend to be patchy at times, and refreshes every 30 seconds or so.

Happy sailings and caring responsible captains on our cruises.

http://www.giglionews.it/20100224409...anoramica.html

I am sure it will be on your local news tomorrow it is a big story.

Sky news will be featuring it most of the day if you can receive that on your TV.

The procedure is due to begin at first light local time in Giglio.

Gales are blowing up here today autumn has arrived with a bang! Lets hope the calm weather window holds for Giglio.

It is quite emotional for all involved including the locals and especially the families of the two missing, one passenger and one crew member, they are still hoping to recover.

Ruth

Cathy, we sailed with you and we were on the same trivia team on the last TA I think it was the Reflection last year but could have been the Eclipse year before, oh the memory fails again! So much for trivia! We can remember the facts that don't matter!.

Ruth and Mike

It will be interesting to see how this goes. The process of righting the ship, known as parbuckling (great word!), has been done before, but not on a ship this size.

Ships hulls are neither designed to rest on their sides nor to be forcibly rotated upright and there is a risk that the hull could break apart when they try this.

Let's hope the operation is successful.

Thanks for the update, it ill be interesting to see how this goes.

For those who are not familiar with the salvage operation, there was a CBS 60 Minutes segment on the plan for this that was filmed and aired earlier in the year and rebroadcast a week or two ago:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50154138n

There is also a shorter description of this here on their site:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50154834n

Thanks for posting. Tragic that they hope to find two victims who are still entombed in the ship. At least their families may receive some closure.

When I teach my students about decision-making, I use youtube clips from this disaster. At first, the viewer is taken through a tour of the ship (she was lovely), and my students---many of whom are inner-city kids---are awed. Then disaster strikes, and the rest of the video shows the captain making one mistake after another. Almost all of my students have defined his behavior as "foolish" and "cowardly." As they say, out of the mouths of babes. . .

It's sad to see any ship suffer such a demise, but especially one caused by human error. And what of those 32 souls who lost their lives. One cannot begin to calculate those losses.

Cathy, we sailed with you and we were on the same trivia team on the last TA I think it was the Reflection last year but could have been the Eclipse year before, oh the memory fails again! So much for trivia! We can remember the facts that don't matter!.

Ruth and Mike

Hey Ruth! I definitely remember you and Mike, and it was on Eclipse! That was a fun cruise. ;) We did the TA again this year on Silhouette, and came in third by just a couple of points on the trivia--it was cutthroat! We are looking at the Silhouette again for April 2014--we had a very active (still active in fact) roll call and may get quite a few returnees--you should check it out!

Best,

Cathy

I think the link to the Giglio News live feed has been inundated. For anyone wanting to see what is going on there is a live feed here:

http://live.reuters.com/Event/Raising_the_Costa_Concordia

I remember being in the US staying with friends last year when this all happened and watched incredulously as it unfolded. All very sad and for those living on Giglio, a horrid thing to have on your doorstep each day. They are going to have to wait a bit longer for the ship to be towed away, but it won't come soon enough for them.

Phil

Phil

Thanks for that, we have been constantly watching the Giglio web site the last few months and feel quite emotional watching this 'parbuckling' we also have the sky news on too.

BTW Phil, I think you were on our last TA on the Reflection?

Cathy

We are booked on the Eclipse TA 3rd Nov 2013 and staying on B2B for the 14 day Caribbean cruise we prefer sailing into warmer weather and it shortens our winter. We will just have to find new team mates!!

Ruth

Appreciate these links and this posting. Just saw this morning on both NBC's Today Show and the CBS Morning News live video updates from this site about the progress in raising this ship. Interesting technology and engineering approach to do this challenging task. BUT, very S-L-O-W!! But seems to be going well and according to plan.

Below is a picture I took from the Solstice of this ship in its better days. Very nice-looking ship. Sad event and surprised that it has taken this long to figure out and solve its removal.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 141,977 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

As we did our sail-away on the Celebrity Solstice in Barcelona, this was the view of a now famous Costa ship with their unique yellow "C" stack. As you see, it was clearly a nice-looking ship with the name Concordia. In the background, you can see the unique shape of the "W" Hotel overlooking the beaches of charming and wonderful Barcelona.:

BarcelCostaConcordiaInPort.jpg

Phil

Thanks for that, we have been constantly watching the Giglio web site the last few months and feel quite emotional watching this 'parbuckling' we also have the sky news on too.

BTW Phil, I think you were on our last TA on the Reflection?

Cathy

We are booked on the Eclipse TA 3rd Nov 2013 and staying on B2B for the 14 day Caribbean cruise we prefer sailing into warmer weather and it shortens our winter. We will just have to find new team mates!!

Ruth

Oh Ruth, that sounds like a great trip!! I've just started a new job and think it would be a bit cheeky to tell them I need 3-4 weeks off just yet.;) But it may work for spring. Plus I've just bought my daughter, who lives in Australia, a plane ticket home for Thanksgiving and Christmas--it is her 'summer break' from medical school. Now she is extra motivated to study hard and pass her exams since she won't be there for the make-ups! She was just over the moon excited to find out she'll be able to spend the holidays with her family. :)

I know you guys will have a fantastic voyage!!!

From the AP Newswire in the past hour, they have this headline: "Shipwrecked Concordia cruise ship is wrested off Italian reef yet operation going very slowly" with these highlights: "In an unprecedented maritime salvage operation, engineers on Monday gingerly wrestled the hull of the shipwrecked Costa Concordia off the Italian reef where the cruise ship has been stuck since January 2012. Yet progress was much slower than predicted and the delicate operation to rotate the luxury liner from its capsized position to upright appeared likely to stretch into Tuesday, a senior official said. Never before has such an enormous cruise ship been righted, and the crippled Concordia didn't budge for the first three hours after the operation began, engineer Sergio Girotto told reporters."

In another story, it was noted that the Discovery Channel is recording the whole operation and will do a full Cable TV special this Friday at 10 pm.

Full story at:

http://www.startribune.com/business/223933301.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 141,977 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

I just checked and it is fully upright now, although it wasn't when we left to go to dinner!!

Yes, it is upright now and is stting very low in the water. This edited comment explains why so much of the Concordia is below the waterline:

"you will see that the deck with wings will be just above water-level. They are actually submerging many of the passenger decks (including the life-boat) deck) to get the ship on to the false "sea-floor". The bottom of the port-side caissons is about the same level as the keel, so the ship will rest and be prevented from rolling further by these caissons."

Archived