Royal Princess has reported she lost power in the Med!

MR NW GUY

As I noted, its actually not uncommon to have run-in issues. This just happened to be a significant one. What's different now is people pay attention to them. 15 years ago, if this happened, you would have gotten a phone call and pretty much only the passengers on the ncruise being cancelled would know.

A brand new ship and 2 outages now?? this is not typical and very unheard of.... my ta has been in business for 40 years and has never heard of this , and old ship yes that would be expected. Princess better smarted up with the regal forsure or they will end up like carnival.. giving away their cruises for so little

We are scheduled on the cruise for Friday. Our first flight out(to Miami) is this evening and connect tomorrow to for our flight to Barcelona.

All packed and ready to go. Needless to say, don't know what to do and according to Princess posting on website , won't know till this afternoon.

If this drags till tomorrow I will be sitting in the Miami airport waiting for a flight I might not board.

This is so sad because instead of being excited we are left wondering.

We are not on the Transatlantic (was but had to cancel that leg), so this opportunity to experience the Royal is the cruise Friday.

My husband and I are thinking positive and are hopeful that all will resolve in a wonderful cruise.

We have gotten no emails from our Travel agent on any of this. If not for the generousity of a friend(who also is a travel agent), would know very little. She has kept in touch with both Princess and me constantly as things progress. Guess who I will book with in the future. So these discount travel agents not always worth it but ones that really know how to serve (and still give you perks) are worth their weight in Gold.This particular friend Agent is also on the coming cruise and so is 10 of her closest friends.

We are packed (in 24" suitcases) and ready to go; tonight we sleep at the airport and tomorrow very early we are off to Miami where we meet up with many of our friends. We will all board the airplane and off to Barcelona where we will have a great time regardless of when we get on the Royal. Since we have insurance, we are not worried about delays because we know we will be taken care of.

I am going to buy that Energizer compact rechargeable light today, thanks for the recommendation.

My TA send me a Bon Voyage card and that is my favorite thing! No foreboding warnings, just have a great time!

Bon Voyage to all of my friends and see you all soon on the Royal,

Amelia

Re: above. We are all on the same flight and both these posters are my personal friends. We have the same agent as SD Sue and I use Amelia's agent occasionally. How I feel about agent contact is, that if they have no definitive information, I don't need to hear from them. What good will it do to cause stress and then have no answers to questions. At this point Princess is still my best source, and tomorrow, we are all getting on that flight to Barcelona. Together! :D

Just read a reliable source that the problem is in the ship's electrical switchboards which is affecting the propulsion system. A technical team is onboard and repairs are planned during the sail to Barcelona without passengers. It's an electrical problem, not mechanical. An engine didn't "blow."

What is your reliable source if I may ask?

Denise;

Thanks for the positive thoughts:) I've been so looking forward to this cruise since we booked on the first day March 15, 2012. I've even almost had to cancel on two occasions. I even splurged and upgraded to an Owners suite. Now to see it possibly slipping away a mere 14 days before we board is a little unnerving.....:(:(:(

Bob

Bob, it appears to be an electrical problem, not an engine problem. I understand your nervousness but (as my dear old Dad used to say) don't stress about events out of your control. Just think happy thoughts (like Peter Pan) and things will work out. I'm on her in December, then, again, in April. Things will work out for the best. :)

Re: above. We are all on the same flight and both these posters are my personal friends. We have the same agent as SD Sue and I use Amelia's agent occasionally. How I feel about agent contact is, that if they have no definitive information, I don't need to hear from them. What good will it do to cause stress and then have no answers to questions. At this point Princess is still my best source, and tomorrow, we are all getting on that flight to Barcelona. Together! :D

Bob and I are also on this flight with the six that posted along with "Sue's" travel agent. We will be on the flight to Barcelona. Hopefully, we get on the ship on Friday. :rolleyes:

Read all comments, leaving with 10 people for Barcelona Thursday. I'm confident of two things, If the ship is ready they will sail, if not , they will cancel Sept. 27 sailing. But I did like the comment of taking a small flashlight along.

Sounds like a very good idea

We will know by late today according to Princess

Sorry, Paul -- you received a lot of flak for this comment. Perhaps your detractors would rather you had posted:

"Go ahead with the next scheduled sailing on an unsafe ship and let those schmucks onboard live with continued power outages, possible life-threatening inability to navigate in rough seas, and the potential for deadly fires onboard. Just keep sailing so no one is disappointed or loses money!"

Now that is unselfishness, right?

I hate to say this but I am sure that there are many non CC members who really don't understand canceled ports or cruises due to uncontrollable circumstances in spite of what the passenger contract states, who were pitching a be..atch at passenger services complaining that the cruise was canceled irregardless of what the safety issues are. I am sure in the next few days there will be some new members, one post wonders creating threads like "I will never sail on Princess again" or "Princess canceled our cruise for no good reason".

one post wonders creating threads like "I will never sail on Princess again" or "Princess canceled our cruise for no good reason".

That's ok -- it's breaks up the monotony of:

"I've heard there is a coffee card. I searched, but I can't find

anything about it. Does anyone know about this?"

Insert 'coffee card', 'coke sticker', 'Santuary', 'Chef's Table', etc.

as desired.

Sorry, Paul -- you received a lot of flak for this comment. Perhaps your detractors would rather you had posted:

"Go ahead with the next scheduled sailing on an unsafe ship and let those schmucks onboard live with continued power outages, possible life-threatening inability to navigate in rough seas, and the potential for deadly fires onboard. Just keep sailing so no one is disappointed or loses money!"

Now that is unselfishness, right?

It was far too early to call for the cancellation of the cruise. The issue was unknown and could have been a lose screw. No need to be calling for canceling anyone's cruise

How long is the cruise that departs on Friday? I noticed that nobody mentioned the possibility that the repairs will take a few days, and the cruise would be shortened at the front. Is there a reason that couldn't happen?

And for my friends and others on the cruise, I hope you leave on Friday, on time, with 100% working power.

abby

How long is the cruise that departs on Friday?

Depends. There is a 12 day sailing followed by an 18 day maiden trans-Atlantic, but many people have them booked as a single 30 day cruise.

As for shortening the cruise, I don't know if they can do that logistically. First of all, the cruise that is now disembarking was "only" (and I say that because that is sort of like saying "minor surgery") cut by 4 days, and they gave everyone a full refund. If Princess is going to give people a full refund for missing 4 out of 12 days, it is hard to imagine how they would price out a shortened cruise. Plus, they have to get to Venice as some point to begin the TA. If they cut the cruise short, they would probably then have to skip several more ports in order to power their way to Venice in time for the next departure. Again, if you tell people that their cruise is going to be shortened and have additional ports skipped, most would probably take the cancellation refund or FCC.

A lot can be said for The Diamond and Sapphire Princess ships built in Japan.Solid as rocks travel thousands of miles.I know because I have been on several trips on those two ships 30 and 35 day trips.

I wonder why after such good seaworthy record no more have been ordered from that shipyard?

Denise;

Thanks for the positive thoughts:) I've been so looking forward to this cruise since we booked on the first day March 15, 2012. I've even almost had to cancel on two occasions. I even splurged and upgraded to an Owners suite. Now to see it possibly slipping away a mere 14 days before we board is a little unnerving.....:(:(:(

Bob

Bob,

Stay positive. I am seeing you all sailing away from Venice and having a wonderful time. :D not to mention bringing the ship safely to FLL!

Cheers, Denise

QUESTION: (Appropos of nothing, except curiosity)...When a ship moves from one port to another without passengers as Royal will do from Naples to Barcelona, do the crew members get to live it up like passengers and spread out to sleep in suites and cabins, eat in the dining rooms and hang out in the lounges? Or is it life as usual for them?

Depends. There is a 12 day sailing followed by an 18 day maiden trans-Atlantic, but many people have them booked as a single 30 day cruise.

As for shortening the cruise, I don't know if they can do that logistically. First of all, the cruise that is now disembarking was "only" (and I say that because that is sort of like saying "minor surgery") cut by 4 days, and they gave everyone a full refund. If Princess is going to give people a full refund for missing 4 out of 12 days, it is hard to imagine how they would price out a shortened cruise. Plus, they have to get to Venice as some point to begin the TA. If they cut the cruise short, they would probably then have to skip several more ports in order to power their way to Venice in time for the next departure. Again, if you tell people that their cruise is going to be shortened and have additional ports skipped, most would probably take the cancellation refund or FCC.

JMO but if they cannot sail on Friday and left on Sunday and skipped the furthest port (Istanbul I would guess) most people would still sail especially the people staying on the TA. Of course they would have to give some refund as they set the precidence for that and I'm sure the shipyard's insurance is taking a big hit for this.

Yeah, there's nothing like total anxiety a few short days before we're due to catch a plane to Italy so we can board the TA. Eeep!

Best of luck to all those en route to Barcelona.

We are also boarding in venice and I told Aubrey this morning we will either be cruising back to FLL or having an Italian land trip and flying home but we are having a vacation either way:D He agreed cause his other choice is to stay home and work:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Good points, but if they outright cancel it, they'll obviously have to give full refunds, and pay for transportation home, or to Venice. For arguments sake, let's say repairs take a week. So the ship is ready on October 1st. What does it do for the days between then and the board date in Venice? Just deadheads over there and sits until it's time to board the TA? If I were management at Princess I'd offer those booked on the 12 day an 8 day cruise, modify the itinerary, and give a partial refund to those who want to go. For those who wanted 12 days or nothing, do whatever they'd do if they outright cancel.

QUESTION: (Appropos of nothing, except curiosity)...When a ship moves from one port to another without passengers as Royal will do from Naples to Barcelona, do the crew members get to live it up like passengers and spread out to sleep in suites and cabins, eat in the dining rooms and hang out in the lounges? Or is it life as usual for them?

I would think it's life as usual without the passengers to serve but imagine that they are put to work on other things, drills - on older ships I imagine they do deep cleaning of cabins, dining rooms etc etc

I doubt they are left to have a leisurly time:confused:

A lot can be said for The Diamond and Sapphire Princess ships built in Japan.Solid as rocks travel thousands of miles.I know because I have been on several trips on those two ships 30 and 35 day trips.

I wonder why after such good seaworthy record no more have been ordered from that shipyard?

I second that having spend more than 70 days on these hips

I think there was a shipyard fire that seriously damaged the nearly-completed Diamond. The not-so-nearly completed Sapphire was then renamed Diamond and took the first ship's place; the damaged original Diamond was renamed Sapphire and completed later.

Obviously I don't know if that's why Mitsubishi Heavy Industries haven't won any other cruise ship orders, but it's a possibility. Or, of course, perhaps they just decided to not compete in that market.

Archived