Riviera Questions - Last minute questions

caviargal

We leave in 17 days for our cruise aboard Riviera. This forum has provided lots of great info so far and I have a few more questions.

We prebooked our allowed restaurant reservations as soon as they became available. At what point are we permitted to request additional reservations and where do we go to do that?

Are the onboard laundry facilities open 24x7? We will be in Italy for a week prior to the cruise and I would like to be able to wash a load or two on embarkation day. Are irons provided in these areas for guest use?

We are not into shows and from what I have read, entertainment is not Oceania's strong suit. But we are a bit younger than what appears to be the average demographic and do enjoy dancing after dinner. It appears there is a dance band in one of the lounges. Is this correct? And is there a DJ afterwards who will take requests? We are traveling with a group of friends and would like to be able to stay out after dinner and enjoy ourselves a bit as we are not together very often.

I have read that there is a store aboard that sells wine. Is this correct? I assume we could bring this wine to dinner if we choose and pay the $25 corkage - is this correct? Is there a nice selection? We opted out of the drink package as we quite enjoy Italian wines and will be bringing some aboard in various ports to enjoy both in the cabin and at dinner.

We have an extended balcony cabin and I have read on various threads about the furniture on these balconies being different from the others. Is this correct?

That's all for know and thank you for any information you can provide.

We leave in 17 days for our cruise aboard Riviera. This forum has provided lots of great info so far and I have a few more questions.

We prebooked our allowed restaurant reservations as soon as they became available. At what point are we permitted to request additional reservations and where do we go to do that?

Are the onboard laundry facilities open 24x7? We will be in Italy for a week prior to the cruise and I would like to be able to wash a load or two on embarkation day. Are irons provided in these areas for guest use?

We are not into shows and from what I have read, entertainment is not Oceania's strong suit. But we are a bit younger than what appears to be the average demographic and do enjoy dancing after dinner. It appears there is a dance band in one of the lounges. Is this correct? And is there a DJ afterwards who will take requests? We are traveling with a group of friends and would like to be able to stay out after dinner and enjoy ourselves a bit as we are not together very often.

I have read that there is a store aboard that sells wine. Is this correct? I assume we could bring this wine to dinner if we choose and pay the $25 corkage - is this correct? Is there a nice selection? We opted out of the drink package as we quite enjoy Italian wines and will be bringing some aboard in various ports to enjoy both in the cabin and at dinner.

We have an extended balcony cabin and I have read on various threads about the furniture on these balconies being different from the others. Is this correct?

That's all for know and thank you for any information you can provide.

Quick answers

1 Go to consciers desk on deck 5 from 08:00 in morning

2 Laundry 0:730AM til !0:00 PM

3 There is a piano player in Martini's bar on deck 6, also the band and DJ play for dancing after the show up in the Horizons Lounge on deck 14

4 There is not a specific wine store on board but the sometimes sell wines at the La Reserve Venue during the day.(Check the daily Currents for deals or check at reception)

Any wines bought on board will not be subject to corkage fees and any unfinnished bottels will be stored by the wine stuard under your cabin # for you and can be delivered to you at your reqest in any venue.

Have a great cruise and I am sure you will enjoy the experience.

Do not be reluctant to ask for info from the staff as they are there to assist you and are eager to do so.

Bill

Have a Great trip, if I remember right:

On deck 5 in the atrium there was a desk to do special restaurant res all day and at the entrance to the rest with the maitre'd when it is open.

There is no store selling wine or booze on the ship, strange right!, however I believe they had a table set up someplace on the first day selling wine by the bottle in different packages, ask around when you board.

If you ask they will put lounge chairs on the large balconies for you.

You may make changes to your reservations whenever you choose. There is a Restaurant Reservations Desk in the Embarkation Hall on Deck 5, it is open during standard business hours

The Self Service Laundries are open from 7:30 AM until 10:00 PM. Soap for the machines, as well as Irons and ironing boards are provided.

After the Main Show, there will be dancing in the Horizons Lounge, sometimes to a Combo, sometimes to a DJ, usually ending around midnight.

Incorrect, Wine is not sold in any of the Shops. That said, occasionally there is a Wine Desk set up in the Foyer outside of La Reserve where the Cellar Master will offer Wines which are bundled for discount. The selection is limited.

Independently purchased wines which are brought into the Dining Room are subject to a $25 corkage fee. Wines which are purchased at that discount desk are not subject to that fee.

The basic furniture on the balconies is "standard". Two upright chairs and a tiny table between them. That said, many people request additional furniture for those larger balconies. Talk to your Steward.

We pre-purchased four bottles of the discounted wine on the first afternoon of the Riviera cruise last July 3 (Rome to Venice), and the choice and pricing was surprisingly good. We do not pay for the package because we don't think much of the choices available for wines by the glass and we rarely drink more than one cocktail per day.

We pre-purchased four bottles of the discounted wine on the first afternoon of the Riviera cruise last July 3 (Rome to Venice), and the choice and pricing was surprisingly good. We do not pay for the package because we don't think much of the choices available for wines by the glass and we rarely drink more than one cocktail per day.

So it is pretty standard that we can expect to see a table set up selling discounted wines on the first day? This will be our first Oceania cruise. Is this the only time that discounted wines will be offered for sale?

So it is pretty standard that we can expect to see a table set up selling discounted wines on the first day? This will be our first Oceania cruise. Is this the only time that discounted wines will be offered for sale?

On our recent 21 day cruise, we pre-purchased six bottles of discounted wine immediately upon embarkation. Most of these were on the wine list. They were held for us until we requested them, either in a dining venue or to our Butler.

On two of the sea days during the cruise, they set up a "Wine Bazaar" and sold wines that they were running out of on the ship-- many that were no longer on their wine list. We got some fabulous bargains of excellent wines. Again, they were held for us until we requested them. All in all, we probably purchased 16 bottles on discount. Read Currents and show up early for the bazaar as there are very limited quantities.

On our recent 21 day cruise, we pre-purchased six bottles of discounted wine immediately upon embarkation. Most of these were on the wine list. They were held for us until we requested them, either in a dining venue or to our Butler.

On two of the sea days during the cruise, they set up a "Wine Bazaar" and sold wines that they were running out of on the ship-- many that were no longer on their wine list. We got some fabulous bargains of excellent wines. Again, they were held for us until we requested them. All in all, we probably purchased 16 bottles on discount. Read Currents and show up early for the bazaar as there are very limited quantities.

Since you got them at a discount, did you have to pay corkage when you called for them?

Because you would have paid the mandatory 18% tip on that wine purchase from Oceania...:)

I believe that you will find that Corkage is a fee which many fine dining establishments are forced to assess, in order to discourage the tackier elements of their clientele from abusing BYOB privileges, whereas the 18% service fee is a gratuity.

They have nothing whatever to do with one another.

I believe that you will find that Corkage is a fee which many fine dining establishments are forced to assess, in order to discourage the tackier elements of their clientele from abusing BYOB privileges, whereas the 18% service fee is a gratuity.

They have nothing whatever to do with one another.

Yes, they have nothing to do with one another.:rolleyes:

In nearly all cases, the corkage fee is there to compensate for the gratuity that would have come from the sale of the wine had the wine been purchased from the restaurant.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

PS. I do not question the imposition of the corkage fee. But it is disingenuous to claim that a corkage fee is not somehow connected to the foregone gratuity.

Further, my comment was made so that those who are considering purchasing bottles at this event are aware that the discounted price is not the final price they pay for those bottles.

To clarify: the bottles that we purchased on day one were discounted based on how many were purchased: I think it was 10% for one/20% for two/30% for three. We purchased six bottles at 30% discount for all. At the wine bazaar, the percentage discount was not posted, but you could figure it out that the discounts were anywhere from 10% to 30% based on the cost of the wine i.e. cheaper wines carried a lower discount. The 18% gratuity was added to the bill for the wine when it was purchased, not when it was consumed. Hope this helps.

To clarify: the bottles that we purchased on day one were discounted based on how many were purchased: I think it was 10% for one/20% for two/30% for three. We purchased six bottles at 30% discount for all. At the wine bazaar, the percentage discount was not posted, but you could figure it out that the discounts were anywhere from 10% to 30% based on the cost of the wine i.e. cheaper wines carried a lower discount. The 18% gratuity was added to the bill for the wine when it was purchased, not when it was consumed. Hope this helps.

Sorry but, something is very wrong with what you stated.

So if I buy one bottle and they discount it 10% and then add in the 18% gratuity, I am paying 8% more than the ship price

Buy 2 bottles and discount 20% and paying 2% less

And, buy 3 bottles and discount 30% and paying 12% less than the ships price.

Am questioning as on all cruises we have been on the gratuity is included in the price of the wine. Assume the wine bottle pricing on Oceania includes the gratuity as well thus the question. And, if the wine price does not included the gratuity, and we want to drink the wine in our cabin, the questions above remain as we would be paying more at the bazaar.

Please further explain the payment system as it appears to be weird.

Thanks,

Rallydave, I was hoping an Oceania regular would answer here, but as they didn't I'll give my experience. I have not sailed O yet, but have sailed several other lines and am assuming their wine by the bottle sales are similar. Please, an O-ophile correct me if mistaken.

Usually the tables set up for wine by the bottle at a discounted price is put on by the hospitality side (food & beverage). The deal is generally similar to the discounts the poster spoke of - 10% off 1 bottle, 20% off 2 bottles, 30% off 3 or more bottles; sometimes it is a pre-grouped set of bottles at a set price. You purchase the bottles as a paper transaction and sign for it, but you don't walk away with any actual bottles. The bottles are stored for you by the beverage manager under your cabin number. When you call for them in a venue, such as a restaurant, wine bar, or room service, they are brought and served to you, just as they would be had you ordered them from a menu in those places. And, again the same as if you had ordered a bottle of wine from a menu in those places, they incur the 18% gratuity.

The only liquor aboard a ship that does not incur a gratuity, and is sold as the price on the bottle with no upcharge, is that sold in the duty free store onboard. And that beverage is usually held for you until just before disembarkation.

Again, my experience in purchasing wine by the bottle on other lines....

I would hope that if I am paying an 18% gratuity, I can drink a bottle of these wines in my cabin if I choose to do so.

Of course you may, they ask at the time of purchase whether you want the wine held for service in a restaurant or lounge, or sent to your stateroom.

Sorry but, something is very wrong with what you stated.

So if I buy one bottle and they discount it 10% and then add in the 18% gratuity, I am paying 8% more than the ship price

Buy 2 bottles and discount 20% and paying 2% less

And, buy 3 bottles and discount 30% and paying 12% less than the ships price.

Am questioning as on all cruises we have been on the gratuity is included in the price of the wine. Assume the wine bottle pricing on Oceania includes the gratuity as well thus the question. And, if the wine price does not included the gratuity, and we want to drink the wine in our cabin, the questions above remain as we would be paying more at the bazaar.

Please further explain the payment system as it appears to be weird.

Thanks,

The gratuity is extra.

So for example, the "normal" price of a bottle on board is $100. If you bought it, it would be $118 ($100 + 18% gratuity = drink it wherever you like but if it's solely in your cabin, you're better off buying one in port so that you don't pay the mark-up or the gratuity).

If you bought it at the bazaar at 10% off, it would be $90 plus $16.20 = $106.20 instead of the $118, so you're not paying 8% more once you look at the final tallies (you're saving 11.8%).

my friends, please don't try to have answers to every little question. travel I mystery and discovery. that's what separates it from staying home.

I see your new to these boards..that is exactly what we do, share information.

You need not reed to read the whole discussion or any of it for that matter and you can be totally surprised when you travel if thats what you want. Often times being prepared is a good thing. Good luck doing it your way!

Archived