Beach Club Breakdown - Includes Prices (September 2013)

Cruise Critic Chris

On 1/22/2019 at 11:40 PM, LuckyLori said:

I went to Blue Kay’s Facebook page and messaged them.  They told me $35 per person for 3 hour free bar and a couple options for free lunch.  That includes pads for the chairs.  The 3 hours starts when you get there.  They also offer snorkeling from a boat that cost $25 per person and takes about 90 minutes, that is offered every 2 hours starting at 9:00.  But you can snorkel from the beach.  She said a taxi to Blue Kay will cost $10 max and take about 5 minutes.  They don’t have lockers but will hold you stuff at the counter while we snorkel.

We are planning on going there.  If we don’t party to late after the Super Bowl our plan is to go snorkeling at 9:00 and staying until 2:30!!

There are a few videos on you tube if you want to check them out!!

Just so you know, a cab from the port is only $3 there and $2 back.

They must have gotten rid of the lockers. They use to have them.

On 1/24/2019 at 1:48 PM, mitsugirly said:

Just so you know, a cab from the port is only $3 there and $2 back.

They must have gotten rid of the lockers. They use to have them.

Taxis are charging “per taxi” now - $8 for up to 4 people 

On 12/12/2013 at 10:03 PM, mitsugirly said:

We went to Almaplena, even further down and it was HEAVEN. It's the beautiful water you think about when you are in the Caribbean. Simply perfect.

PC170052-L.jpg

It is a 20 minute drive one way instead of the 5 minute drive to the Malecon. People who cruise with Carnival usually won't consider this place since they don't have as much time in Costa Maya as others.

What time of the year did you go to the resort?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I tried email Blue Kay several times at different addresses, information and reservations.  They never replied.  I finally resorted to contacting them through Facebook.  The prices have jumped from January to now, March.  The 3 hour all inclusive is now $45, in January it was $35. The pay as you go entry is $12 a person which pays for 2 drinks.  Looks like this is more inconsistency in their pricing or a serious jump in pricing.  Maybe I just got a hold of someone on a bad day.  Looks like Almaplena will be the better deal, all day for $59, including transportation.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Discovering this goldmine of info thanks to a fellow Cruise Critic member. However some of this info dates a bit so I'm not sure what's current.

We'll be spending a day in Costa Maya and I'm looking for a nice Beach Club, more on the ideally with a pool (but not a must) and preferably not All Inclusive (but I don't mind if it's a high end one). Thanks for any recommendations!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am a get a pina colada and walk into the water neck deep while drinking it kind of person.  When it is gone, walk out and put the glass on a beach chair.  Then walk back out neck deep again.  Just relax and watch people for a while.  Lay back and float while staring at the sky letting the gentle waves move me around.  Head back to shore and get another pina colada.  Get back in the water and drink it.

I will do that for hours on end.  My kind of fun.

However, if there is something like the grass described in this thread touching my feet, I will freak out!

My wife will lay on a beach chair most if the day drinking frozen drinks.

Which beach has the least grass? 

How deep is the water?

Any recommendations for what I would find the most relaxing?

Of course a couple shrimp tacos would make it all better!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 12/12/2013 at 6:26 PM, mitsugirly said:

This is a picture I took from the web that's right in front of Tropicante:

view-from-chair.jpg

This was a picture from Nohoch right down from it (same beach of course) that I took the day we were there. As you can see, my hubby is WAY out there and it's still not deep and he's standing on the seagrass.

P5160123-L.jpg

This is what's was under the water:

P5160113-L.jpg

P5160064-L.jpg

This is the darker areas:

P5160052-L.jpg

It kinda went in humps all over. You would be able to stand on those areas and then it would drop off in a little "pool" like area here and there. But you could walk out for quite a distance.

Just beware, some of the drops offs have surprises waiting in that area hiding.

P5160060-L.jpg

I'm not in ANY way trying to tell you not to go here. I just want you to know what's there and what the water is like. If you're expecting crystal blue clear water, like you usually do in the Caribbean, it's just not really the same and there is a lot of seagrass.

Hi! So I have read most of your reviews over the years and I think that you and your family have similar tastes in snorkeling and beach days as we do. In your honest opinion which place in Costa Maya did  you enjoyed the most? Thanks so much! 

P.S my favorite review of yours  was the one where your oldest daughter tried buying a pet monkey! Great reading 😀😀

On 9/17/2019 at 5:14 PM, Trinam2 said:

Hi! So I have read most of your reviews over the years and I think that you and your family have similar tastes in snorkeling and beach days as we do. In your honest opinion which place in Costa Maya did  you enjoyed the most? Thanks so much! 

P.S my favorite review of yours  was the one where your oldest daughter tried buying a pet monkey! Great reading 😀😀

Well, we just recently went to CM last month and we ended up going to the waterpark they have there (I know not the true authentic type of thing to do) but it's become a fav of ours. We had so much fun that day.

But, as far as beaches go, my favorite has always been Blue Kay. The beach is just beautiful, the water is awesome and I like that it's not deep in the area all the way out to the snorkeling. It's the only place I have found that had ok snorkeling with plenty to explore. Even though it's on the Malecon, it's so different than the other beach club places from the beach itself to the water. Now I will say this...it has been changing since the first time I was there. No one knew about the place and it was so awesome the first time I was there. The second time, it started getting more popular and they started charging a small amount (which included several drinks and rental of the chairs I believe) and they had the first full row in the main area full of chairs that are reserved for (I believe) the beach club next door which has possibly an excursion for cruisers??? that come there. It's still a beautiful place and plenty of space to spread out and the small fee doesn't compare to other places and at least you get something in return.

Haha on the favorite review of Kendra trying to buy a monkey. LOL  She did end up buying one a few months later (but drove to Texas to buy it) and "Myla" is now 2 years old. She's so loving and smart too! She's my "grandmonkey" (instead of granddaughter). She goes everywhere with Kendra, including 4 wheeling and camping. :)

• 1 month later...

I just checked Blue Kay's website, and prices have gone WAY up.  $49.95 pp for adults and $19.95 for kids 6-12.  That's way out of the range for us, since we rarely eat or drink much off the ship but the snorkeling and Jaime himself are such a big draw.  I'm going to try to email him and see if that's the only pricing structure he has.  We'd been to Nohoch Kay years ago, and truly enjoyed the experience.  I truly miss the old days of ala carte.  I'll check back in with any answers.

1 hour ago, Birdnutty said:

I just checked Blue Kay's website, and prices have gone WAY up.  $49.95 pp for adults and $19.95 for kids 6-12.  That's way out of the range for us, since we rarely eat or drink much off the ship but the snorkeling and Jaime himself are such a big draw.  I'm going to try to email him and see if that's the only pricing structure he has.  We'd been to Nohoch Kay years ago, and truly enjoyed the experience.  I truly miss the old days of ala carte.  I'll check back in with any answers.

Do you mean Jaimie at Blue REEF?

I was told the loungers were only reserved for AI and hotel guests but you were free to PAYG at the tables. IF there were loungers free you MAY be able to use them. Let me know if you hear differently.

We also like a la carte because I don’t like to be stuck at one location.

Yes, I was confused, apparently.  You are right - here is the reply I received from his assistant, Nicole, early this morning.  I was impressed by the speed of the response.

"You and your friends are welcome to come to the restaurant any time without a reservation and order a la carte.  All of our tables have an ocean view.  Unfortunately, we have to reserve our lounge chairs on the beach for our hotel guests and all-inclusive packages.  Of course, if we are not sold out, we will do our best to find you all a spot on the beach. Right now we don't look too busy on your arrival day so we should be able to seat you on the beach."

Of course, that's a crap shoot and depends on how many cruise ships are in port

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2013 at 9:25 AM, Cruise Critic Chris said:

I spent some time in Costa Maya exploring the various beach clubs that cater to cruise line passengers, both all-inclusive and non. Bottom line: It seems like there is a beach club for every type of passenger, and every price range. Almost all of the club owners I met were gregarious and outgoing, and are doing their best to create repeat customers. The shoreline along Mahahual itself has a fair amount of seagrass, but most beach club owners do their best to keep the sand raked and presentable.

Note: Prices are valid as of September 2013. The smaller the resort, the more likely you should make an advance reservation.

Almaplena

Where: Located about 19 km outside of Mahahual, Almaplena has the distinction of being away from Costa Maya’s main beach. The sand is a little whiter and finer out here, and the vibe is a little quieter. No vendors. Owner Andrea and his wife Monica are Italian, and run a small eco-friendly hotel on the premises.

Cost: $59 per person; 3 and under free.

Size: 20 people

What’s included: Transportation, unlimited alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, volleyball, sand toys for kids, all-you-can-eat full Mexican buffet.

What’s not: Massages ($25/30 minutes; $45/60 minutes, reservation required).

Jungle Beach Club (Uvero)

Where: The largest beach club in Costa Maya, the Jungle Beach Club is owned by the port and is the base of operations for cruise line excursions, including regular and power snorkeling, SNUBA, boat blast, ATVs and mini-Jeeps (because these tours sell out, you need to buy them before you arrive; it’s very difficult to walk up and get a spot). Excursions include transportation to the beach, which is about a 20 minute drive north from the main port and Mahahual. The port is planning major investment at the club, with ambitious additions – including private cabanas, an underwater snorkeling museum and a water bouncy castle – planned in the next few years. There is vendor shopping on the premises and they are allowed to walk around the club.

Cost: Depends on the cruise line, but the range is $39-$49/adults on regular lines, $95 on luxury lines.

Size: Up to 900, although a more typical day draws 300.

What’s included: Transportation, unlimited alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, kayaks, beach volleyball, sand toys.

What’s not: Massages ($35/30 minutes; $60/60 minutes), snorkeling equipment if you aren’t on an excursion ($10), food, unless specified in your excursion (an order of nachos costs $8). Wave runners coming later this year.

Maya Chan

Where: While still technically on the Mahahual beach, Maya Chan is a little further removed from the Malecon action. The vibe is homey and friendly, and the American owner Mark Ostrow and his son David have engendered a loyal following, both on Cruise Critic and TripAdvisor. Vendors are not allowed.

Cost: $59/adult (discounted rate for groups); $49/children 8-17; $30/children 4-7; $19/children 3 and under.

Size: 50 people

What’s included: Transportation, unlimited alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, a range of beach chair types, all-you-can eat Mexican buffet (try the guacamole), kayak use and tours, snorkeling use and tours, varying activities such as sand castle competition or tequila tasting, inflatable floats, bikes, Wi-fi.

What’s not: Massages ($25/30 minutes; $45/1 hour), scuba diving

Nacionale

Where: In the heart of the Malecon, Nacionale is more of a pay-as-you-go experience.

Cost: $10 for a chair

Size: 18 chairs

What’s included: Use of mini-pool, showers, restroom and Wifi

What’s not: Food and drink, although extensive menu is available. Local beer costs $3. Chips and salsa cost $4. No water toys.

Nohoch Kay

Where: At the end of the main part of the Malecon, Nohoch Kay is another club that has a loyal following on Cruise Critic and TripAdvisor. Owner Jaime Cueto Strimpopulos stresses personal service and says he greets every visitor personally. Vendors are not allowed.

Cost: $50/adults; $30/ages 11-17; $20/children 5-10; Free/children 4 and under.

Size: 50 chairs, with another 50 seats in the restaurant

What’s included: Food (the restaurant is known for its shrimp tacos), unlimited alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, kayaks, floats, beach toys, equipment for off-the-beach snorkeling, Wi-Fi

What’s not: Snorkeling excursions off catamarans ($40/2.5 hour tour to two reefs). Massages ($30/30 minutes, $50/60 minutes).

Pez Quadro (40 Canones)

Where: Part of the 40 Cannons hotel, Pez Quadro offers beach club services that include consistent food (including a well-praised breakfast for early cruisers) and access to the nicely appointed lounge. Owners are part of Mahahual’s growing Italian community.

Cost: 3 packages, ranging from $25 to $45. All packages include a beach chair, open bar, and some food.

Size: 120 beach chairs

What’s included: Lockers, showers, WiFi,

What’s not: Kayaks ($10), snorkeling tour ($15), bikes ($10), stand-up paddleboarding ($10), wave runners ($50/30 minutes), Flyboard ($100/30 minutes), fishing ($50/excursion).

Ola Beach Club/Quinto Sole

Where: This boutique hotel, part of the Koox hotel group owned by partners from Barcelona, is expanding into the beach break business. The loungers are more upscale than you find elsewhere on the beach - think Miami-style beds, some with shade.

Cost: $35

What’s included: 2 hour open bar, Mexican lunch, Wi-Fi

What’s not: Massages

Tequila Beach Club

Where: With all the equipment it has available (for extra fees), this large beach bar and activity operator on the Malecon strip might be a good choice for groups who want to try different water sports. Owner points out that anyone is allowed to walk on the beach under Mexican law, but vendors are not supposed to disturb guests at their tables (the club has an area for handicrafts).

Cost: $26/non-alcoholic drinks; $39/open bar

Size: 250

What’s included: Unlimited drinks (depending on your purchased package), one dish of chips and salsa, kayaks, Wi-Fi

What’s not: Full restaurant, massage ($30/60 minutes), pool table ($5/1 hour), towels ($2), snorkeling equipment and tours ($32/90 minutes), SCUBA (ranges from $78-$120), wave runners ($65/30 minutes; $95/60 minutes), golf cart rental ($80/day), fly fishing ($80), stand-up paddleboarding ($55/1 hour), transportation ($3).

Tropicante

Where: In the middle of the Malecon, Tropicante is a restaurant owned by American Steve Uhl that also offers beach chairs and services to its customers. Cruise passengers can reserve shade chairs or sun loungers with umbrellas in advance. He says that he’s promoting an atmosphere somewhere “between Senor Frog’s and Chuck E. Cheese.”

Cost: No cost for the chairs, or minimums. Menu items range from chips and salsa ($3) to a shrimp dinner ($14). Local beers are $3.

Size: 40 loungers, with more seating in the restaurant

What’s included: Wi-Fi, concierge services (the team will bring hair braiders or temporary tattoo artists to your chair, for example, although those services themselves will cost extra).

What’s not: Massages ($20/30 minutes, $30/60 minutes), snorkeling ($25/70 minutes), banana boat ($15/30 minutes), fishing ($50-$75/hr, depending on type), stand-up paddle boarding ($20/30 minutes, $30/60 minutes), discovery SCUBA ($85).

This is a pretty old post....has anything changed about any of these beach clubs?

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/27/2020 at 8:28 PM, lorroth1 said:

This is a pretty old post....has anything changed about any of these beach clubs?

‘I am not sure that @Cruise Critic Chris uses only this screen name now so not sure she will see your post. But while I know it’s impossible to keep up with all the details of various ports, I would love to see an update since she did a pretty amazing job the first time! We have not been to a beach club there yet and since I am late getting reservations for our March cruise due to a death in our family Maya Chan was already booked and it’s the only one I knew enough about so I felt confident. If this Chris is the one I think it is, she would definitely know!

Anyone been to Yaya beach lately?

P.S. someone asked recently (relative to this thread anyway) about the shuttle price - $3 per person (but word is from one of the owners of a beach club who emailed me today is that it can be a long ride and the service is “inconsistent” (his word). With such a low priced taxi, shuttle doesn’t make much sense in my view.

Edited by AlohaLivin

• 4 months later...
On 1/27/2020 at 8:28 PM, lorroth1 said:

Nacional now offers a pay one price that includes all you can drink, a 20 minute massage, and a good lunch and breakfast if you are there in time.  The food and drink are above average.  There is a plunge pool on the terrace but it was a bit green the day I was there. I was well taken care of on the beach. The beach isn't particularly great, just average and you have to avoid the seagrass.  No water toys or other features.  The price was around $110 and included my taxi both ways.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/27/2013 at 8:25 AM, Cruise Critic Chris said:

I spent some time in Costa Maya exploring the various beach clubs that cater to cruise line passengers, both all-inclusive and non. Bottom line: It seems like there is a beach club for every type of passenger, and every price range. Almost all of the club owners I met were gregarious and outgoing, and are doing their best to create repeat customers. The shoreline along Mahahual itself has a fair amount of seagrass, but most beach club owners do their best to keep the sand raked and presentable.

Note: Prices are valid as of September 2013. The smaller the resort, the more likely you should make an advance reservation.

On 9/27/2013 at 8:25 AM, Cruise Critic Chris said:

OP - Is it possible for you to edit the title of this thread to remove 2013 from the title, in hopes that more people read it and participate?

All of us traveling to Costa Maya after the Covid shutdown could really use all the new information that other cruisers might update on here.

On 7/17/2022 at 11:47 AM, MississippiMom said:

OP - Is it possible for you to edit the title of this thread to remove 2013 from the title, in hopes that more people read it and participate?

All of us traveling to Costa Maya after the Covid shutdown could really use all the new information that other cruisers might update on here.

Somebody just needs to do a thoroughly updated post.

Just changing the title still won't get rid of pages of outdated information contained within.

• Like 1