LIVE from the Royal Princess - 30 days, Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale - 9/27 - 10/27

Pia1913

Hello Royal Cruisers....

Could someone please check out the wedding chapel. I'm getting married on the Royal in Feb 2014 and although there is a wedding thread most brides sail on RCCL or Carnival.

Does the chapel have chairs, benches, a piano? Does is open into the concierge lounge? Any info would be helpful.

Thanks

just go to www.princess.com/royal and look at the bridge cam or the Wedding chapel cam. Also, look at the deck plans to see where everything is located. I think you'll find it is well positioned for a wedding and a reception (well, unless you have several hundred there!) :eek:

Hi There,

These are my views,

The wedding chapel on the Royal is nice but not as good as on other Grand class ships,

reasons being no sea views, no door out onto deck, no bar next door,

also its short but wide, I liked the Grand class ships which were long and thin,

it meant the bride had a nice longer walk up the isle,

however it is linked to the lounge, so good for party etc, it is in a quite spot on the ship, and is more private.

I did no see a piano, but there is room for one, so might be one there now.

yours Shogun

Anyone been to the Sea Walk or the Sea View Bar? Are they spectacular Anyone been to the Chef's Table yet of planning to go to one. The specific area for that looks impressive too. Any comments on either one of these?

Ann;

Haven't really noticed any light changes. Funny thing you mentioned the "Sea Walk." In the hit & miss category' date=' I think it's a big miss for Princess. Much was made about being high off the water and looking down (not out) at the ocean. When you walk on it what you are actually looking down at (98% of the time) is the promenade patios (both sides). This just my personal observation......:):):)

Bob[/i']

Edited by Woobstr112G

Ann;

Haven't really noticed any light changes. Funny thing you mentioned the "Sea Walk." In the hit & miss category, I think it's a big miss for Princess. Much was made about being high off the water and looking down (not out) at the ocean. When you walk on it what you are actually looking down at (98% of the time) is the promenade patios (both sides). This just my personal observation......:):):)

Bob

Bob...are you doing the chefs table? How's is your experience in the MDR....?..

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Bob...are you doing the chefs table? How's is your experience in the MDR....?..

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We decided not to do the CT. We've actually only done the MDR once but it was good. Interesting thing about the CT. I was eating breakfast this am in Sabatini's when in strolled Alfredo Marzi. I didn't know he was onboard.....

Bob

When you walk on it what you are actually looking down at (98% of the time) is the promenade patios (both sides). Bob

I didn't think a person could look down from the Sea View Bar (port side).

Can both sides look into the balconies below?

Some of those balconies look to be the largest on the ship.

Here are some of my observations:

The Princess Theater has no cup holder or small table for drinks.

The elevators are driving me crazy. With some elevator areas, the push of one button lights up them all, which is nice. This is true of the mid-ship elevators. In other areas, there are separate buttons for each side of the ship.

The Retreat is free. The cabanas in the Retreat are not.

I heard tonight that some people are abusing the laundry perk. As an example, one person sent out five bags of clothes which included 15 pairs of pants. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out. It's still taking 3-4 (or more) days to get laundry back. It's thought that there will be a cut-off date for when we can send out laundry, probably 4-5 days before the end of the cruise.

I've met some great people on this cruise and it's nice seeing friends from previous cruises. People seem to be enjoying themselves and other than some rude and downright nasty people (which you are likely to get on every cruise), the atmosphere is positive. It's easy to nitpick as it's not perfect but for me, the good outweighs the bad by a lot.

Billco: Where are you? Haven't met you yet Or have I?
We haven't met, but I have been following your live threads for years. We have probably been on the treadmills at the same time, I think.

BTW, there are three of us taking the TRX class now. The personal trainers have been alternating and all three are doing great.

Ann;

Haven't really noticed any light changes. Funny thing you mentioned the "Sea Walk." In the hit & miss category, I think it's a big miss for Princess. Much was made about being high off the water and looking down (not out) at the ocean. When you walk on it what you are actually looking down at (98% of the time) is the promenade patios (both sides). This just my personal observation......:):):)

Bob

Thanks Bob. I got the impression it was going to be very much like the Sky Walk at the Grand Canyon but guess that is not the case. Very interesting. Appreciate the response.

Hi there

Pics from Chefs table

bth_DSCN3276_zps4e1d944f.jpg

bth_DSCN3273_zps3b0c1683.jpg

bth_DSCN3272_zpsa296f92f.jpg

My advise is do the wine makers diner instead, while chefs table is nice,

Royal set up not as good as other ships, although the table and setting is amazing.

yours Shogun

Thank you for your insight into the Chef's Table. Have not heard of th Wine Maker's Dinner but will check into that. Is that also offered on ohter ships or just the Royal?

I'd like to thank everyone who takes the time and effort to post their " Live " observations while cruising. You provide a valuable source of information to the members of Cruise Critic. Thank you for your postings.

Good morning (0734 local time) from the Royal Princess. We are still en route to Maderia. I believe we are suppose to arrive around 0900. We have a private excursion planned with other r/c members. When we get back to the ship, I will try and figure out what will be on our calendar for the evening.

Last night we had dinner at Alfredo's. Food was once again excellent.

Not much else to report. Take Care and I hope all are well.....:):):)

Bob

Almost to Madeira on this Saturday morning the 19th of October. The capital of Madeira is Funchal, which is a Portuguese autonomous archipelago. Prince Henry the Navigator sent many expeditions into the Atlantic in the early 15th century, and Madeira was one of his first prizes. The area became a frequent stop for ships on their way to or from Africa, Asia and the

Americas. Because of the great profusion of trees, it was named Madeira, which means “wooded.”

Funchal is noted for its hand embroidery and wicker ware as well as its famous wine. Last time we were here we tasted some. Not for me. We have no structured plans for today. Will just meander about the port area if possible. Princess is running a shuttle at $16/pp RT to a shopping mall. We’ve been there and it’s not very impressive. You can walk to it if you can master the hills. That’s what we did a few years ago; can’t do it now. Must mention the comic from last night; Darrell Joyce. He was terrific. Very funny with new material too.

Some things to do if you stay aboard:

1. Play trivia

2. Play scrabble

3. See “Parental Guidance”

4. Play “win,lose or draw”

5. Have tea

6. Play ping pong

As you can see, not a whole lot to do during the day.

On stage tonight in Vista is male singer Jesse Hamilton, mentalist Brent Webb in the theater and The Great Gatsby on MUTS. Princess Live will have the Yes/No game, followed by the body language game show in Vista. I goofed on the Yes/No game last cruise and know nothing about the body language game. Since we will gain an hour of sleep tonight, perhaps I will stay up late enough to find out. There’s also a late movie at 10:30 in Princess Live; Searching for Sugarman.

Comments:

1. Rich: 700 Elite? There are more than 1200. One laundry cannot possibly accommodate all this extra laundry in a timely fashion. This is not a normal cruise.

2. Seaview Bar and seawalk: I pass them both every day; usually more than once. I wasn’t meant to “walk on water” and not going to start. Bar seems to be very underutilized.

3. Hotel manager told us the Regal will have a better location for toilet paper holder. Should make lots of people happy.

4. There will not be a promenade on the Regal, so no use complaining about it and hoping it suddenly appears.

5. Capt. Draper will leave at the end of November (I spoke with him directly). He returns some time in January.

6. Alfredo Marzi joined us at the MTL and spoke to everyone at every table.

7. Mike: please read Mapu. I do not want sole control; never have. And I do a lot more than you say, though I don't share it all with strangers. :rolleyes:

8. Billco: Please introduce yourself. I'm all in black and usually at a treadmill closer to the entry.

9. It's now 7:58; gym was almost empty and it's still dark outside.

Here are some of my observations:

The Princess Theater has no cup holder or small table for drinks.

The elevators are driving me crazy. With some elevator areas, the push of one button lights up them all, which is nice. This is true of the mid-ship elevators. In other areas, there are separate buttons for each side of the ship.

The Retreat is free. The cabanas in the Retreat are not.

I heard tonight that some people are abusing the laundry perk. As an example, one person sent out five bags of clothes which included 15 pairs of pants. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out. It's still taking 3-4 (or more) days to get laundry back. It's thought that there will be a cut-off date for when we can send out laundry, probably 4-5 days before the end of the cruise.

I've met some great people on this cruise and it's nice seeing friends from previous cruises. People seem to be enjoying themselves and other than some rude and downright nasty people (which you are likely to get on every cruise), the atmosphere is positive. It's easy to nitpick as it's not perfect but for me, the good outweighs the bad by a lot.

Hey, what is the weather like in that neck of the woods? Just curious; have not yet taken a cruise across the pond - but it is on my "retirement" bucket list of things to do.:) Is it warm, hot, cold, ????? :confused: Thx.

Debbie

I'd like to thank everyone who takes the time and effort to post their " Live " observations while cruising. You provide a valuable source of information to the members of Cruise Critic. Thank you for your postings.

Ditto to that!

• Administrators

Thank you so much to those furnishing us with "live from" reports on the Royal Princess's first transatlantic voyage. I think one of the most amazing things about Cruise Critic is the live reports from members willing to take the rest of us along on their vacations!

I would respectfully ask everyone to please keep in mind that these members are doing this on a volunteer basis, because they are willing to share information with the rest of us and they know their fellow members are eager for information. We all know that shipboard internet can be slow, frustrating, and expensive. Please help those doing the "live from" as much as possible by trying to keep discussion in this thread on topic.

My post is actually off topic, because it doesn't relate to this voyage of the Royal Princess or pose a question about it. Accordingly, please address any concerns or questions via email to community@cruisecritic.com

Thanks again to our onboard "reporters" -- I hope the rest of your voyage is amazing, and I look forward to reading all about it!

Jimmy, you hit it right.

Pia, I couldn't drink my morning coffee without reading your posts.

I was told by Pia to post on here because her email is slow on the ship.

Hi Pia, Batmitzvah weekend is here for our Granddaughter. Now I feel so happy that I cancelled the Transatlantic portion. Family is first. Will tell you all about when you are home.

Have a nice day in Madiera. Last time we were there with you and Mike, sitting at outdoor cafe having coffees and Icecream.

Just an observation from one who does not post often, only when she has something to say:D - but who gleams a whole lot of great info from these boards.

In Pia's case - if she has not been to the port before and is taking a tour or just a walk around town, we find out something about the port. That's good enough for me. Sometimes she has been to the port many times but still tells us how they got around town and what there is to see close to the ship. Others on this thread have posted of their experiences in port - a port that is new to them. So both ways we win. Also nice to hear what the cost of getting into town is - shuttle, taxi etc. All good info to store away if you are planning a cruise to the area.

Pia, can't wait for your Live From next year - Africa I believe is in the plans...

To Pia, Bob, Pam and all others on the Royal who are giving us a way to 'travel along with you' - good job and thank you!

Pat