LIVE from the Royal Princess - 30 days, Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale - 9/27 - 10/27

Pia1913

The following comments are not meant to start a war, but I have heard so many comments about rude and demanding passengers. I have to wonder if the fact that there were so many elites on board that created this atmosphere.

I have witnessed in many situations where people with status have the "Do you know who I am" syndrome. Obviously , this is not the case with everyone or even the majority, but it just takes a few of a similar mindset to ruin things.

Finally in regards to the ship, I think they was a huge expectation that Royal would be a larger Grand type ship with enhancements. I have noticed that Princess has a very loyal following. The Grand class ships are very similar . On other cruise lines, individual ships from the same class have different themes and the names of public spaces and decor are tailored to the theme. The similarities of the Princess ships make people feel comfortable. Deck 6 on the Crown is identical to Deck 6 on the Emerald including the names of the public spaces. This would never happen on RCCL or CCL.

Essentially, Princess threw everyone a sort of curve ball. Features that loyal passengers have come to expect have been changed. It doesn't make the ship bad just different. My guess is that in time, this ship and its twin will convert many to the Princess brand and that it will be found that those with experience on other cruise lines will appreciated the differences more that those that expect the Wheelhouse bar to always be on deck 7 directly across from Facets.

The following comments are not meant to start a war, but I have heard so many comments about rude and demanding passengers. I have to wonder if the fact that there were so many elites on board that created this atmosphere.

I have witnessed in many situations where people with status have the "Do you know who I am" syndrome. Obviously , this is not the case with everyone or even the majority, but it just takes a few of a similar mindset to ruin things.

Finally in regards to the ship, I think they was a huge expectation that Royal would be a larger Grand type ship with enhancements.

While you are right that there are some who have a "Do you know who I am" attitude, I don't think that was the case on the Royal. Nor do I think it was due to the number of Elite passengers. I've seen far ruder behavior on Caribbean cruises with mostly new cruisers. You'll have some rude people on a ship, any ship of any line, no matter what. And, there have been cruises with far more Elite onboard.

IMHO, I think quite a bit of the general rudeness was due to frustration. There was big time frustration with the elevators as well as with the laundry situation. These were two major issues that affected many of us. Once you realize you're going to have to re-wear dirty underwear because the laundry hasn't been returned after four days, it colors your attitude and perceptions. When almost every elevator is a "local" because the two port side and two starboard side elevators aren't synced, it gets annoying. Or, when the elevators are full because people have gotten fed up with waiting so they go up to go down or down to go up.

I personally don't care whether a ship is Grand-class or not. There's nothing on a Grand-class ship that's make or break for me and I don't think I'm alone. There were a few things on the Royal I was looking forward to: the Piazza and the buffet. Neither disappointed. The rest, I didn't care strongly about one way or the other.

Even though I was frustrated at times, I had a great cruise, liked the Royal and am looking forward to my September cruise on her. It's easy to vent about a few things and have it appear as though it was an overall negative experience. It wasn't. There are a lot of really good things about the Royal that I enjoyed.

I was booked on this cruise, but had to cancel about a week before departure for medical reasons.

IMHO, I think Princess hyped the Royal to a point that expectations were raised to a level Princess could not fulfill. I have never seen any ship that was so heavily promoted with the artist renderings and digital films of the ship wonderful accouterments.

Although, I was unable to make the cruise, I have followed this thread daily and thank you to the real LIVE POSTERS, but too much off topic hijacking as PIA mentioned.

For me, I think the Royal has missed the mark and I will stick to the older Crown, Emerald, Ruby class of ships.

I am sure their are many who loved the Royal and many who love any cruise, but for me, just my opinion, as a loyal Princess cruiser, my next cruise is a first on HAL that Won Eight 2013 Readers' Choice Awards From Porthole Cruise Magazine. So I will give HAL a chance.

I was booked on this cruise, but had to cancel about a week before departure for medical reasons.

IMHO, I think Princess hyped the Royal to a point that expectations were raised to a level Princess could not fulfill. I have never seen any ship that was so heavily promoted with the artist renderings and digital films of the ship wonderful accouterments.

They knew in advance of the non promenade and yet expected it to be there. They knew in advance of the lack of stairs midship and yet expected those too to miraculously appear.

Although, I was unable to make the cruise, I have followed this thread daily and thank you to the real LIVE POSTERS, but too much off topic hijacking as PIA mentioned.

For me, I think the Royal has missed the mark and I will stick to the older Crown, Emerald, Ruby class of ships.

We loved our 30 days and in fact are scheduled on the above three; two in December and the other in February

I am sure their are many who loved the Royal and many who love any cruise, but for me, just my opinion, as a loyal Princess cruiser, my next cruise is a first on HAL that Won Eight 2013 Readers' Choice Awards From Porthole Cruise Magazine. So I will give HAL a chance.

I think you need to cruise on her to make a definitive decision. We tend to like every ship we're on, since being on a ship is much better than not being on one. :)

I think you need to cruise on her to make a definitive decision. We tend to like every ship we're on, since being on a ship is much better than not being on one. :)

Unlike some, I don't seem to be able to afford to cruise so frequently. :D

So I tend to choose on what I think I would like. No more Caribbeans (where the Royal is now), been their done that too many times. Four Tran-Atlantic cruises, so now more itinerary driven.

Thanks Pia and enjoy your upcoming cruises.

Edited by weberman

One online video was heavily promoting how special and different the sports court area would be.

I have not seen one post from any of the live froms that mentioned the sports court, so I suspect it was not very special when compared to the Grand class equivlent.

Bill;

I think you are making the right choice. I doubt I'll ever consider booking a future cruise on the Royal/Regal.....

Bob

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

One online video was heavily promoting how special and different the sports court area would be.

I have not seen one post from any of the live froms that mentioned the sports court, so I suspect it was not very special when compared to the Grand class equivlent.

When I looked at it, I thought it looked about 95% like the SC's on the Emerald and Ruby.....

Bob

While you are right that there are some who have a "Do you know who I am" attitude, I don't think that was the case on the Royal. Nor do I think it was due to the number of Elite passengers. I've seen far ruder behavior on Caribbean cruises with mostly new cruisers. You'll have some rude people on a ship, any ship of any line, no matter what. And, there have been cruises with far more Elite onboard.

IMHO, I think quite a bit of the general rudeness was due to frustration. There was big time frustration with the elevators as well as with the laundry situation. These were two major issues that affected many of us. Once you realize you're going to have to re-wear dirty underwear because the laundry hasn't been returned after four days, it colors your attitude and perceptions. When almost every elevator is a "local" because the two port side and two starboard side elevators aren't synced, it gets annoying. Or, when the elevators are full because people have gotten fed up with waiting so they go up to go down or down to go up.

I personally don't care whether a ship is Grand-class or not. There's nothing on a Grand-class ship that's make or break for me and I don't think I'm alone. There were a few things on the Royal I was looking forward to: the Piazza and the buffet. Neither disappointed. The rest, I didn't care strongly about one way or the other.

Even though I was frustrated at times, I had a great cruise, liked the Royal and am looking forward to my September cruise on her. It's easy to vent about a few things and have it appear as though it was an overall negative experience. It wasn't. There are a lot of really good things about the Royal that I enjoyed.

The Piazza was beautiful but the Horizon was, IMHO, well laid out, but the food (85%) was truly terrible.....

Bob

After cruising on the Royal, went back to older ship Golden, one I loved in the past.(two weeks later)

Well, the Golden felt old, dated and boring compared to the newer Royal.Something wonderful about new, more modern ship.

For us, we will look at itineraries, but given the same ones, would pick Royal hands down. We now know where we want our cabin to be,either forward or aft and no problem for us using the stairs.

So the toilet paper is in a funky spot, balcony is small (big enough for two of us), only a couple of pools (I never use them anyways), no walkable Promenade deck(go up top and walk in fresh air, or hit the treadmill).

I have the Royal booked again next September and can't wait.

The Piazza was beautiful but the Horizon was, IMHO, well laid out, but the food (85%) was truly terrible.....

Bob

And you know I'm going to disagree with you about the HC food. I realize it's your opinion, but when someone like me (known to be extremely picky about food) finds a whole lot of choices in HC , well................... nothing else to say.

Bob, 85? :eek:

And you know I'm going to disagree with you about the HC food. I realize it's your opinion, but when someone like me (known to be extremely picky about food) finds a whole lot of choices in HC , well................... nothing else to say.

Well said.

Pia...my opinion is the same as yours & I particularly enjoyed the daily Asian choices at lunch.

I have to agree. I know food choice is very subjective, but I put the HC on Royal at the top of the list of what I liked the most on this ship, when compared to the rest of the fleet that we've been on so far.

Did we like every dish? No. But that's normal - not everyone will like everything all the time!

Pia...my opinion is the same as yours & I particularly enjoyed the daily Asian choices at lunch.
I agree with you guys 100% (including Jackie.) Did I like everything in the buffet? Nope. I rarely eat much beef so I got a slice of beef Wellington only once. I love Asian food and salad so I was in 7th heaven with those. The tubs of cooked shrimp with three different sauces to take that were there several times and the fish dishes were excellent. The pastas were delicious. I usually take a bit of a number of different things and finish only what's really good. I finished most everything (and still lost 2-lb.) I didn't discover the hibachi grill area of the Bistro until a couple of days before disembarking. Darn!

Pia regarding your comment on knowing about the lack of promenade deck and central staircase:

When I booked my cruise on the Royal, early spring 2012, the deck plans included a promenade deck as well as a central staircase. (They actually are there, just not useable) I never went back to "check" if anything was added or subtracted from the original artists renditions. Since I have cruised Princess exclusively for the past 15 years, I had no reason to check anything. I love Princess, her ships, her crew. So when I sailed her on July 5th,second grand Med. sailing, I was one of those disappointed with many of the minuses on the Royal. I felt my $6000 fare was not lived up to. After all, Princess marketed this new ship as the cruise ship to end all cruise ships. Yes, her atrium is beautiful..a six star hotel lobby! The expected classic, elegant Princess signature design. After that, it fell flat, for me. I expected the whole package from princess, not just a larger atrium. When I cruise I use the whole ship..minus the sanctuary. So for me, this ship was a royal disappointment.

I posted a review on CC (first time) when I got home to give a heads up to other cruisers who, like me, expected certain standards from Princess. Wow, I didn't realize you were not allowed to post anything negative. (basher??) I was told if I wanted to walk around the promenade deck, I should use the treadmills in the gym..really??

If cruising once a year is all the vacation one has, I thought giving a heads up to cruisers who have specific likes and dislikes a great idea. If I had know about Royal's actual "new" design, perhaps I would have booked another ship. Lesson learned..never book a new cruise ship without concrete deck plans. BTW, I had a great vacation. I just felt I didn't get my hard earned monies worth!

I have no problem sailing any ship and each one will have a room that I will be perfectly fine with. I truly do hope with all this negative publicity that they will be heavily discounting fares at last minute to fill up since all of cruise critic does not plan to sale on the royal. I really do prefer inexpensive cruises with barely any people. Please folks never ever book on the royal or regal so I can have the ship all to my self for next to nothing.

My opinion is different than the two of you.....

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

I agree with you guys 100% (including Jackie.) Did I like everything in the buffet? Nope. I rarely eat much beef so I got a slice of beef Wellington only once. I love Asian food and salad so I was in 7th heaven with those. The tubs of cooked shrimp with three different sauces to take that were there several times and the fish dishes were excellent. The pastas were delicious. I usually take a bit of a number of different things and finish only what's really good. I finished most everything (and still lost 2-lb.) I didn't discover the hibachi grill area of the Bistro until a couple of days before disembarking. Darn!

I disagree with you. Did I like many things in the HC, Nope...........

Bob

Agree! We ate at the HC almost every day for lunch and always found something to like (cioppino, chili, salads of all stripes, the Tex Mex grill etc) and always enjoyed eating out on the Outrigger at the back of the ship. I also enjoyed the pizza. The whole HC layout is a big winner in my opinion. The wine and food pairing was a bargain as compared to the Chef's table and terrific. The Elite-Platinum cocktail hour was a disappointment as it felt to me like a cafeteria table was set up at the stage of a high school auditorium, not to mention any place with "vista" as part of the name should have; oh, I don't know...a vista or some windows or some kind of view! I really missed Skywalkers and as a result only went twice. Ken

I found the fish and pasta always too dry for my taste.

Bob

The wine and food pairing was a bargain as compared to the Chef's table and terrific.

To me the Wine Maker's Dinner was a great addition to the Royal Princess. Having it in the Symphony diningroom's "wine cellar" was great & headwaiter Davide's freshly cooked gnocchi was the best I've ever tasted. Just as they have the Chef's Table in other ships' diningrooms & not just at the Royal's Lumiere, it would be great to have the Wine Maker's Dinner on other ships. The meal was as good as the Crown Grill & for the extra $15/pp there was plenty of free flowing prosecco, white & red wine, limoncello & specialty coffee drinks. :D

Unfortunately the Super Tuscan wine tasting for the same $40 was very overpriced. Of the 5 wines served, 3 were mid-$30 wines & nothing we would do again. The snacks were tasty but to me it was no better wines than at the $25 Sommelier wine tasting.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Agree! We ate at the HC almost every day for lunch and always found something to like (cioppino, chili, salads of all stripes, the Tex Mex grill etc) and always enjoyed eating out on the Outrigger at the back of the ship. I also enjoyed the pizza. The whole HC layout is a big winner in my opinion. The wine and food pairing was a bargain as compared to the Chef's table and terrific. The Elite-Platinum cocktail hour was a disappointment as it felt to me like a cafeteria table was set up at the stage of a high school auditorium, not to mention any place with "vista" as part of the name should have; oh, I don't know...a vista or some windows or some kind of view! I really missed Skywalkers and as a result only went twice. Ken

Ken, agree 100% with your observations. I also really missed Skywalkers and hated the Vista.

Edited by Lynda90