Costa Maya or Cozumel?

NoobCruise

I'm trying to decide on a ship and itinerary. One cruise line goes to Cozumel and the other to Costa Maya. Which port do you prefer? We usually do active/adventurous shore excursions like 4x4 or dune buggies, zip lining, hiking, jet skiing, snorkelling, etc. 3 of us did an AI for a week in Cozumel and got scuba certified and also rented a jeep and toured the whole island. We loved it so I'm not sure if we want to go back or see somewhere new.

Not really. If Costa Maya is a lousy port, then we'd rather go back to Cozumel. However, Costa Maya is also a great port, than we'll go there.

Costa Maya is not a lousy port. We did some great snorkeling there. There may not be all the high activity things going on there, but there is lots to do.

Having been to Cozumel several times, glad we got to do Costa Maya instead on our last cruise.

There are people who love and hate each of these ports for different reasons. I've been to both and they are each (IMHO) a great port.

What I would suggest is that you go to the ports of call section on CC and see what people are doing and saying about the activities.

You can also go to the cruise line web site that you are thinking of using and check out the shore excursions that are available through the ship. Doesn't mean you have to use them as there will be independents available as well after you have made your decision.

Finally I would go to Tripadvisor.com and check out the ratings and reviews of any activities that interest you.

Charlie

Like I said, "different strokes for different folks". OP has been to Coz and not Costa Maya. They like adventure

We usually do active/adventurous shore excursions like 4x4 or dune buggies, zip lining, hiking, jet skiing, snorkelling, etc.

Ship excursions include snorkeling, dolphin swim, dune buggy, biking, canoe, kayak, boat blast, fly fishing, mini-jeep rhino adventure, off road ATV, off road jeep, and paddle boarding.

So, there is something there if they decide to go. When I have Costa Maya on the itinerary I drop down to Mahahual for a beach day. :)

Charlie

Seeing all the activities that you like to do, Costa Maya doesn't offer of them.

So -- another vote for Cozumel.

Ooops. I re-read my post #10. It's too late for me to edit and clarify my remarks so here is the revision:

Ship excursions in Costa Maya include snorkeling, dolphin swim, dune buggy, biking, canoe, kayak, boat blast, fly fishing, mini-jeep rhino adventure, off road ATV, off road jeep, and paddle boarding.

I would check the web site of the cruise line that you are thinking of taking and see which ones are available through them for the cruise you are looking at. Some of the above list may not be available if the ship is not in port long enough. This holds true for Cozumel or Costa Maya.

Apologies to those I confused with my earlier post.

Charlie

Costa Maya is only a cruise ship port built JUST for cruise ships. it is not a town, just a port with shops, bars and a pool. Check what the ship's tours are. Cozumel has tons of things to do.

Haven't been back to Costa Maya in a while but I'd say Cozumel.

Costa Maya is only a cruise ship port built JUST for cruise ships. it is not a town, just a port with shops, bars and a pool. Check what the ship's tours are. Cozumel has tons of things to do.

Haven't been back to Costa Maya in a while but I'd say Cozumel.

Exactly.

The town is there, it's Majahual and it's a 3-minute taxi drive from the cruise terminal. Please avoid going there so we can keep it pristine. Cozumel already is ruined by tourism, let's save Costa Maya.

WOW THANKS for letting us know where the town is. Now I can go someplace new when in Costa Maya.

In Costa Maya we took a cab and went into the fishing village and then had him take us as far south as we could to see the dessert coastal area. Then we came back on another road and saw quite a bit. You can also go to the Mayan ruins and not have to take the rough ferry back from the main land to Cos. They are a different ruin that the Tullum ruins. I also thought the shopping at the pier at Costa was as good as anywhere with regards to meds and other things. They have an office of the tourism service there and they are very helpful. I heard they have improved the beach and pool area but have not seen it so, cannot speak to it.

Archived