Explorer vs. Grandeur

We have been on the Explorer twice and had great cruises both times. We are planning our next cruise and trying to decide which ship. It will be my husband, me and our 18 month old. We will also be taking my mother-in-law and sister-in-law. They have never cruised before. The ports of call are essentially the same. The Grandeur is an additional day, adding Key West as a stop. Anyone have any thoughts on which cruise to pick. Thanks!!!

Explorer is a much larger ship with more bells and whistles. [ie. ice rink,ice show, in-line skating, Johnny Rockets, etc] Also, it had a royal promenade and 3 level MDR. If this is what you want you will not be happy with the GOTS.

Grandeur is much smaller. I like the smaller ship. Also, the solarium on Grandeur is indoors. That is a big plus for me. [i do not see how you can call the outdoor pool area on the Explorer a solarium. :confused:]

Also, I like Key West --so that would be a plus for me.

Explorer is a much larger ship with more bells and whistles. [ie. ice rink,ice show, in-line skating, Johnny Rockets, etc] Also, it had a royal promenade and 3 level MDR. If this is what you want you will not be happy with the GOTS.

Grandeur is much smaller. I like the smaller ship. Also, the solarium on Grandeur is indoors. That is a big plus for me. [i do not see how you can call the outdoor pool area on the Explorer a solarium. :confused:]

Also, I like Key West --so that would be a plus for me.

While when shut it is a solarium in the more defined way, Grandeur's roof opens (one of the few with RCI) to allow it to be an open air pool - similar to the solariums on most of the RCI ships.

Have been on both Explorer and Grandeur twice each and will be on Grandeur a third time in July. I like both for different reasons and in my case the choice between the two would be itinerary based. If the itineraries are similar than you need to compare both ships closely and decide which offers more of what you would enjoy the most.

One thing to consider is Grandeur has more dining options with the Chef's Table, Izumi's, Chops, and Giovanni's Table. There also is a Park Café as well. There also is the pool side big screen and Centrum aerial act.

While when shut it is a solarium in the more defined way, Grandeur's roof opens (one of the few with RCI) to allow it to be an open air pool - similar to the solariums on most of the RCI ships.

Have been on both Explorer and Grandeur twice each and will be on Grandeur a third time in July. I like both for different reasons and in my case the choice between the two would be itinerary based. If the itineraries are similar than you need to compare both ships closely and decide which offers more of what you would enjoy the most.

One thing to consider is Grandeur has more dining options with the Chef's Table, Izumi's, Chops, and Giovanni's Table. There also is a Park Café as well. There also is the pool side big screen and Centrum aerial act.

I believe that they opened the roof last week while we were in Bermuda. I thought I overheard that - we were traveling with a child, so only walked back once to try the infamous roast beef sandwich, which lived up to all the hype!

We have been on both and agree with everyone that they are both great ships but different. You really cannot go wrong with a decision. Key West is a favorite stop for us.

On the Grandeur, cruising the Chesapeake Bay is different. You see land on both sides of the ship for 8 hours. And the channel markers seem to go on forever. Go under 2 bridges and over the Bay Bridge Tunnel. It is eerie to see the traffic lights "disappear" when you are approaching the BBT. It takes 8 hours to reach the ocean when you cruise the Chesapeake.

I have been on both too. We were on the Explorer just this past May. The Grandeur has a smaller ship feel. We had some of the best service on her as well. And while the Explorer is newer it feels older. Finally Chops seals the deal for me - I would choose Grandeur.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

I have to think the choice comes down to whether you might miss the Royal Promenade. I know I wouldn't, but there are a great many cruisers who consider that a big plus to the cruise experience.

I always give extra points to any ship that is Radiance or Vision class because I find that it seems there is more social interaction with the same group of people. On the bigger ships you are less likely to run into the same people repeatedly during the cruise ... so it feels more like a stay in a fancy land-based resort. (you may see the same folks, but you don't greet them and stop to chat).

I have been on both ships and I would choose Explorer hands down. I felt a little cramped on the Grandeur and the ship had some bottlenecks. The Explorer had a more open feel and its always nice to see the Statue of Liberty. :)

I would choose the GOTS for all the reasons other's have stated. I also think it would be slightly easier to get around the ship with an 18 month old.

Others will know better than me if there is a difference in the child care set up or if the Explorer has a toddler/diaper pool space. I know that kids in diapers cannot go in the GOTS pools.

I would choose the GOTS for all the reasons other's have stated. I also think it would be slightly easier to get around the ship with an 18 month old.

Others will know better than me if there is a difference in the child care set up or if the Explorer has a toddler/diaper pool space. I know that kids in diapers cannot go in the GOTS pools.

The only pool area that allows children in a pool while still in diapers is the Splash Zone, which is only on Freedom and Oasis class ships. Neither Explorer or Grandeur has this and a any child in any pool on these ships needs to be completely toilet trained.

I have not been on Explorer, so cannot compare the two, but Grandeur is easy and quick to get around. We had our son in kids club, and were paged. We were there in less than a minute. Also, the outside promenade was very nice; great place to walk/stroll with a little one.

True, kids with diapers are not allowed in pools, but we did see one child in pull-ups in the splash pool. Plus, I saw some parents dipping the little ones feet into the splash pool, or walking them across.

I believe that they opened the roof last week while we were in Bermuda. I thought I overheard that - we were traveling with a child, so only walked back once to try the infamous roast beef sandwich, which lived up to all the hype!

The solarium roof was opened several times on our July Grandeur Bermuda cruise. But it also was kept closed during a shower on one sea day which made the indoor use very nice.

I like both ships and will be on both yet this year. However, I love the port of Baltimore. So easy for embarkation and debarkation. When you get off the ship in Baltimore, you go through customs first, then get your baggage. In Bayonne, you have to lug all your baggage through customs. With a child in tow, I would prefer the Grandeur and Baltimore. Plus, I love Key West and would opt for Grandeur for that alone. I also love the way you can look at the ocean from almost anywhere on the Grandeur. JMO

Either way, you will have a great cruise. Choose one now and the other later.

Gwen :)

Archived