Allure docks where?

xray

What is the name of the dock that the Allure usually docks at?

Xray

Yes she docks at Crown Bay which is to the west of Charlotte Amalie near the airport. Havensight is to the east of CA. This map helps to orient you to the different beaches and other sights, just click to enlarge -

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/us_virgin_islands_maps/st_thomas_island_road_map.html

You will need to use the shuttle bus to get into town ($4.00pp one way)..We just returned from the Oasis...much prefer when we have docked at Havensight..but of course Oasis/Allure must dock at Crown Bay (deeper) which used to be a submarine dock.

• 2 weeks later...
In this picture (taken at the top of Paradise Point), you can see the ships docked along Havensight. If you look up and kinda toward the left, you will see the Oasis parked at the other port (it is facing the camera).

IMG_2017-XL.jpg

Great picture, thanks for sharing!

Yes, the Allure docks in Crown Bay, not an ideal spot for visiting the shopping areas in St Thomas or for doing anything in this port without first taking a cab ride. In addition, if you are traveling in the foreseeable future, the Allure apparently has been shortening their port calls in St Thomas, only arriving in St Thomas at 11:30 instead of 10AM. It is also leaving a little earlier, at 6:30 instead of 7 PM, but that makes little matter as it gets dark at 5PM anyway. There seems to be a propulsion problem with the Allure which Royal claims in negligible, but shortening both the Nassau Part call by one and one half hours and the shortening the St Thomas port call by 2 hours and not announcing it until you board the ship although they know in advance is hardly something negligible on a cruise where there are only 3 ports. This inconvenience will probably not last forever but the inconvenience of docking at Crown Bay will.

... It is also leaving a little earlier, at 6:30 instead of 7 PM, but that makes little matter as it gets dark at 5PM anyway...

The sun sets at about 5:45 pm in the depth of winter, 7:00 in the summer. When you are close to the equator, the days are fairly uniform throughout the year. There is not a long period of twilight, but it definitely isn't dark at 5pm in St Thomas. :D

Would you be able to stay on the beach in the water until 5PM or will it cool down and the sun be too low by 4?

Didn't see when you are there but we stay on STT in Jan and it can be a little cool later at night on or by the water (light jacket with shorts) but it will be warm until you leave. Definitely nothing to be concerned with and it will be light.

knolmom: If you are on a western facing beach, you will see and feel the sun until sunset time. It is hard to tell if you will think it's cold. If you are from the north and visit in the winter, it will probably seem balmy to you. Again, there is not a great deal of difference in water and air temperature in the tropics. In January, you will find that the locals feel it is too cold to get in the water, while visitors will revel in it.:D

Yes, the Allure docks in Crown Bay, not an ideal spot for visiting the shopping areas in St Thomas or for doing anything in this port without first taking a cab ride. In addition, if you are traveling in the foreseeable future, the Allure apparently has been shortening their port calls in St Thomas, only arriving in St Thomas at 11:30 instead of 10AM. It is also leaving a little earlier, at 6:30 instead of 7 PM, but that makes little matter as it gets dark at 5PM anyway. There seems to be a propulsion problem with the Allure which Royal claims in negligible, but shortening both the Nassau Part call by one and one half hours and the shortening the St Thomas port call by 2 hours and not announcing it until you board the ship although they know in advance is hardly something negligible on a cruise where there are only 3 ports. This inconvenience will probably not last forever but the inconvenience of docking at Crown Bay will.

Now that the time has changed, I'll be watching the Sapphire beach cam today to see when it gets dark there. I cancelled my excursion (I'm on the Allure next week) cause I don't want to be driving back from the beach in the dark. I'll keep you posted.

http://sapphireinthesun.com/

Really making something out of nothing with the "dark" questions, certainly not a reason to cancel an excursion to a beach!:p

You will be fine riding from Sapphire to the dock to get to the ship prior to your 6 or 7PM all-on-board.

Sunsets are something most people miss - you're lucky! Chill!

I long for the days that we use to be in port until midnight. It was always so beautiful to watch the sunset on the beach and take pictures. Also getting a beautiful picture of the ship in the sunset from the port is amazing. I really wish they didn't leave until after dark. We stayed in port longer than we were supposed to in Cozumel once (not sure what the 2 hour lay over was) but to see everything all lit up was beautiful! :)

Yes some of our most memorable moments were spent when we were docked until 11PM or midnight -

Having dinner several miles up the gorgeous Barbados gold coast with our tiny ship glimmering in the night; Sailing out of STT later at night with a full moon glistening on the water and the vibrant lights of the island shining brightly; Enjoying a late night at the Bugaloe Beach Bar in Palm Beach on Aruba when docked there until midnight; And being able to head back to the ship at any hour of the evening while docked in Bermuda. I wish we had more of those opportunities. A see that Azamara does a nice job with that but we haven't tried them yet. Soon though!

And of course the ultimate "fix" is to take land vacations and wave "bon voyage" to the cruise ship folks as they head out to make their way back to the ship while you are able to enjoy the rest of the evening. That's not for everyone but it's nice to alternate between the two vacation types...

Really making something out of nothing with the "dark" questions, certainly not a reason to cancel an excursion to a beach!:p

You will be fine riding from Sapphire to the dock to get to the ship prior to your 6 or 7PM all-on-board.

Sunsets are something most people miss - you're lucky! Chill!

Well it is a reason for me. I had the choice between 10:45 and 12:45, I chose the 10:45, if that's not going to be offered why would I pay for an excursion I didn't want?

Well it is a reason for me. I had the choice between 10:45 and 12:45, I chose the 10:45, if that's not going to be offered why would I pay for an excursion I didn't want?

Not sure what you're referring to Christine, are these cruise ship excursions to Sapphire Beach or something? Just go on your own when you dock. My only point is worrying about how dark it is at 6PM is not necessary (unless you are heading to the beach at that time:confused:)

Yes some of our most memorable moments were spent when we were docked until 11PM or midnight -

Having dinner several miles up the gorgeous Barbados gold coast with our tiny ship glimmering in the night; Sailing out of STT later at night with a full moon glistening on the water and the vibrant lights of the island shining brightly; Enjoying a late night at the Bugaloe Beach Bar in Palm Beach on Aruba when docked there until midnight; And being able to head back to the ship at any hour of the evening while docked in Bermuda. I wish we had more of those opportunities.

Do you know why RCCL no longer docks until midnight at these ports? I miss the late night departures from Aruba. :(

We were recently docked at Aruba (on Carnival) from 1PM - 11PM or so. But we used to dock from 7AM to 11PM 10 years ago...

Barbados was once a late port as well, not sure if that's changed as we don't cruise as often anymore...?