Dinner used to be 6pm & 8pm now 30 min eariler

fishycomics

has this changed, nd is there a reason for this?

Hi, I was on Summit in August and it was still 6:00 and 8:30. I had

late dining and there were no changes to those times. Where did

you see it was 30 minutes earlier?

I have been known to suggest that some cruises from Florida should have the early dinner at 4:30 to match the early bird specials at home :)

(before you flame me, I live in south florida...this is just an observation on my part)

So one time pre-cruise, my DH and I are waiting for a table at a popular restaurant in Miami (Aventura) when the hostess, bellows out in a strong New York accent:

"THE EARLY BIRD IS NOW OVER!!"

I guess that was for some of the hopefuls that were in line hoping to get in on time or those seated who had not ordered yet (not us, early bird was not on our radar).

It was like being in the middle of a Seinfeld episode! :)

I think the days of 6:00PM and 8:00PM are about gone. It's nearly impossible to serve all the diners at a 6:00PM seating and have them fed, out, and the tables reset in 2 hours. We have not seen 6 and 8 for years.

one of our family members just got off a celebrity cruise line from Florida, and it was a few days ago.

If we chose to eat at 6PM, on the cruise line, we do get there at the time provided, and are seated served and out, in plenty of time, for some one to squeeze in, to the spot...

Since the 30 minute is now the time schedule. so we shall get there when we get there, the table is not going anywhere!

On our Century cruise to Alaska in July, MDR times were 6:00 PM and 8:30 PM, but Select dining began at 5:30 PM.

On our Solstice Pacific Coastal sailing on September 13th, 2013, MDR times were also 6:00 PM and 8:30 PM. European dining times are usually later.

I've seen a variety of dining times over the years.

And a number of cruises ago, when they started making second seating at 830PM, they also increased the number of earlier (7:00PM) shows in the showroom for late seating guests. That's fine, but we used to head for a Martini bar around 45 minutes before second seating dinner. A 7:00PM show makes that tougher.

Hi Everyone,

On our upcoming Eclipse sailing, we have Early seating in the MDR, and it remains at 6 pm. I do believe that Select begins at 5:30, or perhaps a bit earlier.

one of our family members just got off a celebrity cruise line from Florida, and it was a few days ago.

If we chose to eat at 6PM, on the cruise line, we do get there at the time provided, and are seated served and out, in plenty of time, for some one to squeeze in, to the spot...

Since the 30 minute is now the time schedule. so we shall get there when we get there, the table is not going anywhere!

What are you talking about, select????? This thread is about traditional dinning. If you have a reservation, or if you are in traditional dinning you should get thereat the time you agreed to . How are you deciding that the table is not going anywhere????

We left the Century on October 7th following a relaxing pair of B2B cruises. On the first leg the fixed seating times were 6:00 PM and 8:30 PM. On the second leg the fixed seating times were altered to 5:30 PM and 8:00. While we were in select dining, I realized the change since some folks who opted for fixed dining with the first seating were unhappy since the time change limited their time at the evening elite cocktail function. I asked both the select seating seating hostess and the food and beverage manager, and both told me that the second leg had a very large number of folks who wanted to dine early.

The evening show times were also changed. On the first leg the evening show times were 7 PM and 9 PM. During the second leg the show times were changed to 6:30 PM and 8:30 PM.

I'm having a hard time understanding what Fishycomics writes, so I suspect that English is a second language here. I THINK that he is proposing that even if the dining time is moved to 30 minutes earlier, that he/she will go at a later time of his/her choosing and eat quickly, so that the table will still be available for the next seating. If that is the case, this might not be possible. For fixed traditional seating, the doors to the dining room close soon after they scheduled opening. As ghstudio wrote, "If you choose to come late to your assigned dining time, you may find that you are refused entry to the dining room. You can not just show up when you want."

So one time pre-cruise, my DH and I are waiting for a table at a popular restaurant in Miami (Aventura) when the hostess, bellows out in a strong New York accent:

"THE EARLY BIRD IS NOW OVER!!"

:)

We have an accent?? Here I thought it was everyone else!

I have been known to suggest that some cruises from Florida should have the early dinner at 4:30 to match the early bird specials at home :)

(before you flame me, I live in south florida...this is just an observation on my part)

AH !! Love that one !!:D

There is a saying "FORGETABOUTIT" And when you enter by the Verrazano Bridge, on your next cruise, Entering/exiting you may see it.

I do not judge a book (people) and well since this is the net. www stands for world wide web. there is no language, but text...

So back on topic. thanks to who I know, went on the cruise walked in, at 5:30, sat down. at the MDR the seats that are given to you, your numbered table. maybe if I remembered correctly, Lol

If I come in 15 minutes late, the table will be there, As there may not be seating's for those with no reservations, even while the table is empty, it has a number, assigned to "YOU"

Clearly you understood that, if not , I tip my hat to you!

If we are in Port, till 9:PM. and the tour we are on is Over at 5:PM, I will be going to a Local eatery, than rush back to have Dinner served, at 5:30PM

I will get the satisfaction, of Local food, the culture, and company of the locals, and something, I will never forget, not saying I do not enjoy the company of our staff we hired for the cruise. Once we are off the ship, It will be some one's else's staff, for their duration :D

Priceless

Archived