Holland America Line Cancels Entire Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Season

HamOp

We had our May 2014 Noordam cruise rescheduled 3 weeks ago. Have just had to book another cruise, redo all our airflights and acommodation, paying extra, and still waiting to hear if we will get refunds from HAL. So is this just "old news" or another round of cancellations?

Of course you will be refunded any monies paid HAL. Why would you think you wouldn't be refunded? OTOH, if you mean "compensation", as opposed to refund, why would you think you would be compensated?

I see Voyages of Discovery are still advertising Egyptian ports and Suez transits and the prices are very cheap.

I would have no problem with those places myself, so if someone still has bucket list desire to see at least the Luxor area from the Safaga stops in the Red Sea and the still safe Suez canal transit, there are travel bargains to be had. Cairo will most likely remain off limits, which was the focus for cruise line stops in Alexandria to be discontinued.

No, I am really not crazy. We have been down in this part of the world now several times in the past few years. No entire country is off limits even though its capitol is in turmoil.

However, I also see Voyages of Discovery is making the West Africa transit now back to Europe which is opening up some new cruise possibilities as they avoid going to places they can no longer sell in the Red Sea, once they have circuited the Indian Ocean.

How do you get that Eastern Med is still open after reading this? What am I missing?

"The line has redeployed ms Noordam to central and western Mediterranean cruises for spring and summer 2014 rather than the Eastern Mediterranean."

Because they are still sailing to Greece, Turkey, Croatia etc, look at a map, they are in the Eastern Med. Dropping one country does not constitute the eastern Med.

Because they are still sailing to Greece, Turkey, Croatia etc, look at a map, they are in the Eastern Med. Dropping one country does not constitute the eastern Med.

yes, agree - the second leg of our collectors' cruise goes to all of these places and I have received no notification of a change in itinerary nor has the itinerary changed on the HAL website.

Since I am using FF miles to fly home, that company certainly considers Greece as eastern Med as the miles required are higher;)

I find this article a bit confusing - I went looking on the internet and it appears it is only the Noordam's itineraries that will be affected. No other ship is mentioned?

yes, agree - the second leg of our collectors' cruise goes to all of these places and I have received no notification of a change in itinerary nor has the itinerary changed on the HAL website.

Since I am using FF miles to fly home, that company certainly considers Greece as eastern Med as the miles required are higher;)

I find this article a bit confusing - I went looking on the internet and it appears it is only the Noordam's itineraries that will be affected. No other ship is mentioned?

I agree, it is confusing. The headline is very misleading.

Looks like Holland America has hired some of the stupendously inarticulate PR folks from Celebrity.

Time was when HAL did a superb job in its advertising and email communications. Based on this fiasco, they have not maintained their standards.

That said, HAL made the correct call in avoiding Egypt in my opinion.

The Noordam is sailing to Greece, Turkey, and Croatia??? The "article" does not say that.

Nor did I but the thread and article say "Holland Anerica cancels entire eastern Med cruise season" when in fact one ship is canceling trips to one country. Not sure why it is so hard to see how this is not the entire line canceling the entire half of the Med. :rolleyes:

Looks like Holland America has hired some of the stupendously inarticulate PR folks from Celebrity.

Time was when HAL did a superb job in its advertising and email communications. Based on this fiasco, they have not maintained their standards.

That said, HAL made the correct call in avoiding Egypt in my opinion.

Why do you think HAL wrote these articles? The one linked was written by a "UK Editor" for Cruise Critic according to the attribution.

Heck I just saw the sticky post and it's title is even worse, it says "Holland America cancels entire cruise season" :eek: :eek: :eek:. Sounds like the whole fleet is out of commission.

Well, can you understand the feeling of someone who has had a Noordam cruise (which was NOT going to Turkey or Egypt) cancelled LAST MONTH, has re-booked another cruise (which is going to Turkey), redone all flights and acommodation a second time, now reading on a Sunday, when one cannot call anyone for clarification, that article on Cruise News dated October 18, "Holland America cancels entire Eastern Mediteranean cruise season "!

My hope is that this article is just a misleading bit of old news!

Heck I just saw the sticky post and it's title is even worse, it says "Holland America cancels entire cruise season" :eek: :eek: :eek:. Sounds like the whole fleet is out of commission.

Looks like the sticky has been removed. Gone now.....

Well, can you understand the feeling of someone who has had a Noordam cruise (which was NOT going to Turkey or Egypt) cancelled LAST MONTH, has re-booked another cruise (which is going to Turkey), redone all flights and acommodation a second time, now reading on a Sunday, when one cannot call anyone for clarification, that article on Cruise News dated October 18, "Holland America cancels entire Eastern Mediteranean cruise season "!

My hope is that this article is just a misleading bit of old news!

Yes I can, hopefully it will work out for you.

[quote name='HamOp'][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="4"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Looks like the sticky has been removed. Gone now.....[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Yes it has, poof it is gone. No big woo, It was just an attempt to let others know that the Noordam has a change of schedule.

[quote name='KirkNC']Yes I can, hopefully it will work out for you.[/quote]

Thanks, a call to the HAL office in Sydney, Australia, as soon at it was open this morning, clarified that this article is old news , cancellations were 3 weeks ago. There has been no further cancellations since then.

Badly written article in IMO.... Whilst I dont question the safety concerns which brought on the re-deployment of Noordam, the headline is misleading and out of date, likely to cause much worry to people who have just had a cruise cancelled last month and only just re-booked another one.

Well heck, this thread initially even got my attention and we're not cruising on HAL next year. Seriously my first thought was if HAL is pulling out of the eastern Med are other lines going to follow? Is there something they knew that hadn't gotten out or around yet? Cruise lines staying away from the eastern Med would basically gut our cruise next year so I was relieved to read through the whole thread. All I can say is....whew. :)

[quote name='496and706']Doesn't anyone look at the stickys at the top of this page before they post? Laura posted this info already. Anyone who had that itinerary (my husband and myself, for example) were informed by HAL more than a month ago that there were changes to the itinerary. Anyone who reads or listens or watches the news would know that there was unrest in that area more than a month ago.[/quote]

I am one who never thinks to look at the stickys, and I am sure there are others just like me. It is really okay with me if something gets posted more than once.

[quote name='CaveDiving']I am really glad we had the chance to go to Luxor on the 2012 World Cruise. It looks like it might be a little while before this is available again.

Scott & Karen[/QUOTE]

Glad you visited luxor. I was born in that town hence my screen name which is the old name for luxor thousands of years ago.

[quote name='Thebes']Glad you visited luxor. I was born in that town hence my screen name which is the old name for luxor thousands of years ago.[/quote]

And a great little town it is too. They also sell the best iced coffees in Egypt:)

Rotterdam still has three port calls in Egypt for their circle Africa Cruise leaving at the end of September next year. Two days in Port Said, one in Sharm el Sheik and one in Safaga. Will be interesting to see if they are cancelled.

Archived