Bon Voyage Pacific Dawn maiden Papua New Guinea Cruise!

David, I've read from one of the local newspapers that they have already extended the wharf in preparation for larger ships such as Pacific Dawn.

No doubt the funds for that work provided by the Australian Government and Carnival Corporation. The Papuans have nothing, I don't know where they spend all that foreigh aid, perhaps mansions and limos for their pollies?

I was in PNG in 1970 and again in 2006, I could not see much for the money.

Edited by NSWP

4AM now -we are in the Brisbane River. Will get together a report with some pics when I recover. The Ports were all great and a fantastic experience. Quite overwhelming. We are going to need some time to digest this cruise. Certainly the most "mind-blowing" we have been on. Think Vanuatu times 100!!!

Sent from my T-17B using Forums mobile app

4AM now -we are in the Brisbane River. Will get together a report with some pics when I recover. The Ports were all great and a fantastic experience. Quite overwhelming. We are going to need some time to digest this cruise. Certainly the most "mind-blowing" we have been on. Think Vanuatu times 100!!!

You have my interest! Please when you get a chance report back.

Welcome home, Barry. Glad to hear it was so good. P&O put heaps of photos on their FB page, but not of the smaller islands. Looking forward to reading your review.

Don't want to rub it in, but ONE WEEK TODAY! :D

Sandy

The only photos that are missing are the photos of the Tobriand Cricket match (which was for me the highlight of the visits) -- I will endeavour to put some up during this week - although they wont be of the professional quality of the P&O ones.

One word of advice -- You MUST MUST MUST get some KINA before departure. P&O did not have it onboard - and when they got the Alotau Bank to come onboard upon arrival, the queue for currency was 1&1/2 hours long!!!! A bit of a shambles really -- perhaps there was a good reason why they did not have it, but if they are going to cruise to foreign countries then they need to stock the relevant foreign currency.

They do take AUD ashore -- BUT the locals have difficulty in understanding that $1 = 2+ Kina . Kina and Dollar to them are interchangeable -- so 5 Kina equals 5 Dollars, etc.

I suspect that your visit to Alotau will not be as good/intersting/mind-blowing as ours -- but your visit to Kiriwina will probably be better (no PNG politicians flying in for your visit and getting in the way)

The Festival was HUGE and I can't really see how it could be replicated for later cruises.

Barry

[quote name='bazzaw']Sandy
One word of advice -- You MUST MUST MUST get some KINA before departure. P&O did not have it onboard - and when they got the Alotau Bank to come onboard upon arrival, the queue for currency was 1&1/2 hours long!!!! A bit of a shambles really -- perhaps there was a good reason why they did not have it, but if they are going to cruise to foreign countries then they need to stock the relevant foreign currency.

They do take AUD ashore -- BUT the locals have difficulty in understanding that $1 = 2+ Kina . Kina and Dollar to them are interchangeable -- so 5 Kina equals 5 Dollars, etc.
Barry[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice Barry. We'll get some Kina this week. I don't like their maths! :D

Did they have markets at Kiriwina, and Doini Is?

[quote name='Australian family']Maybe Thied will post some photos with himself and Ann Sherry. He should bump into her all the time, as he always books a suite.[/QUOTE]

nop one would not be that rude to do that. but did chat to her at the captain and the senior officers cock tail party in the Captains private lounge.

speaking of cock tail parties the one they for two cruises passengers that they have in the dome is no more, they have it in the show lounge, so you sit in the show lounge have a couple of drinks and Captain and zoltina come on stage the captain gives a two min speech and hands the mic to zoltins who gives away the first and sec prize for the most cruises, then you are told to please leave.

he still does the meet on the starboard side deck 7 on the way in like they go in the dome. must be cost cutting as they use to have more prizes lol

Have to say I liked it in the dome, yes the captain did his bit but after that he and the officers would go around and talk to the people and have pics taken Edited by thied

[quote name='thied']nop one would not be that rude to do that. but did chat to her at the captain and the senior officers cock tail party in the Captains private lounge.

speaking of cock tail parties the one they for two cruises passengers that they have in the dome is no more, they have it in the show lounge, so you sit in the show lounge have a couple of drinks and Captain and zoltina come on stage the captain gives a two min speech and hands the mic to zoltins who gives away the first and sec prize for the most cruises, then you are told to please leave.

he still does the meet on the starboard side deck 7 on the way in like they go in the dome. must be cost cutting as they use to have more prizes lol

Have to say I liked it in the dome, yes the captain did his bit but after that he and the officers would go around and talk to the people and have pics taken[/quote]

last time we were on the Jewel they had 3 prizes for the most travelled passengers, are you saying they only have 2 prizes now....must be cost cutting

[quote name='Sandielle']I've been checking the cam all morning and haven't seen a soul around. Where are they all? There were no shore tours offered - by P&O anyway. :confused:[/QUOTE]

There was shore tours offered by P&O and by the inland, not much of a tour by the way, the tending was so slow, with only two tenders out and it till 2.30 pm to get to open tendering ( eg some people did not get to the inland till 2.30pm and had to wait till there card number was called) they blamed the age group for the hold up, and it not have been the dock and its nice new concret one, and tendering is not new to the ship mmm Cutting costs I think

[quote name='Sandielle']DH read yesterday that Ann Sherry was on the cruise so[SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"] he [/COLOR][/SIZE]was waiting for it to come out. :D What's the bet there will be a photo or two with her?[/QUOTE]

Who is HE ?

[quote name='rkmw']last time we were on the Jewel they had 3 prizes for the most travelled passengers, are you saying they only have 2 prizes now....must be cost cutting[/QUOTE]

yes that is what I said

( first and sec prize for the most cruises,) Edited by thied