Are the MDR's loosing their appeal?

KiwiFunCruiser

We have booked 3 specialty restaurants for our next cruise of 14 nights.

I have notice through various threads lately that there seems to be a large number of cruisers opting for everyday specialty dining.

Does this mean that the MDR, and other free venues are loosing their appeal?.

Not for me! I like both. The only time I didn't like both was on the Ocean Princess. Their specialty restaurants were nowhere near as good in service and food as the MDR. Celebrity does the specialty restaurants better, overall.

For me the MDR is, and I expect continue to be, my primary dining choice.

I feel that I'm buying my dining with my cruise fare, and I can almost always find dishes I like in the MDR, so why pay again - I'd rather spend that money on an additional cruise.

Also, I've not had good luck with specialty restaurants.

Another point is that posters here on CC are often really "in" to cruising, and the preference here for trying enhancements like specialty restaurants is much greater here than in the general cruise population. I'm guessing that if you would walk around the terminal on embark day for a short cruise and ask people "what's a specialty restaurant?", most would not even know.

For us the specialty restaurants are ok. The reason we stopped doing traditional MDR is the change of the Elite evening. The evening Elite event use to be 4pm to 7pm. Now it is 5pm to 8pm. The hot appetizers don't come out until 6pm.

We now leave the event by 6:30pm for 6:45pm dinner in Select Dining or we book Aquaclass and eat in Blu and Select Dining. I'm not that hip on Blu, but there is not a set eating time. Richard

Has anyone had experience with discount on X Summit in the specialty dining options? Is it better to wait until you are on board to book them in case discounts are offered?

Yes, you need to wait till after you board the ship to receive the

discounts. Sometimes it is a buy one/get one and sometimes it is a

% off......example, 20% off the total.

Edited by Lois R

The left side of the menu stays the same all of the time. The right side of the menu changes nightly. You can combine items from either side at any time. On the left side you will always be able to have shrimp cocktail, grilled chicken, salmon, steak , apple pie, crème brulee to name a few.On the right side there is usually a beef, chicken, seafood & vegetarian selection in the entrée section.

For us the specialty restaurants are ok. The reason we stopped doing traditional MDR is the change of the Elite evening. The evening Elite event use to be 4pm to 7pm. Now it is 5pm to 8pm. The hot appetizers don't come out until 6pm.

We now leave the event by 6:30pm for 6:45pm dinner in Select Dining or we book Aquaclass and eat in Blu and Select Dining. I'm not that hip on Blu, but there is not a set eating time. Richard

Im confused..ELITE happy hour WAS 4-6 but changed to 5-7. I thought it was still 5-7...or has it changed????

The left side of the dinner menu is the same nightly ,offering shrimp cocktail.caesar salad,grilled chicken, steak, salmon, apple pie among other items.

The right side of the menu changes nightly. There is a wide variety of selections & a chef's recommendation.

You can combine selections from both sides of the menu & even request adjustments .If I selected from the left side ,the entrees come with mashed potatoes & vegetables & I always requested no potatoes & extra vegetables. My requests were always met.

I think it all depends on how many times a year you sail on X. Like any restuarant, venue etc frequent it enough and eventually it gets boring and you look for something new or different.

.🎅

We still prefer in dine in the MDR. We might dine in a specialty restaurant, or Bistro on Five in order to avoid formal attire, which we have had enough of. I also have no desire book Aqua class in order to dine in Blu, even with the smart casual dress code, because we much prefer meeting new friends at a large table, & the small tables in Blu turn me off.

Im confused..ELITE happy hour WAS 4-6 but changed to 5-7. I thought it was still 5-7...or has it changed????

:) Haven't heard they changed the Elite Happy Hours. What are the correct times? And we love the MDR, the food in the MDR is great!!! :)

I’ve read on some of these forums Cruisers complaining about the portion sizes in the MDR. We like the smaller sizes. Leaves more room for dessert.

:eek: You can order as much as you like in the MDR, so smaller sizes really shouldn't matter. :eek: