Reading all the forums and now second guessing

slhb

I literally booked a cruise on a last minute whim a few days ago. In doing so I booked an early morning nonstop flight that arrives in FLL at 9:45am on Southwest. We travel carry on only and have never had an issue making flight connections. Our Liberty departure is 4:30 so I assumed we would have a ton of time but now the forums have me second guessing. I've just priced out new air for the day before and no nonstop flights remain. Add hotel and we are close to an additional $850 cost. Has anyone truly missed a connection with that much time? We leave on a Monday morning on the 30th so most of the holiday travel will be over.

I've flown in the day of, and had no problem, the earlier in the day your flight leaves, the less chance of delay. And it's a non stop so no connections to make. There are always what ifs. I would leave it and just relax and start planning the shore end of you trip.

Enjoy

I literally booked a cruise on a last minute whim a few days ago. In doing so I booked an early morning nonstop flight that arrives in FLL at 9:45am on Southwest. We travel carry on only and have never had an issue making flight connections. Our Liberty departure is 4:30 so I assumed we would have a ton of time but now the forums have me second guessing. I've just priced out new air for the day before and no nonstop flights remain. Add hotel and we are close to an additional $850 cost. Has anyone truly missed a connection with that much time? We leave on a Monday morning on the 30th so most of the holiday travel will be over.

You did not name your departure airport.

I have flown quite a bit on Southwest into the FLL airport.....they rarely are late, by more than a few minutes. They pride themselves on their on time record...you should be fine!

As others have said, you should be ok arriving at 9:45am. And with a direct flight even better. If you are a tad nervous you can always purchase trip insurance (not cruise insurance) that covers delays and such. Far less than $800+ to change the flight.

we do not have a problem flying out the day of using southwest out of chicago, in winter. We always take the first flight out in the morning (6am departure). In our experience, the plane is there overnight and ready to go. And we have flown with as few as 6 passengers on board: people just dont like Early flights.

We get to the airport before the TSA does and have to wait for them...

Not everyone can go the day prior...or afford to! It's expensive, with hotel and meals! As long as your flight is early, you should be ok....of course, you can never predict what weather or the airlines themselves may do....or some kind of disturbance (think the LA thing the other day!)....

We use southwest and travel same morning... We go from Philadelphia to FLL and have never had a problem! We always book nonstop though. One time, there were too many people booked on a flight and they were asking if anyone wanted to take the next flight leaving the next hour. Everyone was saying no because they were going in a cruise. Southwest gave a $300 flight gift card to each person who volunteered!

We usually fly in a day early but once in a while we will fly in the day of if we get a non stop early flight. Flying in a day early is not a guarantee either. There could be a bad storm the day before too and you might not be able to get a flight the next day.You have to remember many things can cause you to miss your cruise. Odds are you will be fine you can't worry about all the what ifs.

We're flying in the morning of for our upcoming cruise. Like others said, the more time you build into your schedule the better. Our plane lands at 10:30 local time so even if there are delays we can hopefully absorb them. If not, well, that's what travel insurance is for I suppose.

There are websites where you can view the percentage of time your specific flight number is delayed. That may be helpful in deciding whether to risk it.

The problem with percentages is they don't mean a thing if you are the unlucky one.

So much can go wrong from weather to mechanical difficulties to computer glitches at airport airline and even FAA to insufficient flight personnel to security breaches to even what happened at LAX the other day. This stuff happens.

The best thing to do is to fly in a day or more before.

Insurance is nice but it doesn't make up for the lost day(s) of cruising.

Just my two cents.

Keith

Archived