Royal Caribbean on Ten News saying they want to base a ship in Brisbane

Just saw a story on Ten News and a Royal Caribbean spokesperson was on the Voyager of the Seas and saying that they would like to base a ship in Brisbane year round.

i heard on the news that they were complaining about docking at the grain terminal, we cruised on the Rhapsody in 2008 and stopped at the grain terminal and nothing has been done

Just saw a story on Ten News and a Royal Caribbean spokesperson was on the Voyager of the Seas and saying that they would like to base a ship in Brisbane year round.

Unfortunately, he said a BIG ship and later he said if you build a terminal we will come.

I'm with the Lord Mayor, cruise lines would need to share the cost, otherwise it would just be another expense for ratepayers.

Portside is underutilised as it is.

What is wrong with RCL basing a medium sized ship in Brisbane. I'm sure it would be very popular.

I don't think there is anywhere else for them to dock from memory. Granted my memory is pretty sketchy after being away from Brisbane for so long though! :rolleyes: I wouldn't hold my breath for any improvements given the current political climate. It's a shame really - a good revitalisation of the area would bring in extra tourism to QLD and pay for itself after a few years even if it was done with taxpayer funds.

At the Captains talk on Radiance, the question about Brisbane's docking areas was brought up. The Port authority won't let the Radiance go any further up the river because of its height for fitting under the bridge. I had heard previously - don't know if it's right or not - that the Rhapsody was too long to turn in the river at Portside. The Captain also said there would be a new cruise terminal in Brisbane for the bigger ships. But didn't say when.

At the Captains talk on Radiance, the question about Brisbane's docking areas was brought up. The Port authority won't let the Radiance go any further up the river because of its height for fitting under the bridge. I had heard previously - don't know if it's right or not - that the Rhapsody was too long to turn in the river at Portside. The Captain also said there would be a new cruise terminal in Brisbane for the bigger ships. But didn't say when.

if the Captain didnt say when the new cruise terminal would be built but did he say where as been mentioned they cant go under the Gateway bridge

does RCI have any ships in their fleet that can get under the Sydney Harbour bridge and the Gateway bridge in Brisbane

Theres no problem...all they need is a cutting torch and a few hinges..

Dreamfunnel.jpg

funnel2.jpg

There is actually one one small problem...as the funnel flips , all the soot falls on the deck ......so that area has to be roped off , and staff have to stand by with brooms and shovels...:D:D

Theres no problem...all they need is a cutting torch and a few hinges..

Dreamfunnel.jpg

funnel2.jpg

There is actually one one small problem...as the funnel flips , all the soot falls on the deck ......so that area has to be roped off , and staff have to stand by with brooms and shovels...:D:D

LOL, a ship with a flip top funnel. :D

LOL, a ship with a flip top funnel. :D

It sure is . That was on the Norwegian Dream and they did that so she could get under the bridges while cruising the Kiel Canal.

It was quite an even and everyone would gather on deck to watch as the German Oom Pah band played merrily along .:):)

It sure is . That was on the Norwegian Dream and they did that so she could get under the bridges while cruising the Kiel Canal.

It was quite an even and everyone would gather on deck to watch as the German Oom Pah band played merrily along .:):)

Somehow that music seems fitting for such an event.:D

what about the Legend of the seas, that seems smaller than the 3 princess ships sailing out of OZ

Not 100% sure but don't think so. She is a bit smaller (8000ton)than Rhapsody but still has eleven decks and is much the same configuration . It is also older than Rhapsody so why would we want another "old" ship based in Australia (we can leave that to Carnival & Princess:D:D)

I do believe Carnival & Royal Caribbean are talking about a "joint venture" new terminal in Brisbane but don't know much more.

I assume Royal Caribbean will only be seasonal in Brisbane also.!

Maybe not .....one of the problems with Sydney as a year round base for RCI is the fuel burn for the extra days getting to and from Sydney for the Islands so obviously Brisbane is closer to the islands.

I've got a solution, bring Radiance,Rhapsody or Voyager down here to Melbourne between Oct-April and do the New Zealand trips from here.Just give us one down here. Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

That would be good, having ships in all three ports.:D