Royal Caribbean on Ten News saying they want to base a ship in Brisbane

what about the Legend of the seas, that seems smaller than the 3 princess ships sailing out of OZ

Yes, Legend of the Seas can and did sail up under the Sydney Harbour Bridge when she was based here. I would suspect that Majesty of the Seas would probably fit under too.

Cheers,

Yes, Legend of the Seas can and did sail up under the Sydney Harbour Bridge when she was based here. I would suspect that Majesty of the Seas would probably fit under too.

Cheers,

if thats the case why dont they send the Legend to Sydney and it could berth at White Bay plus call into Portside at Brisbane

if thats the case why dont they send the Legend to Sydney and it could berth at White Bay plus call into Portside at Brisbane

I don't think berthing at White Bay is a sales point :-)

That said, while we passengers might not like the choice of port, other ships are still able to visit both cities so from a revenue perspective, that's not a major consideration.

I doubt they'd operate year round at Brisbane and not Sydney though. It's a smaller local market, and also doesn't have the international draw that RCL target.

Americans can fly direct to Brisbane from Dallas, home from Sydney, on Qantas.

The Great Barrier Reef and South Pacific Islands are a big attraction, with Brisbane being closer port.

Portside is close to Brisbane Airport.

The Great Barrier Reef and South Pacific Islands are a big attraction, with Brisbane being closer port.

All good points but they have to service the whole world and if they have a ship here, then it is not servicing another country/countries elsewhere.:D

I. Don't like the chances of a purpose built terminal. Look at how difficult it is to get a 2nd run way. & that already has a proven need & market for it!

Sydney's second airport has been 60 years in the planning and they still haven't turned a sod at Badgery creek.:D

Yes, it is possible. But doesn't change that it is a smaller market, and of itself isn't an international draw.

Sydney's second airport has been 60 years in the planning and they still haven't turned a sod at Badgery creek.:D

Making a decision exposes whichever political party does so to criticism. And then the opposition romps home by opposing it as we've just seen. So the easiest option is to have another review...

Making a decision exposes whichever political party does so to criticism. And then the opposition romps home by opposing it as we've just seen. So the easiest option is to have another review...

Yes, another review will make things better.:D

Just of Voyager OTS yesterday. In answer to some questions at the Captains Corner event, Captain Charles bemoaned the lack of cooperation RC are having with regards to port facilites in Australia. He said that NZ have provided some very good facilities, but Aus has not, thus restricting what RC would like to do here - more ships, more ports.

He called on all Aussies to push our governments to recognise the benefits of visiting cruise ships & to work to provide the port facilities required. Voyager in particular is very restricted, as it cannot tender - he indicated that the 2014 refit 'may' include provision for tendering, as less than ideal that is, to be able to access other ports.

Just of Voyager OTS yesterday. In answer to some questions at the Captains Corner event, Captain Charles bemoaned the lack of cooperation RC are having with regards to port facilites in Australia. He said that NZ have provided some very good facilities, but Aus has not, thus restricting what RC would like to do here - more ships, more ports.

He called on all Aussies to push our governments to recognise the benefits of visiting cruise ships & to work to provide the port facilities required. Voyager in particular is very restricted, as it cannot tender - he indicated that the 2014 refit 'may' include provision for tendering, as less than ideal that is, to be able to access other ports.

I suppose for ships that cannot/do not tender the options are very restrictive. Perhaps, RCI should provide some money to encourage some State governments to match and improve the facilities for docking.:D

I suppose for ships that cannot/do not tender the options are very restrictive. Perhaps, RCI should provide some money to encourage some State governments to match and improve the facilities for docking.:D

You'd hope they'd come to the party in some way, but in the case of Sydney at least, there would need to be agreement first about a site - which is the harder issue.

Hi everyone

Does anyone know whether there is a public phone to use inside the Grain Wharf? I am meeting my parents who are coming in from Sydney on Celebrity Millenium next Sat. in case we miss each other.

Also where is the best place to pick them up? Is it inside the terminal or in front of the terminal.

Thanks. I have never been there before.

koolgal

Does anyone know whether there is a public phone to use inside the Grain Wharf? I am meeting my parents who are coming in from Sydney on Celebrity Millenium next Sat. in case we miss each other.

Also where is the best place to pick them up? Is it inside the terminal or in front of the terminal.

koolgal, we were just there last week on our Voyager OTS cruise. Not sure about a phone, but the terminal is quite small & I would think it would be unlikely you would miss each other.

We used taxis, but I would think the main difficulty will be you finding your way to the terminal itself. When we were there there was a temporary sign directing traffic to the cruise terminal.

There is a public carpark & then you walk thru an open paved area to the terminal building. The terminal is essentially just two large open rooms with some seating and a small cafe. When they leave the ship, there is a covered walkway directly into the terminal they will take.

I would wait in the terminal on the shipside (right) end directly at the entry into the terminal from the ship - you won't misss them.

Cheers

Thanks Mr Walker for your tips. I will do as you suggest, wait for my parents in the terminal (ship side). I was not sure earlier on that I can go into the terminal itself as I thought it is a restricted area.

I hope that Royal Caribbean can make Brisbane port one of their bases so that I don't have to fly to Sydney to catch their cruises.

koolgal

Thanks Mr Walker for your tips. I will do as you suggest, wait for my parents in the terminal (ship side). I was not sure earlier on that I can go into the terminal itself as I thought it is a restricted area.

I hope that Royal Caribbean can make Brisbane port one of their bases so that I don't have to fly to Sydney to catch their cruises.

koolgal

set your GPS because its a hard terminal to find

if you want to cruise out of Brisbane p&o and princess go from port side

Carnival injected money into the Portside Terminal and therefore have a holding and a control over who uses it.

Naturally they do not allow the 'opposition' to dock there. Meanies!:(

We were told that by a Captain on Rhapsody years ago. He also said Rhapsody would fit under the bridge. HAL ships dock at Portside and they're around the same size.

On another note the same Captain was the first to dock at Cairns with Rhapsody of the Seas. Everyone said they could not turn around, he proved them all wrong and we were on board when he did.

Jill:)

Edited by Gold Coast Cruisers