Carry on bag?

I_am_Brad

Hey guys. I'll be going on my second cruise soon. I'm looking at getting an inexpensive carry on bag. Basically I need it to hold a change of clothes (just in case), my toiletries, camera, and a few odds and ends. I would also like it to do double duty as my shore bag on certain stops where I have excursions planned. On shore days it just needs to carry what I need for that day (spare battery, sunscreen, towel, bathing suit, etc)

I'm thinking more a backpack style, but not sure. Anyone have any good inexpensive recommendations?

I would go for a daypack. There are a plethora of them to choose from! My quiver of daypacks range from a Dakine Helipack Pro, Mountain Hardware Agama, an Osprey Daylite, an Osprey Talon 22, a couple of Camelbaks, a lightweight Patagonia, and a Kipling (that isn't' made anymore), oh, and a Sherpani. You really do have to shop on these to see what little nits and pockets and things each has so it matches best with your needs.

If flights are involved, my two favorites are my Kipling and my Agama. The Agama gets the nod if I'm also taking my DLSR and some accessories in addition to what I usually take on my flights (iPad Mini, Bose QC15s in their case, toiletries kit, one extra change of clothes, purse, passport, sunglasses, reading glasses, etc.).

I highly recommend Rick Steve's Civita Day Pack.

http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&id=40

I have both the backpack version and the shoulder bag version. They weigh almost nothing and can easily be folded or smooshed into other bags. I use them to carry my sweater, camera, a book, sunscreen, bottle of water, tissue and other necessities. They have almost no structure so they won't stand up on their own unless they are stuffed full. They cost less than $25 so they are a pretty good value too.

We like the Ebags MotherLode.. we have the Jr. size because it gets heavy when you use it to capacity!

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/tls-mother-lode-weekender-convertible-junior/241465?productid=10209114&sourceid=ADWPRODUCT&couponid=55583734&gclid=CLS7qLeP3boCFTJp7AodrAEArQ&kwid=productads-plaid^56404800498-sku^10209114-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^26971330098

I use it with one large packing cube for the inside, and it's amazing what you can get in there. It fits under the seat of the plane and can be used as a daypack when emptied.

I second the ebags motherlode jr. It's a great bag and my dh really liked the laptop compartment.

Only thing is it might be big for taking on excursions.

Another thing we've used is a backpack from LL Bean. I had bought the Deluxe backpack and super deluxe pack for the boys to use for school & we've also used them several times for vacation, they can fit a ton and are relatively inexpensive.

Hey guys. I'll be going on my second cruise soon. I'm looking at getting an inexpensive carry on bag. Basically I need it to hold a change of clothes (just in case), my toiletries, camera, and a few odds and ends. I would also like it to do double duty as my shore bag on certain stops where I have excursions planned. On shore days it just needs to carry what I need for that day (spare battery, sunscreen, towel, bathing suit, etc)

I'm thinking more a backpack style, but not sure. Anyone have any good inexpensive recommendations?

Anything large enough to be good as a carry-on, with room for change of clothes, toiletries, etc. will be far too big to use to carry the few things you'll want for a day tour. You can pick up a really small backpack for tours, which will take up minimal space when packed.

Trying to make one thing serve both purposes will only guarantee that it will be bad at serving at least one - and possibly even both - purposes.

Unless you plan on a lot of travel moving forward, I think you are overthjnking this.

Backpack style is not advisable in many ports with pickpocket problems--a cross body is far more practical in most ports.

Just go to a place like Kohl's, Ross, Marshall's, etc. and find a bag that will hold your stuff that is in your price range. Don't take the tags off until you bring it home and pack the things you'll be carrying in and walk around the block with it a couple if times to make sure it will be comfortable to carry. If not, return it and find another style to try.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...