Another price drop but lost some of our balcony discount

Snagged our second price drop this morning. So far we've saved (almost) $400 since we booked our 3/9/14 Freedom cruise in April. I say "almost" because thanks to the new system, we lost $25 of our C & A balcony discount.

Price drop today was $100 pp. It was applied and I have our new invoice. What I noticed is that the balcony discount dropped from $100 to $75. We booked 6 months+ out. Of course I called our CVP and he explained to me that the new system just won't allow an override. Because the system thinks we booked today, within 6 months of the sailing, our balcony discount became $75.

Had the price drop happened before the upgrade we would have kept our $100 balcony discount. Such is life. The way I look at it, the $375 we've saved since booking will more than pay for one of our premium drink packages! Glass half full. That's me. :D

Cathy

Not sure what "discount" you are losing. If it's C & A discount then likely the new rate doesn't qualify. I get various discounted rates, military, interline, senior, and resident. I am also D+ so we get $250 off a 7 night balcony or higher. However some rates are considered "deeply discounted" (interline is one) and therefore doesn't qualify for the D+ discount. So I need to book using the best rate after taking the D+ discount into account. For example, my last cruise the "interline" rate was $100 per person lower than the regular rate. But booking under the regular rate and applying my D+ discount was actually $50 per cabin cheaper.

Anyway, point being that often a lower rate carries the caveat that "other discounts do not apply." That is both fair and reasonable. Sometimes the discount is "new bookings only," and if you have previously booked, you don't qualify at all.

When you "rebook" to a lower rate, you are effectively canceling the old booking and creating a new one. They just don't change the booking numbers or cabin numbers. But you are bound by the rules of the lower rate, regardless of when you booked. Don't know if this is what happened, but may be.

It's our C/A platinum balcony discount that is affected. We booked 6+ months out so we got the entitled $100 balcony discount. Today, because it's within 6 months of our sailing, the price drop was applied but at the same time the balcony discount was adjusted. Our next cruise OBC remains intact as does all of our dinner reservations and links to other bookings, etc.

It's going to be a few cruises before we reach Diamond status. Regardless whether we're platinum, emerald, diamond, diamond plus or pinnacle, we are still entitled to the balcony discounts for our level.

The drop this morning was never noted verbally as being for new bookings only. The price dropped, I got the message and made the call at 5 am.

Like I said, I'm not all wound up about the $25. I just don't understand why if the same price drop had happened two weeks ago, before the updates, we would have kept our $100 discount. Now because of software upgrades our reservation is affected. :confused:

Cathy

you're not the only one this has happened to since the system was upgraded. I'd call C&A and have the issue escalated to resolutions. You shouldn't be penalized because some bit head in IT didn't properly code the changes.

you're not the only one this has happened to since the system was upgraded. I'd call C&A and have the issue escalated to resolutions. You shouldn't be penalized because some bit head in IT didn't properly code the changes.
I disagree, If you book at a price 6 Months ago and applied the balcony discount and now the the price dropped. The new price should be todays price minus todays balcony discount. If all you folks keep squeaking RCI is going to stop allowing you to get price drops without canceling & re-booking.

The problem appears to be that when a price reduction is entered into the system for a specific booking number, the "system" thinks that the booking was made today, even it was made a year ago.

Since most price reductions occur within 6 months of departure, the "system" automatically is reducing the balcony discount by $25 which is what normally happens when you book within 6 months of departure.

From what has been posted on other threads, C&A has to manually reapply that $25 that was deducted.

The problem appears to be that when a price reduction is entered into the system for a specific booking number, the "system" thinks that the booking was made today, even it was made a year ago.

Since most price reductions occur within 6 months of departure, the "system" automatically is reducing the balcony discount by $25 which is what normally happens when you book within 6 months of departure.

From what has been posted on other threads, C&A has to manually reapply that $25 that was deducted.

You are almost 100% correct. Two discount codes are available for each status. For example... Plat for a 6-9 night sailing has 2 codes, one for 6 months + which is HAUP for $100.00 off the room and less than 6 months HAVN which is for $75.00 off the stateroom. The new booking tools are designed to automatically apply these discounts so CAS has less workload to do; however, one of the glitches is when repricing a reservation with a pre-system enhanced price code with say HAUP on it will cause the automated discount system to reapply what it thinks is the correct code based off of the conversion date from old price code to new giving people HAVN. It can be corrected by calling CAS but once all of the old booking price codes have disappeared this will no longer be an issue.

Edited by Lunarclipse

This does not involve our balcony discount but involves pricing. We changed a reservation for the Allure end of next year today and instead of getting todays price on a OV balcony cabin we got the price that is was on the date of our original reservation which was $50 less per person:eek:

I know that because I checked the price history on a site I can't name here

This does not involve our balcony discount but involves pricing. We changed a reservation for the Allure end of next year today and instead of getting todays price on a OV balcony cabin we got the price that is was on the date of our original reservation which was $50 less per person:eek:

I know that because I checked the price history on a site I can't name here

Did you use a Next Cruise booking? If so taxes and/or 'port charges' can remain at the price they were when you made the Next Cruise booking thus causing a lower rate.

Did you use a Next Cruise booking? If so taxes and/or 'port charges' can remain at the price they were when you made the Next Cruise booking thus causing a lower rate.

Yes I did. I know that port charges stay the same but the actual cruise fare usually is priced at that days rate but this time it did not do that, it priced at the original booking date price. Weird!!:rolleyes:

Thank you Patti! That's exactly it and yes, I do believe it is a "problem". You've explained it just as it was explained to me by the CVP. He just left off your last sentence. :rolleyes: I'm making the call!

Cathy

Yes I did. I know that port charges stay the same but the actual cruise fare usually is priced at that days rate but this time it did not do that, it priced at the original booking date price. Weird!!:rolleyes:

Sometimes RCI will go the extra mile for guests and won't reprice to the prevailing rate. =]

I disagree, If you book at a price 6 Months ago and applied the balcony discount and now the the price dropped. The new price should be todays price minus todays balcony discount. If all you folks keep squeaking RCI is going to stop allowing you to get price drops without canceling & re-booking.

On this one you're flat out wrong. The original booking date has always stayed in force regardless of when a price drop happened. No one is squeaking anyone. The system is screwed up.

Nope, sorry this is not correct and I have several booking confirmations that support that this is not correct. The balcony discount is based on when you book not when and if you adjust the original booking.

Now change the ship and sail date and if it is less than 6 months away then yes the discount will be adjusted.

Edit...ok so now I see that it was your opinion not fact. I misread your post to be that you were stating a fact. Yes, you are entitled to your opinion.

Edited by looking4info

On this one you're flat out wrong. The original booking date has always stayed in force regardless of when a price drop happened. No one is squeaking anyone. The system is screwed up.

Just because that's the way it has been done in the past doesn't mean that's the way it's going to be done in the future. You have a right to your opinion but my opinion is that you are allowed the price drop and you should be happy about that and not worry about the $25 reduction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

True We have always been given the balcony discount on the original date even when we changed to a cruise less than 6 months out.

So much for Crown & Anchor Society. I just spoke to "Nigel" and he said he received an email today saying they can no longer adjust (manually or otherwise) the balcony discount for cases such as mine. Great. I feel so special. Thanks Nigel.

Guess I'll now look at it from this point of view. If I'm fortunate enough to get another price drop (prior to final payment date), my balcony discount shouldn't be compromised.

Cathy

Edited by shelbylook

Just because that's the way it has been done in the past doesn't mean that's the way it's going to be done in the future. You have a right to your opinion but my opinion is that you are allowed the price drop and you should be happy about that and not worry about the $25 reduction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You are certainly entitled to your opinion regardless of whether it is utterly inaccurate. In this case your opinion is flat out wrong, and does a disservice to people who post here to get facts.

Edited by orville99

Balcony and Suite discounts are based off of the date of creation. Unless you use a Next Cruise booking and then the discount is based off of the date of conversion. This has not changed and that is policy.

Try telling that to Nigel! Oh, and btw, we did use a next cruise certificate converting it at the time of booking on April 26, 2013. The fact remains, we booked a cruise 11 months out and utilized our Crown and Anchor platinum balcony discount. But because I chose to take advantage of a price drop that just happened to show up after the "system upgrade" and was not for new bookings only, our eligible discount was reduced.

Apparently once again the rules have changed. New Rule: If you book a cruise outside of 6 months and utilize your rightful balcony discount at the time of booking and then within 6 months of your sailing you are made aware of a price drop and choose to take advantage of it, you will lose a portion of your balcony discount.

Where's the "whatever" button? ;)