Guess What Happens After Explore4 Ends?

SightCRR

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Our TA cruise dropped $1000 for a category VD. I was booked in a VB on the stern but gladly opted to rebook to a VD and we are saving $700 pp. We would have a difficult time using up the $50 in drinks per person...I'd much prefer to buy what we want to drink and save the $$$ on the front end.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Seems to me HAL is trying to increase their revenue by "adjusting" anything to do with alcohol. First the Signature Beverage Package last year...and that wasn't successful. Then the Explore4 where they built it into the price of the cruise. I wonder how many peeps will cancel and rebook w/o that package? And, let's not forget the "from one extreme to another" wine policy. :rolleyes:[/SIZE][/FONT]

Well, after three calls to HAL, we now have a 2K reduction on our reservation but have lost the Explorer 4 package. One lady wanted to increase our deposit to the standard but her computer shut down and she told me to call back. When I just now called back, I asked if they needed anything else but she never mentioned more deposit. We will see how this plays out. The last lady at HAL said to keep watching because there could be some interesting changes coming up soon.

Thanks to all of you on CC I know where to look for those changes.

[quote name='lindaler']Well, after three calls to HAL, we now have a 2K reduction on our reservation but have lost the Explorer 4 package. One lady wanted to increase our deposit to the standard but her computer shut down and she told me to call back. When I just now called back, I asked if they needed anything else but she never mentioned more deposit. We will see how this plays out. The last lady at HAL said to keep watching because there could be some interesting changes coming up soon.

Thanks to all of you on CC I know where to look for those changes.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm....wondering if this has something to do with the HAL/Princess re-org. A person I was speaking with in the Neptune told me that HAL was currently Carnival's most profitable company. Sounded like they were stockholders and knew a lot about the companies.

[quote name='lindaler']Well, after three calls to HAL, we now have a 2K reduction on our reservation but have lost the Explorer 4 package. One lady wanted to increase our deposit to the standard but her computer shut down and she told me to call back. When I just now called back, I asked if they needed anything else but she never mentioned more deposit. We will see how this plays out. The last lady at HAL said to keep watching because there could be some interesting changes coming up soon.

Thanks to all of you on CC I know where to look for those changes.[/QUOTE]

Keep that additional deposit handy... I gave up the Explore4 and got a big reduction but my TA called me in a panic and said that HAL wants the standard deposit or I would lose my reservation.

Peter

Hi all, I'm a newbie to Hal and just booked an Alaska cruise on the 18th after I went to check the prices after watching for the promo to end and found the price had dropped $300 for an interior cabin on Sept. 7, 2014. Could you guys please tell me the best way to watch for a price drop? Thanks and I can't wait to try HAL.

We have an $1800 pp price drop on our 22 day Med cruise. They wanted to take away our AMEX benefit but our TA talked them out of it. They did not ask for an additional deposit.
This is a big difference. It buys a lot of drinks and Pinnacle Grill dinners(especially since we are 4* Mariners and get them at 1/2 price), and then some!.
We never wanted the Explore 4 package to begin with.
Terri Edited by Cruzin Terri

[quote name='smarks']Hi all, I'm a newbie to Hal and just booked an Alaska cruise on the 18th after I went to check the prices after watching for the promo to end and found the price had dropped $300 for an interior cabin on Sept. 7, 2014. Could you guys please tell me the best way to watch for a price drop? Thanks and I can't wait to try HAL.[/QUOTE]

Quite a few of us use "cruise fish dot net". No spaces. You can look yourself or for a small fee they will send you email when the price drops. Price include Cruise and Port Charges. Fees are extra. So what they show should mimic HAL prices when you add HAL fees.

Peter

I have been watching the prices of our cruise with Cruise Fish Dot Net ( leave out space and replace dot with . )
Sightcrr

SFO Peter beat me to the same answer by 3 minutes. Edited by SightCRR
coments from another post

[quote name='frankc98376']From HAL's terms and conditions for Explore 4 (at hollandamerica.com/explore4):

[B]Free Signature Beverage Package is not available on Caribbean and Mexico cruises—or on the land portion of Alaska Land+Sea Journeys. Signature Beverage Package has a daily limit of 15 beverages priced $7.00 or lower. Signature Beverage Package excludes beverages priced over $7.00 and purchases made in Signature Shops, Mini Bar and In Room Dining, or beverages on Half Moon Cay. Signature Beverage Packages are not transferable or refundable. Participants may order only one drink at a time, must be 21 years or older and agree not to give alcoholic drinks to minors. No sharing is permitted. Beverage management reserves the right to revoke the Signature Beverage Package if misused and reserves the right to refuse service for any reason, including refusing service of alcoholic beverages to intoxicated guests. Signature Beverage Package has a retail value of US$50 per person per day, including service charges.[/B][/quote]
I note that "participants may order one drink at a time. " Does this mean that you cannot participate in Happy Hour when they have one drink and the second free or priced at $1 when you order at any one time???

[quote name='kiwijohn']I note that "participants may order one drink at a time. " Does this mean that you cannot participate in Happy Hour when they have one drink and the second free or priced at $1 when you order at any one time???[/QUOTE]

You wouldn't need to participate in happy hour- your first and second are "free" with the Signature Card. I'm sure with the $50 card they would honor happy hour prices.
They just won't let you order 2 at one time on the card (i.e. taking one to someone that didn't have a card.

[quote name='Cruzin Terri']We have an $1800 pp price drop on our 22 day Med cruise. They wanted to take away our AMEX benefit but our TA talked them out of it. They did not ask for an additional deposit.
This is a big difference. It buys a lot of drinks and Pinnacle Grill dinners(especially since we are 4* Mariners and get them at 1/2 price), and then some!.
We never wanted the Explore 4 package to begin with.
Terri[/quote]

Wow, that's a huge difference. We wouldn't hesitate to do the same.
So far the price for our cruise has not dropped. If and when it does, then we'll judge whether the price drop is enough to justify giving up the Explore 4.

I'm also remembering when everyone was talking about the difficulty of getting that Pinnacle dinner when so many are getting it free -- HAL knew lots of people would be dropping the Explore 4, so it will all work out. ;):D

[quote name='smarks']Hi all, I'm a newbie to Hal and just booked an Alaska cruise on the 18th after I went to check the prices after watching for the promo to end and found the price had dropped $300 for an interior cabin on Sept. 7, 2014. Could you guys please tell me the best way to watch for a price drop? Thanks and I can't wait to try HAL.[/QUOTE]

I'm afraid I'm very much a low-tech person. When we book (or think about booking) a cruise, I write down, on a bit of paper, the prices of at least 2 of the categories on the HAL page where the cruise appears on the computer. By comparing prices when "sales" appear, (even though they may not be our category), I can at least see if prices have truly dropped. If they have, we get our TA to check our category. Actually, on our next year's cruise in October, prices have gone up - and they're still up. I'm wondering what will happen over the next few weeks.

The promotion (that just ended) was very interesting. If we now rebook a cruise (just booked 4 days ago) our cost would drop by $2,460 on a 38 day cruise. This is the net drop when adjusting for OBCs. The only difference is we lost the free Pinnacle Dinner (worth a total of $25 since we are 4 Star) and the drink package. Now HA values the drink package at $3800 but we figure its real value to us would be about $1900 - $2000 based on our drinking habits on cruises.

My only advice is that anyone who has booked under the promotion might want to now go back and do some price comparison,

Hank

That is what we did. We listed all the coffees, bottled water and sodas/wines we might drink each day and multiplied by the number of days on our cruise, 31 and set the drop the 4 package at anything over 1k. When it dropped four days after booking by 2k we didn't have to think long to take the new price. We have been on several cruises and have been happy with the juice and coffee served at meals so bought very few of the more expensive drinks.

[quote name='lindaler']That is what we did. We listed all the coffees, bottled water and sodas/wines we might drink each day and multiplied by the number of days on our cruise[/quote]

That's what I'm doing as well. I figure we would spend about $25/person/day on our 7 day cruise plus we would be buying one dinner at the Pinnacle. That comes out to right around $400, which is the price difference... and gives us the extra $25/day to spend if we so desire.

Very interesting information.
I have booked the Explore4 due to the 3rd/4th cruise for discount. I am taking my mom and sis with us, yes, 4 to a cabin but it is the only way to be affordable for them on a fixed income.

I will keep an eye on the cabin costs. We are going inside, and I know it would be more comfortable for inside if we had two seperate cabins and not just a quad!!

As for the drinks; nice, but not necessary. :)

Boy, if it weren't for CruiseCritic I'd be so in the dark about the Explore4 cost. I contacted my TA and got new lower prices on two cruises, a savings of $384 on one and $500 on the other. As a solo traveller I'm always looking for ways to keep costs down. And as a 4star Mariner I'll get 50% off on so many things that I sure know I'm way ahead by giving up the Explore4 for the lower price. I don't drink much, so there's no way I could have used up $50/day.

[CENTER]748 days at sea....38 ships.....7 continents

[/CENTER]

[quote name='SightCRR']FYI since we got rid of Explore4 for the price reduction when I did it they said I didn't need to pay higher deposit. Now about a month later HAL called and said that I had to double my deposit.
Sightcrr[/QUOTE]

I am not surprised. I was told I would not need to pay a higher deposit but am expecting that the same thing will happen to us.
Terri

I too have been waiting for HAL to say we owe more on our deposit. Yesterday I got a statement from HAL on the booking but it matches exactly the one I got ten days ago when we gave up Explore4 for a price reduction. All we can do is wait and see.

Book what you want now and then get the Cruise Puppy app. It monitors price changes. We had two price drops on our last cruise. Just call HAL and asked for the adjustment. But be quick! One of the price changes only lasted a day.

• 2 weeks later...