Guess What Happens After Explore4 Ends?

SightCRR

Just checked our July 2014 price and our cabin category hasn't changed (C guarantee) -- but some verandahs are now the same price as our outside C. With this cruise, and only 2 sea days out of 12, we don't feel it would be worth switching and losing the beverage pkg. We wouldn't be able to use that verandah enough on this port-intensive cruise.

We already had gotten a price drop for our cabin and kept the pkg. so we're happy for now unless the price drops a lot.

I checked today and my Baltics cruise price dropped $300 pp so I called to rebook. At first they told me I was going to lose the explore4 but at the end of the call the lady told me she found a way to keep it. I was willing to lose the explore4 because we aren't big drinkers and it's a port intensive cruise. I will actually drink a soda on this cruise though since it's included.

Hi all...

I access the site from Australia, and this is all quite interesting to me. On the HAL website we also have the "explore 4" promotion but with two differences.

1. the promotion ends 30th November and...

2. we don't have anything on offer regarding the drinks package!

We have:

1. receive up to $300 shipboard credit per stateroom

2. free specialty restaurant dinner

3. reduced cruise fares for 3rd/4th guest

4. reduced deposit

I've heard others mention the drinks package on HAL's facebook site but forgot all about it until I just read this thread. From what I can see all the posters have been from Nth America and I'm wondering if HAL's loyal Australian mariners are missing out! :confused:

I checked for my cruise, it did drop $200/pp. However... I know we would have spent at least one meal at the Pinnacle Grill, so there's value in that. I also know that we would buy sodas and I would get a latte each morning. We also took the last handicap lanai room (CA Category), there aren't a lot of them so I knew I had to get it while it was still available. So I am not going to try and get any of that drop because we probably would have spent it in the long run and now I'll have the freedom to try drinks I normally wouldn't allow my more frugal self to buy. :) My goal for our next cruise was to be right around 5k including airfare and that is what we are at, so I am satisfied.

I just checked last night and some of the verandah categories (VF and VD) have dropped considerably on my TA next fall. I checked last week and that wasn't the case, so I assume they dropped when Explore4 ended.

I have time before I decide what to do...we're in a VB on the stern. But a VD would be fine, too. I don't know what those categories were "before" but the difference in price between the VB and VD is $620 per person!

The Beverage Package isn't a big draw for me anyway.

I just checked last night and some of the verandah categories (VF and VD) have dropped considerably on my TA next fall. I checked last week and that wasn't the case, so I assume they dropped when Explore4 ended.

I have time before I decide what to do...we're in a VB on the stern. But a VD would be fine, too. I don't know what those categories were "before" but the difference in price between the VB and VD is $620 per person!

The Beverage Package isn't a big draw for me anyway.

That's a big difference, Sheila.

Hi all...

I access the site from Australia, and this is all quite interesting to me. On the HAL website we also have the "explore 4" promotion but with two differences.

1. the promotion ends 30th November and...

2. we don't have anything on offer regarding the drinks package!

We have:

1. receive up to $300 shipboard credit per stateroom

2. free specialty restaurant dinner

3. reduced cruise fares for 3rd/4th guest

4. reduced deposit

I'm from Pennsylvania, and the difference when I booked was we got the Signature Beverage package whose value is stated as $50 pp/ $100 per cabin per day. We did NOT get the $300 OBC. However, we are going to Alaska. People who booked Mexico and the Caribbean got a drink card for $50 pp/$100 per cabin total. So it depends -- some would gladly choose the $300 OBC.

[quote name='Vict0riann']I believe on some of the Caribbean "holiday" cruises the offer just included a $50 drinks card per person for the whole cruise.

As OVgirl mentioned in a previous post.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="3"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]That would be one $50 beverage card per person for the entire length of the cruise, whether it be 7 days or 21 days. This is for all Mexican and Caribbean cruises. Not really much of a perk.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[quote name='Vict0riann']I believe on some of the Caribbean "holiday" cruises the offer just included a $50 drinks card per person for the whole cruise.

As OVgirl mentioned in a previous post.[/QUOTE]

True. I was referencing my Canada/New England cruise next summer.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I just found that our cruise went down $1000 each three days after the explorer 4 package stopped. $2000 is a lot of drinks. but she said if we had suggestions as to how others have still held onto the package she would look into it for us. Any one know what let them hold onto the package would help but I know that we would not use the package for that much. Guess it was just a nice thought but 2k is 2k so I think this afternoon we will be changing.

[quote name='Crazy For Cats']The explore 4 offered 50 per day per person. Typically we each spend about 75 per person for the whole cruise. That would make 50 per day per person a real challenge.[/quote]

The beverage package is the standard one. 15 drinks/person/day at $7 or less. The "retail value" of the package is $50/day not the drink limit.

Actually, scratch what I said... I decided to call a second time since there was conflitcing tinformation given to myself and what others have said. Of course I got a second answer this time around. :) I was told that it does cap out at $50/person/day.

[quote name='sherilyn70']Actually, scratch what I said... I decided to call a second time since there was conflitcing tinformation given to myself and what others have said. Of course I got a second answer this time around. :) I was told that it does cap out at $50/person/day.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for coming back with a clarification. My head has been spinning with the conflicting reports and interpretations. It definitely will help people decide what to do when their prices go down and they gave to weigh keeping the Explore 4 or giving it up to rebook.

[quote name='sherilyn70']Actually, scratch what I said... I decided to call a second time since there was conflitcing tinformation given to myself and what others have said. Of course I got a second answer this time around. :) I was told that it does cap out at $50/person/day.[/quote]

Hmmm. Interesting if true. Consider somebody who wanted to actually purchase the drink package. They could then pre-pay $50 a day for "no more then $50 per day in drinks." Sounds like a pretty stupid purchase. So, as a promotion it might be a good thing....but not as a purchase option.

Hank

[quote name='sherilyn70']Actually, scratch what I said... I decided to call a second time since there was conflitcing tinformation given to myself and what others have said. Of course I got a second answer this time around. :) I was told that it does cap out at $50/person/day.[/QUOTE]

From HAL's terms and conditions for Explore 4 (at hollandamerica.com/explore4):

[B]Free Signature Beverage Package is not available on Caribbean and Mexico cruises—or on the land portion of Alaska Land+Sea Journeys. Signature Beverage Package has a daily limit of 15 beverages priced $7.00 or lower. Signature Beverage Package excludes beverages priced over $7.00 and purchases made in Signature Shops, Mini Bar and In Room Dining, or beverages on Half Moon Cay. Signature Beverage Packages are not transferable or refundable. Participants may order only one drink at a time, must be 21 years or older and agree not to give alcoholic drinks to minors. No sharing is permitted. Beverage management reserves the right to revoke the Signature Beverage Package if misused and reserves the right to refuse service for any reason, including refusing service of alcoholic beverages to intoxicated guests. Signature Beverage Package has a retail value of US$50 per person per day, including service charges.[/B] Edited by frankc98376

[quote name='Hlitner']Hmmm. Interesting if true. Consider somebody who wanted to actually purchase the drink package. They could then pre-pay $50 a day for "no more then $50 per day in drinks." Sounds like a pretty stupid purchase. So, as a promotion it might be a good thing....but not as a purchase option.[/quote]

At this point there is a $400 price drop. It is still more to our benefit to keep the package than to drop it. But if it drops much further I'll have to reconsider.

[quote name='boards']It has been less than one day, but our cruise rate remains the same as it was with the Explore4 promotiom, so the Explore4 promotion looks like it is a good deal to us so far. Time will tell.[/QUOTE]

Well it did happen, price dropped but not enough to consider rescheduling. Will continue to watch. Edited by boards