No Excursions booked, can we...............?

just4steven

First timer going on Carnival Legend stopping in Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize and Roatan. I think I also read that a couple of these stops, I think Cozumel and Belize, are loaded with ships those days, meaning lots of people of course.

I understand there are always ways to have fun and do some things without having an excursion booked, like with a taxi, but I was more curious about things like island tours and snorkeling trips without being book ahead of time? If you have not booked with the ship or private company are there usually openings for these types of activities when you arrive in port? Or will we be pretty much stuck walking around near the ship?

Thanks!

First timer going on Carnival Legend stopping in Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize and Roatan. I think I also read that a couple of these stops, I think Cozumel and Belize, are loaded with ships those days, meaning lots of people of course.

I understand there are always ways to have fun and do some things without having an excursion booked, like with a taxi, but I was more curious about things like island tours and snorkeling trips without being book ahead of time? If you have not booked with the ship or private company are there usually openings for these types of activities when you arrive in port? Or will we be pretty much stuck walking around near the ship?

Thanks!

That is actually a great itinerary for winging it... You'll find tons of stuff right when you walk off of the ship - not having it booked ahead of time is fine, just be prepared to be overwhelmed rather quickly with lots of helpful tour operators and taxi cabs ready to whisk you off to adventure.

If you want to snorkel for also free in Grand Cayman turn right when leaving the tender pier and take a short walk to Eden Rock.

In Cozumel take a taxi to The Money bar for around 9.00 p/pea way.

Edited by caribsun

Thanks!

There is a chocolate factory in the port area in Belize that's a fun thing to do. Just turn left once you get off the tender and walk down almost to the end of the shopping area. It takes about 30 minutes; you get to decorate your own chocolate bars.

Roatan - you will have to walk quite a way [up a pretty steep hill] in order to get to the local merchants. That's the deal with Carnival!

Cozumel - Walk through the shopping area and you will find the taxis. They have rates posted. There are also lots of people just waiting to take you around! However, if there are a lot of ships in port, you might want to consider pre-booking at a beach like Nachi Cocum or Mr. Sancho's. You can arrange snorkeling through them.

Have fun!

snorkeling trips without being book ahead of time? If you have not booked with the ship or private company are there usually openings for these types of activities when you arrive in port?

For snorkeling trips I would prebook. We picked up a snorkel tour at a pier once (we stopped at a unscheduled island once due to bad weather.)

The tour was terrible. Much too crowded, and they expected us to stay in a mob. I didn't know we were going to that port, or I would have planned something.

Thanks!

Sorry, don't know about Roatan; but I would second the opinion offered here that wandering around Belize City on your own is inadvisable. It's scary outside the terminal gates (think: Jamaica).

Grand Cayman and Cozumel should be fine on your own. Just make sure to keep your watch set to "ship's time", and know what time "all aboard" (or "last tender") is. Please don't ever make the mistake of letting a bartender, taxi driver, or shop-keeper in port tell you when your ship is scheduled to depart. Unless you are on an excursion that you purchased through the ship/cruise line -- the ship will not wait for you, if you are late! Have a great cruise!

Edited by wwcruisers

The one country I would not tour on your own is Belize. We have been on a few excursions and the guides say its not safe roaming alone outside the port area.

Agree! In Belize you would be better off booking a tour through the ship or with an independent.

Your other ports are easy to do on your own if you wish. :)

LuLu

~~~~

If you aren't going to book an excursion (and you certainly don't have to!!!), you should read a guidebook on your ports....having some info will really enhance your time ashore. Libraries have them, or you can buy one at a bookstore!

Without know something about where you're going, you will have no way to know what is there, how to get to it, etc......get a guidebook!!!

Thanks!

One of the things I do not like about lots of countries and this includes the Caribbean is that when you get off the ship, you are literally mobbed by people trying to sell you tours. They do not take "no" for an answer.

You will have lots of choices for last minute tours.

DON

The one country I would not tour on your own is Belize. We have been on a few excursions and the guides say its not safe roaming alone outside the port area.

True, but the OP was looking to see if tours were available without setting up prior and they are right when you come off the tender.. I agree that Belize is one to probably research a bit before, but there are lots of great options independently or with the cruiseline offering

Thanks!

You can go the the website cruisett.com to see what other ships will be in port with you. :)

I just found out a couple of weeks ago that we are going to be one of 5 ships docked at Cozumel in February. I hate crowds. I found out that Nachi Cocom limits their sales to 100 pax. Mr. Sancho's web-site reads that they limit the sales to 200 but I saw several reviews on another site where the reviewers complained that there were way too many people. We decided to reserve with Nachi Cocom. Based on the reviews the beach isn't exceptionally beautiful and the Snorkeling isn't amazing but the service is good, it limits the number of people, it is all inclusive and they have other water sports for an additional fee. I'm hoping it will be fun!

Thank you again for all the tips everyone! Definitely trying to book something through the ship in Belize and Roatan as well. Probably taxi to Money Bar in Coz an wing it in GC unless something comes up. We are the only ship in GC so I guess winging it might be a good idea.

Just came back a few weeks ago from the 7 day cruise to Roatan, Belize and Cozumel. I agree about Belize. You can check out the port area of Belize and the indoor shopping mall but don't go outside the iron gates on your own. There were people trying to sell you tours when you first get off the tender but I didn't have an issue with them. I just either walked on ignoring them or said no. Oh, and the heat in Belize was out of this world and I am from New Orleans and we know heat to but Belize takes the cake. Even Roatan, further south by South America, had nicer weather than Belize and Cozumel had a nice cool breeze. I did the Halloween cruise. The coldest I heard it gets in Roatan is 64 degrees so don't waste luggage space packing cold weather clothes. Maybe a light jacket for hanging out in the ship at night.

Oh, if you like nature tours, I did the Monkey and Pirates of the Caribbean tour in Roatan. It was awesome and well worth it. They introduce you to all the beautiful native plants and you see wild native animals hopping around. The monkeys (Rescues from the pet trade) were so lively and fun. The tour guides go out of their way to help accommodate everyone.

Edited by Agahnim

Thanks!

Grand Cayman is a perfect port for doing one of the private excursions offered right when you get off the ship. Typically I always book excursions in advance, but on my last trip to Grand Cayman I was there with my mom (who doesn't like to plan anything in advance). We ended up getting an island tour with included several stops & optional beach stop at the end for only $20 per person. There were several options available, right there when you get off the ship.

Roatan has the complex of shops right when you get off the ship. There's a pathway to walk to their beach area that's specific to the cruise travelers. Odds are it'll be packed with people, but it's a convient option if you want something cheap and easy to do that doesn't require any preplanning. I don't recall if they had tours offered when you get off the ship or not offhand.

Belize is a tender port. There are some shops right at the pier area, but the Cruise pier area is in a gated area so that the locals can not be in that area unless they are authorized. It's not recommended that you go outside of the gates yourself. Therefore, I would recommend booking an excursion in advance. We did ziplinging in the rain forest on one trip, and the ruins of Altun Ha & river wallace on another trip - both Carnival excursions.

Cozumel offers some of my favorite excursions, both of which do require advance preparation of booking excursions. Specifically, we've done the Mayan Ruins of Tulum & Rio Secreto (The Secret River - which you actually got to trek & swim through a cave). Both of those require taking the ferry ride to Playa del Carmen. If the more involved excursions do not seem to be something you'd be interested in, there are things available for excursions right there at the port & lots of shops, etc in the walking distance.

Good luck & enjoy your cruise! That's a great itinerary!

Having an idea of what you might like to do is a good idea. In Slovenia I had planned to take a bus to the nearby city of Piran. While at the bus stop a taxi driver came and offered the 9 of us in our group a tour on the way to and from Piran. It cost us $5 more round trip per person but unlike the bus we were able to take the small roads near the ocean and stop for pictures. We even went the long way back so the driver could show us some of his favourite places. So not only was the Piran part of our trip wonderful but the drive was as well.

In Dobrovnik we were going to take the bus to the old city but my DH again found a tour guide that took us up to where the cable car is and dropped and picked us up by the gates of the old city for just a little more.

In Tortola we were going to take the ferry to the Bath's in Virgin Gorda but on our way we were stopped by an owner of a boar that asked us to join his group. We got to the Baths much quicker and were picked up at the beach leaving us more time to spend in the water. The cost again was only a small amount more.

Cozumel has wonderful beaches that you can take a taxi to. At a good majority of these beaches you can rent snorkel. They also have snorkeling equipment to rent if you don't want to bring your own (but I would bring your own). There may also be small snorkeling boats you could pay to get on. They'll bring you out in the ocean and you can snorkel off the boat. These beaches serve great drinks and food. Have a lot of fun.

Hannah