Where to go after Baltic cruise

miamichic

Hello

I want to add a 4-5 day post cruise stay in 1 additional city. We embark/disembark from Copenhagen and will do a 3 day pre-cruise stay. I was thinking of doing London but was wondering if anyone had an other suggestions

Thanks in advance!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Amsterdam, Stockholm so many choices ;)

Oh yes, both Amsterdam and Stockholm are wonderful choices. London is also magnificent.

London is a vibrant city rich in history and home to wonderful museums ... love it. Stockholm is simply beautiful ... Amsterdam is also lovely with its quaint houses on the canals, world class museums, floating flower market, etc. Guess it depends on your interests and what you would most like to see/do. :)

I assume that your cruise will include a port stopover in Stockholm so, if I were to choose, I would opt for either Amsterdam or London.

Yep, so many choices.

Edited by dogs4fun

If this is your first time in Europe, I would also say London. So much to see and do a week isn't enough time. We did a pre and post cruise stay in London, with a side trips to Paris and a day visiting sites outside of London.

We would love to go back someday.

Cheers

Len

I would suggest London, also. There is so much to see and do that you will not have enough time to do it all in 4-5 days. We've been to London several times and look forward to going back. Someday I may see even more of England. The biggest advantage of London is they speak the same basic language.

Amsterdam is also a great city to explore. It has good public transportation. Be careful of the bikes - they are everywhere! We enjoyed our week there. There are some good companies with day trips into the Dutch countryside and down to Delft and Hague if those places interest you. English is also readily spoken here - one time we walked into a restaurant and were just handed English language menus.

You really won't go wrong visiting either city.

How about St. Petersburg , Russia ? Most people will consider it the highlight of their cruise. It is the same 2hr. flight time as London and you have the time to experience it - at your own pace . We stayed in an apartment , eating some of our meals there, for less money than our hotel stays in London. London is great city which we visited after our NCL Baltic cruise in 2006. But in hind-sight , we wished that we would have stayed in St. Petersburg.

How about St. Petersburg , Russia ? Most people will consider it the highlight of their cruise. It is the same 2hr. flight time as London and you have the time to experience it - at your own pace . We stayed in an apartment , eating some of our meals there, for less money than our hotel stays in London. London is great city which we visited after our NCL Baltic cruise in 2006. But in hind-sight , we wished that we would have stayed in St. Petersburg.

Wouldn't I need a visa?

Thank you for the replies. Russia would be my first choice but I don't want to go through the expense and hassle of getting a visa.

My husband is not feeling Amsterdam

We were thinking Berlin? In part because is supposedly a lot cheaper than London and we would not spend so much on a private shore excursion to reach Berlin

We are into historical sights and enjoy walkable cities (no museums really unless it's the highlights)

Just to give you some background we have cruised Med 2xs, and have also done a lot of Italy, Madrid, Barcelona and Paris on land trips

Edited by miamichic

I have not yet visited Berlin, but will be going there next year. I was trying to spend several days in Berlin before our cruise, but alas cannot leave early and this time will have to settle for an especially long shore excursion from Warnemunde.

However, there are cheap flights from Copenhagen to Berlin, and by northern Europe standards, Berlin is a cheap place to visit with hotel rooms 40 percent of the price of London hotels. And a possibility is travel by train to Hamburg and Lubeck, and then from Hamburg to Berlin.

These days Berlin gets more tourists than any other city in Europe after London and Paris.

Thank you for the replies. Russia would be my first choice but I don't want to go through the expense and hassle of getting a visa.

We were thinking Berlin? In part because is supposedly a lot cheaper than London and we would not spend so much on a private shore excursion to reach Berlin

We are into historical sights and enjoy walkable cities (no museums really unless it's the highlights)

Just to give you some background we have cruised Med 2xs, and have also done a lot of Italy, Madrid, Barcelona and Paris on land trips

Thanks for the clarification on your previous travels. I think Berlin would be a great option. It is a magnificent city. If your cruise stops in Warnemunde, you could visit the Rostock/Schwerin area instead of making the day long trek to Berlin for an abbreviated visit which many cruise passengers do.

Might I suggest that you consider your heritage and possibly select a city from that country? We are going to Krakow from Copenhagen. Krakow is SO much less expensive than anywhere in Scandinavia or London and the flights are relatively inexpensive one way from Copenhagen.

I would do Berlin...it's not well suited as a shore excursion from a German port and is so huge it's better done as a land trip. Hotels have some of the best prices of major western European capitals.

Neighborhoods are walkable - but after you take a Ubahn or Sbahn to get where you want to go. Unter der Linden is a wonderful street to walk - even with the U-bahn construction making it a mess right now. Sites are pretty far apart and as I said it's a really large city. As to historical sites, it's mostly cold war and WW2 stuff. The Pergamon museum was one of our favorites in Europe. City has a great tourism website that assists with the right combo transportation card and museum card based on length of stay and interests.

Another thought - Brussels, Brugge, Antwerp, Ghent. All four are easy - peasy visits by train if you land in Brussels airport, take a trains to each and stay a night or use Ghent as a base.

Edited by buggins0402