Did Celebrity get it right - Captain's Club

ghstudio

Sort of.....

I do think they got the new levels right...the break points and the conversion, even the bonuses for those close to elite. It gives them flexibility to give points as incentives, no one lost any perks, those with 25 or more old points got some additional recognition (perks) and the top cruisers got a formal level. Very well done IMHO

As I've previously said, I think the rollout was very poorly managed...or perhaps the poor management was of those in the IT department/the web folks who managed to mangle something that should have been thoroughly tested prior to announce.

I do think there is one area that can be easily fixed over time, if needed, and that's the marketing value of elite plus. Certainly there is marketing value to get to elite...free drinks, internet minutes, etc. Folks booked concierge cabins rather than verandah just to get an additional point (we did). I question whether the elite plus level has enough additional content to incent folks to upgrade their bookings or throw in another short trip to get to that new level.

One of the biggest new perks is the upgrade within superlevels which means you can now upgrade to a C1 paying only for a C2 or A1 paying for A2. That's a perk worth working towards...but it's available to anyone classic level or above. Additionally, it hurts Celebrity in geographic areas where they have been trying to not offer discounts/offers...south america/asia/australia....because now there is a permanent offer for anyone classic or above. I wonder if that was well though out...because it seems counter intuitive revenue wise. I'll also observe that they recently stopped upgrading to C1 cabins when booking on-board. Now they've reinstated that albeit you have to pay for a C2 instead of a C3, but still a big savings....and this is available to anyone, even if not booking on board. Doesn't seem to be consistency there. This could have been the "big" driver perk for elite plus....but that was not the choice.

Finally, they listened?? I'm not sure what they listened to. I thought one of the constant issues was that there were too many elites...not that anyone wanted to take anything away that was earned, but the cocktail hours are just too crowded. Nothing seems to have changed there...other than it will be a bit harder to become elite. That was something that could have been addressed in the elite+ category...coupons valid all day, etc. The only obvious thing they heard was that it was too easy to get to elite...and they did address that.

So I give Celebrity an A for program design, A, being very generous, D for the web/IT folks rollout, and a B- for elite plus content because it's missing the marketing driver.

In any case, I am thankful for anything I don't have to pay for these days and I do appreciate the additional perks we'll be getting on our next cruise in February.

Now that the program has been formally announced, we can all get back to our important discussions on formal night dress, trays in the buffet area, the new aqua spa and all our usual topics :)

Edited by ghstudio

I like the new program except for the fact that I and probably many others who are booked on an upcoming cruise which would have put us at Select are no longer going to be Select afterward. I read that many Select members who were close to Elite were given bonus points even though they may not even be booked on a next cruise. I have a cruise in only 3 weeks that I purposely booked in a Concierge Class to gain that extra point to be Select for the next time, now I learn we'll still be 10 points away after we get back. If I knew that, I wouldn't have paid almost $1000 more for Concierge since there aren't too many valuable perks to Concierge Class over a balcony except the 1 extra credit which was advertised under the old system.

I know the program is subject to change without notice, but it's not fair that Celebrity recognizes this problem for those who are close to Elite by giving bonus points, but not those of us who are close to Select. I think they should make the bonus points available to those who are in our situation especially when it's well after the final payment date and you can't make changes to your trip.

I like the new program except for the fact that I and probably many others who are booked on an upcoming cruise which would have put us at Select are no longer going to be Select afterward. I read that many Select members who were close to Elite were given bonus points even though they may not even be booked on a next cruise. I have a cruise in only 3 weeks that I purposely booked in a Concierge Class to gain that extra point to be Select for the next time, now I learn we'll still be 10 points away after we get back. If I knew that, I wouldn't have paid almost $1000 more for Concierge since there aren't too many valuable perks to Concierge Class over a balcony except the 1 extra credit which was advertised under the old system.

I know the program is subject to change without notice, but it's not fair that Celebrity recognizes this problem for those who are close to Elite by giving bonus points, but not those of us who are close to Select. I think they should make the bonus points available to those who are in our situation especially when it's well after the final payment date and you can't make changes to your trip.

I feel exactly the same. I would have been much closer to elite with my currently booked cruise than i will be now on the new program. I like the program overall, just dont like that the brass ring moved out of reach a bit.

I think it was handled very well, and factoring in stateroom type in addition to nights is revolutionary in the industry (correct me if I'm wrong).

Bottom line: nobody lost anything (the most important criteria), and those who reach Elite now have two additional levels to strive for. I don't think Elite + is as desireable as Royal's Diamond Plus, but that's just my humble opinion and I'm glad they added the extra levels.

Now I wonder if I book next time if the brass ring will be moved again to screw me twice. I've also never been on RCCL so I was looking forward to having an automatic status there because I was going to be Select. Now I won't be able to until I book (AND SAIL) on another Celebrity cruise.

PS - this is the second time I got negatively impacted by changes. I was on a 14 day in 2000 and was told I only got 1 credit because it was before some cutoff date so the 12+ day extra point wasn't given out. My Concierge Class cabin a few years ago got me the other 2 credits giving me a total of 3 (now 90).

I think it was handled very well, and factoring in stateroom type in addition to nights is revolutionary in the industry (correct me if I'm wrong).

Bottom line: nobody lost anything (the most important criteria), and those who reach Elite now have two additional levels to strive for. I don't think Elite + is as desireable as Royal's Diamond Plus, but that's just my humble opinion and I'm glad they added the extra levels.

Nobody who already cruised lost anything. But as I mentioned, I lost out because I didn't step foot on the ship yet even though everything is paid for and I'm already starting to pack. So I respectfully disagree with you.

I'm happy with the new system. I figured out from our cruise last April on Millennium that it is going to be harder to get points with the new system. We received 8 credits for that cruise (3 segments) which became 240 under the new system. If we sailed the same cruise today in the same cabins, we would get 163. As others have said, they have listened to those who said it was too easy to achieve Elite resulting in crowded lounges etc. I agree that there is no incentive for those of us in Elite + to reach Zenith. However, we will be happy with what we are now offered. Thank you Celebrity.

Nobody who already cruised lost anything. But as I mentioned, I lost out because I didn't step foot on the ship yet even though everything is paid for and I'm already starting to pack. So I respectfully disagree with you.

Why would Celebrity give you old points for cruises you haven't taken yet. It is just like any rewards/loyalty program, you have to complete the cruise, flight, purchase, etc., before you are granted the points.

I think everybody should have gotten the same number of bonus points.

I will end up short just a few points short of E+ after the cruises I have booked (two of which are well past final payment and weeks away).

A few bonus points would have been VERY nice..... :(

May have got them if the program was rolled out in eight weeks after my next two Sky Suites are enjoyed.

Edited by A Sixth?

Why would Celebrity give you old points for cruises you haven't taken yet. It is just like any rewards/loyalty program, you have to complete the cruise, flight, purchase, etc., before you are granted the points.

I would agree if it wasn't past the final payment date. The cruise is literally 3 weeks away and all of a sudden the goal line is moved. My booking at CC cabin was based on the belief, as advertised, that this cruise will make the two of us Select. Now it's changed and the extra cash spent for the cabin was wasted.

I would accept this more if Celebrity didn't recognize this problem for those who are Select and close to Elite by giving them bonus points so their next cruise will get them there, but completely ignored those who are Classic moving to Select. Especially considering we're so close to the sail date.

The Captains Club rep said they wanted to fix this problem for Select moving to Elite so they set up bonus points but didn't do it for Classic moving to Select. Does that seem fair?

PS - I'm not asking for bonus points right now or Select now. I just want to make sure I'm Select after the cruise next month just like I would have been before. I was told I would be 10 points short.

Edited by Paulras

Personally I am a little underwhelmed by the new program. To go from Elite+ to Zenith is nearly impossible unless you are young and rich. There's really no incentive for us to try and earn new points as cruising in an inside cabin it would take us about 1,065 cruise nights to achieve Zenith status.

Thought the perks for Elite+ would have been better.

Maybe after I have sailed and enjoyed the added recognition of Elite + I will feel differently.

Edited by CruisingChick

Sort of.....

I do think they got the new levels right...the break points and the conversion, even the bonuses for those close to elite. It gives them flexibility to give points as incentives, no one lost any perks, those with 25 or more old points got some additional recognition (perks) and the top cruisers got a formal level. Very well done IMHO

As I've previously said, I think the rollout was very poorly managed...or perhaps the poor management was of those in the IT department/the web folks who managed to mangle something that should have been thoroughly tested prior to announce.

I do think there is one area that can be easily fixed over time, if needed, and that's the marketing value of elite plus. Certainly there is marketing value to get to elite...free drinks, internet minutes, etc. Folks booked concierge cabins rather than verandah just to get an additional point (we did). I question whether the elite plus level has enough additional content to incent folks to upgrade their bookings or throw in another short trip to get to that new level.

One of the biggest new perks is the upgrade within superlevels which means you can now upgrade to a C1 paying only for a C2 or A1 paying for A2. That's a perk worth working towards...but it's available to anyone classic level or above. Additionally, it hurts Celebrity in geographic areas where they have been trying to not offer discounts/offers...south america/asia/australia....because now there is a permanent offer for anyone classic or above. I wonder if that was well though out...because it seems counter intuitive revenue wise. I'll also observe that they recently stopped upgrading to C1 cabins when booking on-board. Now they've reinstated that albeit you have to pay for a C2 instead of a C3, but still a big savings....and this is available to anyone, even if not booking on board. Doesn't seem to be consistency there. This could have been the "big" driver perk for elite plus....but that was not the choice.

Finally, they listened?? I'm not sure what they listened to. I thought one of the constant issues was that there were too many elites...not that anyone wanted to take anything away that was earned, but the cocktail hours are just too crowded. Nothing seems to have changed there...other than it will be a bit harder to become elite. That was something that could have been addressed in the elite+ category...coupons valid all day, etc. The only obvious thing they heard was that it was too easy to get to elite...and they did address that.

So I give Celebrity an A for program design, A, being very generous, D for the web/IT folks rollout, and a B- for elite plus content because it's missing the marketing driver.

In any case, I am thankful for anything I don't have to pay for these days and I do appreciate the additional perks we'll be getting on our next cruise in February.

Now that the program has been formally announced, we can all get back to our important discussions on formal night dress, trays in the buffet area, the new aqua spa and all our usual topics :)

I agree. Not too impressed with the new Elite+ level. Extra laundry is not valuable to me given what Infinity did to my clothes (wrote on them with permanent marker that bled through the fabric). Some more dry cleaning would have been nice. I agree--it's missing some sort of wow factor.

Whatever. It is what it is. I still think it's a better program than HAL's. Just think the improvements were overhyped. Maybe now they can get on with fixing the website so it works? I still can't see excursions for my upcoming cruises or register for the connections party.

------, no one lost any perks,

Has anyone seen anything about priority tendering for Elites?

That was the real reason that I was determined to become Elite, after waiting 3 hrs to get off Eclipse in Split in 2010.

I have found priority embarkation at certain ports, so is tendering under the same 'umbrella.'

We are very happy with the new program. Anything they are willing to give their frequent cruisers for free because they are frequent cruisers are great with us. We do not cruise on Celebrity for the points, we cruise on Celebrity because we really enjoy the experience. We have never been disappointed.

Hi Everyone,

I dont have much time to write at the moment, so here's some quick thoughts....

As I've always said, I'm perfectly fine with whatever Celebrity offers for loyalty, but for 4 years in the making, and not much additions for Elite Plus - though I'm very pleased with the additional internet minutes.... at this moment, I feel a tiny bit of a letdown. I think Celebrity has hit a huge Home Run in what they are offering for Zenith members, but for too many Captains Club members, there's simply too much of a gap between Elite Plus and Zenith. As I've repeatedly stated, we cruise Celebrity for the wonderful experience. Any benefits are always welcome, and icing on the cake.

If Celebrity was firm on making Zenith the equivalent of 100 cruises (and that's fine) IMO, they should have added another level at 2250 points or so.... something to bridge the gap, and a more reasonable goal to reach for, so to speak.

I wish Celebrity had offered bonus points for those who paid into Captains Club, and for every year you've been a member of Captains Club, and bonus points for Cruise Critic members (ha ha). Overall, if you take everything into consideration, Celebrity has done a respectable job with the updates.

Edited by Host Andy

Hi Everyone,

I dont have much time to write at the moment, so here's some quick thoughts....

As I've always said, I'm perfectly fine with whatever Celebrity offers for loyalty, but for 4 years in the making, and not much additions for Elite Plus - though I'm very pleased with the additional internet minutes.... all in all, I feel a tiny bit of a letdown. I think Celebrity has hit a huge Home Run in what they are offering for Zenith members, but for too many Captains Club members, there's simply too much of a gap between Elite Plus and Zenith.

If Celebrity was firm on making Zenith the equivalent of 100 cruises (and that's fine) IMO, they should have added another level at 2250 points or so.... something to bridge the gap, and a more reasonable goal to reach for, so to speak.

I wish Celebrity had offered bonus points for those who paid into Captains Club, and for every year you've been a member of Captains Club, and bonus points for Cruise Critic members (ha ha). Overall, if you take everything into consideration, Celebrity has done a respectable job with the updates.

Andy I think we need to elect you President of Celebrity cruise lines.

Underwhelmed with elite plus benefits, but believe the levels are pitched correctly. Agree with previous posters....there really is no wow factor for becoming elite plus. In fact there's no incentive at all to get to that level. That lounge will be awfully quiet with the 2 zenith members rattling around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hope someone can help me figure this out for future cruises: Points are supposed to be rewarded not only on cabin choice but also length of sailing, correct? I usually book veranda and the site says that's worth 3 points....do I multiply that x 12 (for a 12 night sailing we have booked) and then would end up with 36 more points?

Thanks!

I like the whole thing. We will probably never get to Elite + (we're sitting on 450 points) but I think those that do/did make it (and Zenith) deserve a little more than what I've seen. Maybe instead of just a discount on the specialty dining, E+ should get one *free* specialty dinner per cruise, or maybe one free spa treatment. And Z more than that. There aren't a lot of tangible things to give out on a cruise so they have to work with what they can provide, and a discount means you still have to spend some of your own money, something completely free is a nicer thank-you.

Hope someone can help me figure this out for future cruises: Points are supposed to be rewarded not only on cabin choice but also length of sailing, correct? I usually book veranda and the site says that's worth 3 points....do I multiply that x 12 (for a 12 night sailing we have booked) and then would end up with 36 more points?

Thanks!

Yes, you are understanding it correctly. The "new" points are per night.

Harris

Denver, CO