Progressive Check IN EMERGECNY email

kimblythe

Ok...so we board Dec 8th on the Royal. We are traveling in a group of 10, 4 different families. We get the email this morning saying there is now progressive check in and people are supposed to come in groups. Well, we all have different times.....now what? Will they make us stand and wait?

Ok...so we board Dec 8th on the Royal. We are traveling in a group of 10, 4 different families. We get the email this morning saying there is now progressive check in and people are supposed to come in groups. Well, we all have different times.....now what? Will they make us stand and wait?

They should let you all check in at the same time. It's good Princess is trying to take action as the check-in process for Royal can be a complete disaster and a horrible way to start a cruise depending on when you arrive. The terminal is just not big enough to handle all the traffic and people.

Good luck!

Ernie

Yea, I agree completely...I hope this works out some of the quirks they have been having. I just don't want the look that we are breaking rules when we all show up together. Either way, we will eventually get on and vacation started :). Just might be a wait to begin with! And Hey.......it's better than going to work, even if it's a line!!!!!!!

Yea, I agree completely...I hope this works out some of the quirks they have been having. I just don't want the look that we are breaking rules when we all show up together. Either way, we will eventually get on and vacation started :). Just might be a wait to begin with! And Hey.......it's better than going to work, even if it's a line!!!!!!!

I'm guessing it's more of a "recommendation", but if you actually all show up together I don't think there will be any problem. I don't think the intent of this new policy is to split up groups traveling together … but just a general concept to stagger out the boarding process a little.

Ernie

You should be able to check-in and board together but it sounds like they're anticipating very long lines and waits. Several people have reported huge crowds and back-ups at the pier with it taking as long as half an hour just to get from the security gate to the ship. So be prepared to sit in traffic or stand/sit around and wait in the terminal. Your best bet is to arrive there later, perhaps at 1:00-1:30pm.

You should be able to check-in and board together but it sounds like they're anticipating very long lines and waits. Several people have reported huge crowds and back-ups at the pier with it taking as long as half an hour just to get from the security gate to the ship. So be prepared to sit in traffic or stand/sit around and wait in the terminal. Your best bet is to arrive there later, perhaps at 1:00-1:30 pm.

Pam is correct: we boarded on the 10th. I arrived at the port by about 10:30 a.m. in a rental car and it was a mad house; took me close to 45 minutes just to make it around the "traffic circle" in front of the terminal and to the luggage drop-off point. I dropped my travelling companions and luggage off, returned the rental car and walked the few blocks back to the port. I arrived by 11:45, and the lines were insane. There was a regular check-in line, and a preferred check-in line (though you had to go all the way to the front to find out which was which), and both were nearly the same length. Then we discovered there was an Elite/Suite check-in line entering from the other side of the building (around a corner, so we couldn't see them.) The only way we discovered this was that the one "official" at the head of the line was stopping the Preferred check-in line to let all the Elite/Suite passengers in first. At this point, the non-preferred line was entering much more quickly than we in the preferred line. Many people in all lines were getting very annoyed. We have boarded in Ft. Lauderdale many, many times, at all different times of day, and we have NEVER experienced anything like that. If the staggered "suggested" boarding times work, more power to them. It couldn't possible be any worse than the "cattle call".

Oh, and to anticipate the usual gripes, no, it did NOT "ruin my cruise"; but it sure put a damper on the very beginning. Once I was aboard and had a Mojito in my hand, all was well, though. ;)

Edited by 5:00_Somewhere

This was also put in effect for the Christmas Cruise:

PROGRESSIVE CRUISE CHECK-IN INFORMATION

Embarkation for your cruise is from 12:30 pm until 3:00 pm. As many of our

guests are enthusiastic to join the ship, you may experience delays and longer

lines when trying to board before your scheduled time. For those passengers

with flexibility, the closer you arrive to your scheduled time, the shorter

your wait is likely to be. All those who arrive by 3:00 pm will be accommodated

and will not miss the ship. Passengers with a Preferred Boarding Pass,

transfer, and/or part of a group may check-in anytime during embarkation. Once

onboard enjoy a meal at the Horizon Court, which remains open throughout the

day to serve you. We look forward to welcoming you onboard.

12:30pm - Caribe & Riviera Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with C & R

1:00pm - Baja & Marina & Lido Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with B & M &

1:30pm - Dolphin & Emerald Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with D & E

2:00pm - Aloha Deck - Cabins on this deck begin with A

guests are enthusiastic to join the ship' date=' you may experience delays and longer

lines when trying to board before your scheduled time. [b']For those passengers[/b]

your wait is likely to be.

This implies that they are not going to strictly enforce the phased boarding, but they reserve the right to say "We told you so!" when you show up early and are confronted by a mob scene.

I have a question re the title of your post - " Progressive Check IN EMERGECNY email". What in your post is that time critical that it warrants the use of the word "EMERGECNY" and in caps no less? You are not leaving until Dec 8 - 2 weeks from now.

DON

I have a question re the title of your post - " Progressive Check IN EMERGECNY email". What in your post is that time critical that it warrants the use of the word "EMERGECNY" and in caps no less? You are not leaving until Dec 8 - 2 weeks from now.

DON

Don't blame the OP--its Princess that uses the term EMERGENCY far too liberally in its correspondence.

A few years ago I recieved a pre-cruise e-mail with EMERGENCY NOTIFICATON screaming at me from the subject line; the message was that Port Everglades has reassigned Star Princess to lovely scenic Pier 29 on my embarkation day. Would hate to see how they communicate genuinely urgent last minute news.

Edited by fishywood

; the message was that Port Everglades has reassigned Star Princess to lovely scenic Pier 29 on my embarkation day.

Berth 29 is why there is cancel for any reason insurance.

We once got an emergency notification from princess that

sometime in the future we might require a passport.

guests are enthusiastic to join the ship' date=' you may experience delays and longer

2:00pm - Aloha Deck - Cabins on this deck begin with A[/quote']

We are on the Christmas cruise and have not gotten this notice and I also looked on the website and didn't find it. Can you tell me where you found this info? Thanks!

DON

Yes....it was Princess that used the word EMERGENCY...just like that...ALL CAPS...Oh, AND BOLD...you might want to ask them!!!!! I though it was something serious also! When you find out an answer let me know!!!

We are on the Christmas cruise and have not gotten this notice and I also looked on the website and didn't find it. Can you tell me where you found this info? Thanks!

Information regarding boarding procedures shows up in the "Important Notices" section of your Cruise Personalizer. I typically get there in the following manner:

Log in to My Princess. Select your cruise. Select the "Itinerary" link on the upper right part of the page. Scroll down past the itinerary and you'll see the important notices.

I check these notices quite often as they can change without an e-mail coming from Princess to alert you.

Information regarding boarding procedures shows up in the "Important Notices" section of your Cruise Personalizer. I typically get there in the following manner:

Log in to My Princess. Select your cruise. Select the "Itinerary" link on the upper right part of the page. Scroll down past the itinerary and you'll see the important notices.

I check these notices quite often as they can change without an e-mail coming from Princess to alert you.

Thanks. I just did that and didn't see anything at all about progressive boarding. Wonder why some got it and some didn't? Anyway, I'm happy to go whenever they want me to. There will be eight ships in port that day, including the Allure and the Royal, so we'll be sure to bring our patience along!

Thanks. I just did that and didn't see anything at all about progressive boarding. Wonder why some got it and some didn't? Anyway, I'm happy to go whenever they want me to. There will be eight ships in port that day, including the Allure and the Royal, so we'll be sure to bring our patience along!

I know there are instances of different "Important Notices" sections when a sailing can be booked in multiple ways such as a B2B under a single booking. This is known as a "logical cruise", i.e. two sailings sold as one. Bookings for the logical cruise often have different notices than the two individual sailings. Sometimes it just seems to take a while for the staff at Princess to get everything updated too.

You'll need the patience for boarding. We tend to use our patience to avoid the port until later in the day when boarding is much less crowded. I'd rather have a pleasant boarding experience and miss the somehow ever-so-important embarkation lunch in the MDR rather than tear my hair out and be frazzled for the ever-so-important MDR lunch (which I don't really need anyway).

• 3 weeks later...

We are on Royal for the Christmas cruise. Just downloaded and printed the Travel Summary from MyPrincess: Under Important Notices I found,

guests are enthusiastic to join the ship, you may experience delays and longer

2:00pm - Aloha Deck - Cabins on this deck begin with A

But we are supposed to check out of our hotel at 11:00 AM, so we may just hang out at the hotel pool-side or something until our (1:00 PM) "check-in" time.

The key sentence is

"For those passengers with flexibility, the closer you arrive to your scheduled time, the shorter your wait is likely to be.

So if you do not want to hang around your hotel, just head to the port after checking out.