Are kids allowed to sail?

firstcruiseever

My children love to sail with us, and are very well behaved. I know there are no children's programs, but honestly we are a family that loves simple entertainment and spending time together. They love have formal dinners with us and have good manners. We have found that exposing them to different environments and travel experience helps round them and learn how to behave in different situations. I would love to take them on a Silversea cruise with us... Are children allowed? Also can you have four in one stateroom? Thanks!

The age limit is actually 6 months. Unless you are planning a voyage on the Spirit, probably during the summer Med season, its unlikely that you will travel with many (possibly no other) children. And there really is nothing for kids to do on the ships, and neither are the staff trained or have time to deal with young children.

The other issue is the likely guest make up, middle to older aged, will have had their kids and be happy not to be around other peoples.

You need to bear in mind, as pointed out, that depending on which itinerary you choose, there may be no other children at all on the sailing. The ambience on a Silversea ship is usually one of quiet, refined elegance.

Also, the verandah suites only accomodate 3 people. So you need to either get two interconnecting suites, with one adult and one child in each suite. Or you're looking at staying in the Royal Suite, for example, on Silver Spirit. This is going to be a very expensive cruise. Personally I'd wait until the kids were quite a lot older and they were old enough to appreciate what makes the Silversea experience so special.

Which ship and itinerary are you considering?

You need to bear in mind, as pointed out, that depending on which itinerary you choose, there may be no other children at all on the sailing. The ambience on a Silversea ship is usually one of quiet, refined elegance.

Also, the verandah suites only accomodate 3 people. So you need to either get two interconnecting suites, with one adult and one child in each suite. Or you're looking at staying in the Royal Suite, for example, on Silver Spirit. This is going to be a very expensive cruise. Personally I'd wait until the kids were quite a lot older and they were old enough to appreciate what makes the Silversea experience so special.

Which ship and itinerary are you considering?

Well honestly I had only dreamed of Silversea :) We did look at prices and itinerary for either a galapagos island cruise or the Silver Spirit to Belize, Cozumel and Costa Maya. The Galapagos cruise would be for the itinerary especially and the Belize would be for both the itinerary and the ship experience. It's probably just a dream honestly. I do know that we will be taking a Disney Cruise in the fall, but we are dreaming of Silversea as well.

Well honestly I had only dreamed of Silversea :) We did look at prices and itinerary for either a galapagos island cruise or the Silver Spirit to Belize, Cozumel and Costa Maya. The Galapagos cruise would be for the itinerary especially and the Belize would be for both the itinerary and the ship experience. It's probably just a dream honestly. I do know that we will be taking a Disney Cruise in the fall, but we are dreaming of Silversea as well.

There's nothing wrong with dreaming - I dreamed of Silversea for almost 20 years before I finally made it onto a SS ship :)

I was going to suggest Disney as a step up, assuming from your sig that Carnival is your experience so far, so its good to read that you are planning on that. I think you'll very much enjoy it.

There's nothing wrong with dreaming - I dreamed of Silversea for almost 20 years before I finally made it onto a SS ship :)

I was going to suggest Disney as a step up, assuming from your sig that Carnival is your experience so far, so its good to read that you are planning on that. I think you'll very much enjoy it.

Awesome. I am guessing you are recommending from experience? The thing were are excited most about the Disney cruise is the quality of the food and entertainment, the experience and helpfulness of the staff and the ships themselves :o So excited. That doesn't even compare though to how excited I would be to board a SS :D

Donor consider SS to the Galapagos at this time. Read the comments/reviews on these boards.

I'm thinking you meant "Do Not consider" If so, I'm guessing the cruise quality is poor? I did not read a review, so I will step over there today. I did see the fact that they some have had issues with laundry and such on their cruise?

With Galapogos the itinerary is much more relaxed from a formality point of view but appears to be go-go-go (so no downtime for the kids if they are tired.) As well, personally, I'd be terrified with all transfers from ship to zodiac and small kids. And when hearing about all the scrapes and broken bones and long hikes the adults experienced I think your kids would have to be experienced long-hikers to be able to enjoy the trip fully as it might be too physical for them. In 5 - 8 years it might be perfect but that's a lot to spend on something they probably won't remember.

If you want the SS experience, I'd start with Alaska since the ports are so interesting and you'd be able to easily book excursions that are age appropriate through on-shore tour operations (not SS).

We were on a cruise with a toddler and the crew were wonderful. Most miss their own children and doted on this little one. It was fun to see how the staff would light up when she came in the room (as opposed to the fellow cruisers who weren't at all happy to see a baby on the cruise.) So don't think the crew will be unhappy to see children, but there is little they can do to help make the trip special for the kids because SS isn't that sort of cruise line so there is nothing to support little ones - no toys, no colouring sheets, no places where they can be kids instead of mini-adults.

With Galapogos the itinerary is much more relaxed from a formality point of view but appears to be go-go-go (so no downtime for the kids if they are tired.) As well, personally, I'd be terrified with all transfers from ship to zodiac and small kids. And when hearing about all the scrapes and broken bones and long hikes the adults experienced I think your kids would have to be experienced long-hikers to be able to enjoy the trip fully as it might be too physical for them. In 5 - 8 years it might be perfect but that's a lot to spend on something they probably won't remember.

If you want the SS experience, I'd start with Alaska since the ports are so interesting and you'd be able to easily book excursions that are age appropriate through on-shore tour operations (not SS).

We were on a cruise with a toddler and the crew were wonderful. Most miss their own children and doted on this little one. It was fun to see how the staff would light up when she came in the room (as opposed to the fellow cruisers who weren't at all happy to see a baby on the cruise.) So don't think the crew will be unhappy to see children, but there is little they can do to help make the trip special for the kids because SS isn't that sort of cruise line so there is nothing to support little ones - no toys, no colouring sheets, no places where they can be kids instead of mini-adults.

Awesome information! Thank you very much. Alaska sounds awesome. We have a HUGE bucket list of places we want to visit, so Alaska sounds like a good place to start! You know, the crew was like that on Carnival with our kids as well, the doting part anyhow. They just lit up when the kids came in the room. They went out of their way to make the kids happy. They loved talking to them. Anywhere we went the crew would make faces at the kids, comment on how cute they were, say hello or do something special. Our head waitress in the main dining room made a little bunny out of a cloth for our little girl and a little mouse for my son. They LOVED it. Actually when we left both kids gave her a hug :)

They are definitely too you for one of the expedition ships. Getting in and out of zodiacs is a risky business, ESP if seas are rough. We did an expedition cruise when our youngest son was eight (not on silversea), and he loved it, but he was definitely the youngest onboard. And he was used to going on very long hikes, eating meals with adults and not complaining about the food, etc.

My son's first cruise was at age 8 on The World. It was a European itinerary and quite frankly I think your money could be better spent waiting until your kid's will have a better memory of the experience. Age 8 was ideal for my son. He kept a journal, took photos and had more stamina to see the sights. A Disney Caribbean cruise could be perfect for your younger children as they have lot's of kids' programs so that the adults can have some relaxation, too.

Cost/benefit points away from Silversea since you don't want to be on edge the whole time you are on the ship, worrying about the children's safety and constantly having to be prepared to amuse them, keep them quiet, etc.

I'm sure you can manage that just fine and the children would also have a good trip, but what is the benefit to you?

On a more family friendly cruise line, you will still have to be on alert for safety but so many of the other worries will disapper:

* the kids will have a chance to make new friends (one of the best parts of traveling)

* you'll have a chance to pal around with other families with similar interests to you (we live in a small village so this is important to us)

* if your kids want to spend an afternoon in a children's program, you can spend an afternoon just enjoying the ship, your spouse, and breathe (something parents don't often get time to do, and an important part of a vacation.)

I've never met anyone IRL (as opposed to internet forums where people come to whine) who hasn't had great things to say about Disney. My daughter's friends live in a port city and have taken 2 cruises so far and their oldest is just 5.

Cost/benefit points away from Silversea since you don't want to be on edge the whole time you are on the ship, worrying about the children's safety and constantly having to be prepared to amuse them, keep them quiet, etc.

I'm sure you can manage that just fine and the children would also have a good trip, but what is the benefit to you?

On a more family friendly cruise line, you will still have to be on alert for safety but so many of the other worries will disapper:

* the kids will have a chance to make new friends (one of the best parts of traveling)

* you'll have a chance to pal around with other families with similar interests to you (we live in a small village so this is important to us)

* if your kids want to spend an afternoon in a children's program, you can spend an afternoon just enjoying the ship, your spouse, and breathe (something parents don't often get time to do, and an important part of a vacation.)

I've never met anyone IRL (as opposed to internet forums where people come to whine) who hasn't had great things to say about Disney. My daughter's friends live in a port city and have taken 2 cruises so far and their oldest is just 5.

Our next cruise will be Disney :D

You and your kids will love Disney. We have been on 10 DCL cruises with and without small children and loved them all. It is a great way to begin the small ones on cruising. Also so much to do for the kids and plenty for adults too.We took out granddaughter at age 12 on a Regent ship to Alaska and it was great. I doubt I would even bring her on SS. I think she would be bored.

Edited by ppiew

You and your kids will love Disney. We have been on 10 DCL cruises with and without small children and loved them all. It is a great way to begin the small ones on cruising. Also so much to do for the kids and plenty for adults too.We took out granddaughter at age 12 on a Regent ship to Alaska and it was great. I doubt I would even bring her on SS. I think she would be bored.

More likely than not our kids will be older when we are able to set up a SS cruise. So that should be okay.. I am excited to go someday!!!