Think you have privacy in your cabin? - THINK AGAIN

TheSavvyTraveler

OP states that they did not put the "privacy sign" out .

Incident would not have occurred and this posting wouldn't exist .

If only it were that simple. I have had hotel employees come into my room when the DND sign was hung on the door or left in the slot. Many times people will put the sign out the night before and then forget to remove it when they leave for the morning. The DND sign in the slot during normal sleeping hours is pretty safe. But if you use it at an "odd" mid-day hour, there is every chance that the person seeking to gain entry will assume that you simply forgot to remove it when you left the room. All things considered, a piece of plastic/cardboard on the outside of the door might indicate that someone is in the room. Closing off the deadbolt from the inside guarantees that someone is in the room because the deadbolt could not be engaged otherwise. So if you are a person on the outside wondering if it is OK to enter the room, the piece of paper is far less a telltale sign than the use of the deadbolt. And as others have mentioned, using the DND sign as a fail-safe can be compromised by the mischevious.

What really concerns me is the steward's insistence that the Patters be left inside the room instead of the Plexiglas slot outside the room. And if there was any doubt, the engagement of the deadbolt should have been a sure fire sign that he should have gone to Plan B and left it outside or slid it under the door. I fully appreciate that master keys are needed to override the deadbolt in case of an emergency. But this wasn't an emergency. Just because one has the wherewithal to get in the room doesn't mean that one should, especially for the non-emergent purpose of dropping off a daily itinerary. I am really amazed that the Hotel Manager was not more concerned about this.

Edited by JimmyVWine

If putting the Patters in the room is a requirement, I've had a lot of stewards who don't follow the rules. Over the years, I think they've been in the mailbox more often than not, and that's what I prefer. If the steward is turning down the room and he leaves the Patter at that time, that's fine. Otherwise I'm fine with it in the box.

We always put the DND sign out before we go to bed, but I'll have to remember to use it in the daytime if we don't want to be disturbed.

I always thought the deadbolt in a hotel or on the cruise meant no one could come in. Actually' date=' this really concerns me. What is the point of even having a deadbolt if it is overridden by the staff? [/quote']I have the same concern. It's useless. Might as well not even have the lock placed.

I guess it's a good idea always to wear underwear!
Not so easy if you're enjoying yourselves on a honeymoon...

Maybe one of those security bars would be a good item to pack in your suitcase to sleep easy.

I'm surprised too....... the Patter is not a necessity! It could have been that the attendant was 'new' and trying to do everything 'right' or there could be a different motive. It would help if the cruise line spelled out what they wanted, what they do, and what passengers can or can't do. We have put the service card on the door, at other times we haven't when it seems there's a rhythm to the process and consistency in servicing our cabin after a few days at sea. Privacy is a big issue for everyone, as it should be..........we'll see what happens on our next cruise now that we have this info! :confused:

Hey those wedges for doors is a great solution! Thanks for mentioning that.......

Edited by thyme2go

I do know that having a "Just Married" sign on your door with a do not disturb sign only invites problems from kids/teenagers! :eek:

Those signs are worthless if you are on a ship with kids/teenagers that are unsupervised (whether you have a sign for celebration on your door or not).

Edited by Love.II.Cruise

I'm surprised too....... the Patter is not a necessity! It could have been that the attendant was 'new' and trying to do everything 'right' or there could be a different motive.....

I have been on some cruises where the Patter is always left inside on the bed, some where it is just placed under the door and thus found on the floor, and others where it is left in the basket outside the cabin.

I do not know if this is ship based or individual stewards' choice.

A couple of years ago, we had the same problem. On the first day, we were exhausted. We had been on the ship numerous times, so we had no need to tour the ship. (CB out of San Juan) We had already met the room steward and had unpacked our things. We decided to "take a nap";). We put the "do not disturb" sign in the door and turned the deadbolt. Not long after, the door opened and the room steward had the sign in his hand! He said, "Did you mean to put this in the door already!!!"? I do not think he understood what the sign meant. It happened over and over all week! Crazy.

Janet

This rule must have been made by a man. If I was naked in my cabin after showering, I would be mortified and terrified to have someone enter my room when the deadbolt is secured.

I don't think sexist remarks have any merit in this conversation. Even if the rule was made by a man, it's interesting that the person mentioned as enforcing it in the original post is a woman.

I'm with Pam...use the privacy tag. It's simple to do. If the ability to get past the deadbolt saves one life, it's worth the rest of you being embarrassed. And if you're suggesting that you avoid entry with wedges or security bars, you might want to think twice about what might happen to you in an emergency.

Edited by bdjam

One lady a few cabins down from us (but with a different cabin attendant) had a crew member enter on two different days, and was mostly undressed each time.

So, it didn't occur to her after the first incident to make

use of the do-not-disturb sign?

I don't think sexist remarks have any merit in this conversation. Even if the rule was made by a man, it's interesting that the person mentioned as enforcing it in the original post is a woman.

I'm with Pam...use the privacy tag. It's simple to do. If the ability to get past the deadbolt saves one life, it's worth the rest of you being embarrassed. And if you're suggesting that you avoid entry with wedges or security bars, you might want to think twice about what might happen to you in an emergency.

I'm not going to enjoy wondering who will walk in for a myriad of things far less than an emergency, while I cruise. And I'd like to see how many people have been 'saved' by unlocking deadbolts. Yes, having a master key is fine, but using it for daily routines should NOT be standard operating procedure.

Agree Brian....but you will still have some who won't or can't see the importance of putting that "privacy tag" in their door! Never have I had a steward enter if the sign was out!

Just thinking out loud a bit here, so bear with me. Alarm systems that you can install in your home allow you to lock doors, adjust your thermostat, and turn lights off and on from your smartphone. And that's not exactly new technology.

Every crew member does not need an all-access master key, each and every day. I should have a reasonable expectation of privacy in my cabin, with or without a privacy sign on the door.

I understand how upset the OP felt. We had a similar incident on our last Princess cruise. Just putting up the Privacy Please sign is a less than perfect solution. The CS gives one quick knock or does not knock at all then walks right in, not giving you time to respond. There is no respect for privacy. They should not do that and Princess creates a culture of tolerance for that behavior . Those of you who think this is the answer has not had this intrusion on your privacy, YET.

Everyone who says this is "no big deal" and to just put out the 'Privacy Please' sign... do you even read other cruiser's experiences? More than one person can attest to the fact that the sign does not work in this thread alone. Even one person being subjected to that is unacceptable, but this happening to so many people makes me a bit uneasy. Seems like it is a trend that I won't accept.

I will definitely be securing my door with more than the useless deadbolt. Security bar and the door stop wedge are some options. Anyone use anything else?

Sounds like a very rude response from the management on that ship. I understand that the stewards have to clean the twice a day but if the deadbolt is on then it should not be unlocked unless it's deemed to be an emergency, not just a patter delivery that could be put in the mailbox. Only security should have those keys. The do not disturb sign is fine, until it's stolen. And before anyone says "it was the teenagers" I didn't even see one teenager on my last cruise. When I asked for a new sign I was told that they disappear often. Who are these people taking the signs? Are they bringing them home to put on their fridge? Maybe contact corporate to get a better response because obviously the "customer service director" wasn't interested in helping.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I will definitely be securing my door with more than the useless deadbolt. Security bar and the door stop wedge are some options. Anyone use anything else?

I pray you never create a "Code Alpha" situation. The delay while they break down your door could mean life or death.

[bTW I'm not condoning the Princess policy here. It does seem that passengers should be able to have a reasonable expectation of privacy. But achieving the way you suggest could put you in harm's way.]

Edited by jazzbeau

I was just on Divina, and it is one of the newer ships that you have to put your key card (or any other card) in the slot inside the door to activate the lights in the cabin. Of course, I put another card in the slot, and left it there when we left the cabin. Well, when we returned, the cabin attendant explained that she had taken the card out. When there is a card in the slot, it turns on a little light above the left corner of the door, indicating that someone is in the cabin. When the light is not on, it signals that the cabin is empty. Very handy, to my way of thinking. EM

That stated the PRIVACY card should be put outside the cabin.That is why that card is available in all cabins.

My cabin steward told me that they started putting patters in the cabins because passengers had complained they had not been delivered to their cabins.

Folks had walked by and taken them.

If one told their cabin steward to always leave the patter outside the cabin I am certain they would.:)

Those who keep bringing up the Privacy cards are missing the point. Stewards CAN and apparently WILL walk in on you with little or no notice. Personally, I am not ok with this! And yeah, I get it... it's for my safety. But the experiences shared in this thread have NOT been instances of emergency, and sometimes occurred even with the Privacy card in place. I'm fine with officers and even my steward having the ability to enter my room. But I'm NOT fine with being walked in on while I'm sleeping, showering, or just sitting around.... when I've taken ANY step to suggest that I wish for privacy, and that includes setting the dead bolt. I too will start bringing a wedge or some kind of device to help deter the unwanted entry. I realize this may put me at risk in the event of an emergency - worth it to me. I don't travel alone and any time I'd use a wedge would be when both of us are IN the room already as I wouldn't intentionally lock my travel companion out, so I'll have assistance if I encounter a medical situation.

I'm glad this was mentioned, thank you, OP. Definitely good to know, and clearly it's not just one persons account.

I guess i am glad to know of the power of the Privacy hangtag. But I am frankly horrified that regular staff (as opposed to Security) can override a deadbolt. That certainly does not happen with Housekeeping in any land-based hotel I have ever encountered.