Elevator Etiquette

eruss

Aside from the pushing and shoving? Or are you referring to getting onto a car when a kid just got off and every floor button was pushed?

Yeah, they irk me, but its a small price to pay for a week in paradise.

I'm never in a hurry on a cruise ship. :)

No it's not just you. There are some that have absolutely no manners when it comes to the use of elevators.

True, and these rude people can be young, old , male , female, of any race or religion. They can appear to be well off financially or maybe not doing quite as well. Of course, there are many people from these same demographics that are extremely polite. You never know.

The two that I see on every cruise are:

1- Rush in before letting others off.

2-Leaning against the up and down buttons, so that the people getting on can't reach them.

I suppose that there are many that do not use elevators often.

True story. We were on an elevator with 3 other couples. Stops at mid level deck and door opens. Lady sticks her head in and asks if we were going up. I replied no, sorry, we are going forward.

She steps back, door closes and other guys start the hold back the laugh sounds.

What fun.

DDWW

Edited by DDWW

I hate the people that don't move to the back to let extra people in. If I get in, I always try move as far to the back as I can. Our recent cruise, this couple were standing right in the middle. We get to a floor with a lady in a scooter that needed to get in. Plenty of room if people just moved back. But nope, this couple continued to stand right in the middle and just looked at the lady. Even her edging in and clearly not being able to fit got them to move. In the end I tapped one of them on the shoulder and politely asked them to move back so the lady could fit. I got eyerolls but they moved.

Then when it came to get out rather than waiting for the scooter they a a actually climbed OVER the poor woman to get out first :(

Is it me or are some people just plain ole rude when it comes to getting on and off elevators?

not just you and not just limited to cruise ships.. the elevators at a few of the Major Metro stops in DC are worse. esp the ones on the Mall. and those puppies are tiny.

For the first time in years we met more rude people on the elevators than we have seen before.

One example -- a woman pushed right onto the elevator without waiting for anyone to get off. I use a walker and had to ask her to kindly move back out of the elevator so that me and my walker could get off. She gave me a nasty look!!

I hate the people that don't move to the back to let extra people in. If I get in, I always try move as far to the back as I can. Our recent cruise, this couple were standing right in the middle. We get to a floor with a lady in a scooter that needed to get in. Plenty of room if people just moved back. But nope, this couple continued to stand right in the middle and just looked at the lady. Even her edging in and clearly not being able to fit got them to move. In the end I tapped one of them on the shoulder and politely asked them to move back so the lady could fit. I got eyerolls but they moved.

Then when it came to get out rather than waiting for the scooter they a a actually climbed OVER the poor woman to get out first :(

Sometimes I think there are people who should never leave home until they learn basic manners. :eek:

Hmmm... a lot of these answers are reminiscent of riding the T in Boston ;)

I try to take the stairs as much as possible when I'm on a cruise. It helps to keep the weight off since I'm justifying having extra desserts at lunch and dinner :D.

Boorish behavior is not restricted to elevators. Sadly the "it's my vacation" attitude seems to let very many people act like swine. I cannot believe that so many would act that way in their home towns where they are known - they would tend to learn to adjust their ways when among people who got tired of their behavior --- but on ships, they seem to feel that there are no rules. My experience interacting with people in the small town where I live is that there is a lot more courtesy shown strangers in stores, etc. than there is on ships.

What about when you are on the elevator and the door opens and the people who pushed the button for their floor stand there with the door wondering if they should get off while the door is now shutting.

I think think bad behavior is mainly because everyone knows the door is closing soon and we have a tiny bit of fear that if we stick our arm on that door that's closing it might NOT stop and reverse and close on us. I know for me, for some reason, I have that fear as irrational as it is.