ignoring passenger safety

larbas

i first wrote in feb and then in sept. both times they showed uncaringness for my well being.other cruise lines i went on showed deep concern for the passenger. they stressed good will.

MR.ALAN Buckelew PRESIDENT AND CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER

PRINCESS CRUISES 9/15/13

I REGRET THAT I HAVE TO ADD TO THE CARNIVAL CORP. PROBLEMS. AFTER GREAT CONSIDERATION, I FEEL THAT I MUST PURSUE THIS TROUBLING MATTER. AROUND THE END OF FEBRUARY I SPOKE TO LAURA Messer FROM CUSTOMER RELATIONS (VERY NICE) WHO SAID THAT SINCE I WAS CREDITED BACK FOR THE EXCURSION, THERE’S NOTHING SHE CAN DO. SHE SAID I SHOULD FOLLOW UP WITH YOUR OFFICE WHICH I AM NOW DOING, SINCE I AM NOT SATISFIED WITH HER DECISION. HOPEFULLY, YOU WILL COME TO A MORE AMENABLE DECISION. I WAS VERY STRESSED THE LAST 3 DAYS DUE TO THIS HAPPENING.I FEEL THAT I SHOULD BE COMPENSATED FOR THOSE DAYS. CARNIVAL CORP. HAS BEEN STRESSING “PASSENGER SAFETY “. THIS WAS DEFINITELY NOT THE CASE WITH ME. FOLLOWING IS THE LETTER I PREVIOUSLY SENT TO CUSTOMER SERVICE.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING.

SINCERELY

LAWRENCE B

PRINCESS CRUISE LINE 2/28/2013

WE HAD A WONDERFUL TIME ON THE ISLAND PRINCESS PANAMA CANAL CRUISE FROM 2/6-2/16/2012.THE STAFF WAS EXCELLENT, THE FOOD WAS VERY GOOD, THE ENTERTAINMENT WAS FABULOUS AND THE SHIP WAS KEPT VERY CLEAN. WE WERE SO SATISFIED, THAT OTHER PEOPLE WITH US AND US SIGNED UP FOR FUTURE CRUISES. THEREFORE, I RATE PRINCESS A “10”.

I COMPLETED THE ONLINE SURVEY AND NOTED IN COMMENTS MY VERY BAD EXCURSION OUTING. SINCE 2/17 I HAVEN’T RECEIVED ANY RESPONSE. I AM VERY SURPRISED; ESPECIALLY SINCE THE CRUISE WAS OPERATED VERY EFFICIENTLY .HERE’S THE PROBLEM.

UNDER CRUISE Personalizer: WHY CHOOSE PRINCESS SHORE EXCURSIONS? IT STATES: SAFETY - YOUR SECURITY AND SAFETY ARE OF PARAMOUNT IMPORTANCE AND WE CLOSELY MONITOR OUR TOUR OPERATORS TO ENSURE THEY OPERATE SAFELY, ETC. APPARENTLY; SOMEONE DIDN’T READ THIS AND GOOFED UP.

I SIGNED UP FOR THE SNORKELING AND STING-RAY EXCURSION. SAFETY AND SECURITY WAS COMPLETELY NOT EVIDENT. THE DESCRIPTION STATED THAT IT IS ALSO FOR NOVICES OF WHICH I AM ONE. THE ONLY INSTRUCTION WAS TO STAY IN AN AREA. FOLLOWING WERE THE PROBLEMS I INCURRED.

I WAS JUST ABOUT TO PUT THE SNORKEL IN MY MOUTH WHEN MY BROTHER-IN-LAW STOPPED ME. HE SAID THAT IT’S IN BLEACH AND I SHOULD WASH IT OFF. NO INSTRUCTIONS. I COULD HAVE INJURED MY THROAT.

I FINALLY MANAGED TO GO INTO THE WATER WHICH WAS VERY CHOPPY. SOMEONE (NOT THE GUIDE) TOLD SOME OF US TO GO BACK AND PUT ON A LIFE JACKET WHICH I DID .I WENT BACK IN AND SWALLOWED A LOT OF WATER. (NO INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO USE SNORKEL).I STARTED TO HAVE A PANIC ATTACK AND FINALLY GRABBED THE ANCHOR CABLE. THE GUIDE ASKED IF I WAS IN TROUBLE-I NODDED YES. HE THEN ASKED IF I NEEDED HELP GETTING OUT (VERY OBVIOUS). I NODDED YES. HE HELPED ME UP AND ON BOARD. IT WAS A VERY TERRIFYING EXPERIENCE. I WAS SHAKEN UP FOR QUITE AWHILE.

LATER WE WENT TO THE STING-RAY AREA. THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE WHERE YOU COULD STAND ON A SAND BARGE AND THE WATER ABOUT WAIST HIGH. THE GUIDE INSTEAD WENT TO AN AREA WHERE YOU HAD TO PUT THE SNORKEL GEAR ON AGAIN. IF I COULDN’T DO IT THE FIRST TIME, THEN I COULDN’T DO IT THIS TIME.

AS YOU CAN TELL BY NOW, THE EXCURSION WAS DEFINITELY MISREPRESENTED. I COULD SWIM, BUT NOT IN THE VERY CHOPPY OCEAN. I DEFINITELY WOULDN’T HAVE CHOSEN THAT EXCURSION.

I COMPLAINED TO THE EXCURSION DESK. AFTER CHECKING IT OUT THEY GAVE ME HALVE CREDIT. I WAS NOT SATISFIED AND SPOKE TO THE MGR. SHE WAS VERY UNDERSTANDING AND CHECKED FURTHER. LATER, SHE STATED THAT THE GUIDE DECIDED NOT TO GO TO THE SAND BARGE. SHE CREDITED MY ACCOUNT FOR THE BALANCE. I DIDN’T WANT TO MAKE A BIG DEAL OUT OF THIS BECAUSE EVERYONE WAS SO NICE.

AFTER RELIVING THAT HORRIFIC EXPERIENCE SEVERAL TIMES SINCE BEING HOME, I FEEL THAT I MUST MAKE PRINCESS AWARE OF THIS MATTER. THE EXCURSION SECTION IS AWARE OF THIS AND ADMITTED THEIR ERROR FOR SAFETY WHEN THEY CREDITED MY ACCOUNT.

WE HAVE TRAVELED ON CARNIVAL AND NOW PRINCESS. I TRY TO BE LOYAL AND WANT TO BE LOYAL TO WHERE I AM APPRECIATED. I WOULD WANT TO KEEP THIS MATTER BETWEEN YOU AND ME AND NOT PURSUE IT ANY FURTHER. I TRUST THAT PRINCESS WILL MAKE A DECISION SATISFACTORY TO US BOTH.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING AND COOPERATION.

SINCERELY,

LAWRENCE B

I think it was very generous of Princess to credit the entire tour cost back. I would be greatful for that. I can not believe how sue happy people are and it seems like so many people want something for nothing. I also wanted to say that it would be pretty hard for Princess to control the ocean and choppy waters. I just don't get it.

i believe their information was misleading.

I'm not entirely sure on what you were expecting. Princess has no control over the weather, and they certainly have no control over choppy seas. The sand bar might not have been available due to tides. Remember that the descriptions are generalizations and not what everyone might experience.

Snorkeling is not easy, and you should be a strong swimmer in my opinion to do it.

The fact that Princess fully refunded you for an excursion that you chose is enough in my opinion. Sounds like the cruise you experienced was fine and the excursion was the only hiccup.

BTW their terms and conditions for all the shore excursions are quite explicit that the tour operators are independent contractors and not operated by Princess as follows:

"In selling tickets (including coupons or vouchers) or otherwise promoting or making arrangements for Excursions– whether for air, land or local water transportation; tours; sports or any other recreational activities; shore accommodations or meals or for any service, facility or activity other than onboard Princess’ cruise ships – Princess acts only as agent for the independent tour operator supplying such excursions or services. Participation by a passenger in Excursions is conditioned upon such passenger’s acceptance of the terms and conditions set forth in the Passage Contract contained in the Cruise Ticket, the Excursion Ticket and, depending on the activity, other documents which, among other things, expressly release Princess from any liability for such participation. Participation may also be subject to the independent tour operators’ own terms and conditions."

I wouldn't expect a reply or any further compensation from them at this point.

I don't know the OP or what their skill level is.... BUT, ultimately each of us has to be able to say no, ask for help, or ask questions when we are in situations that are new or scary whether it's an excursion or anything else in life. "Prudence is the better part of valor." You got your money back, other's didn't have the same experience that you did......and you want to deprive them of this experience?.....Or you just 'want more' than what you paid................:rolleyes:

Just read the post (pretty painful experience. The post, not the excursion) and have few thoughts.

Any sport-related activity carries some degree of risk. You are always reminded of it before taking part in any activity. Every activity you take also explains what you should expect and shape/comfort level you need for that activity.

Few years back, me and my better half went to try scuba diving. I loved it. She couldn't perform basic exercises. She felt really uncomfortable when she could not touch water with her feet and had a bit of a gag reflex with regulator. Did I ask for a refund? No. It was not operator's fault she could not complete the activity.

Now, let's look at your complaints.

- Sea was choppy. Ok, were you promised calm seas? Was the cruise company making waves with evil laugh, pointing waves at "that guy" or something? Also, were you not aware of choppy sea when you, you know, looked at it?

- Nobody explained how to use a snorkel. You breathe into it and out. Do you have someone explain you how to wear your seat belt in a car? I do agree that they should have shown you how to do a snorkel clear. Unless it was a dry-valve type.

- Bleach on a snorkel. While it is negligent, I've yet to see anyone stuff a snorkel in their mouth without rinsing it first.

- Not going to sandbar. Most tour operators reserve the right to cancel/modify tour for whatever reason they see fit. It could be for safety, or maybe that day there was nothing to see and sandbar.

I can see that the reason you got a full refund from cruise company is only because they wanted to make the customer happy. But I see zero fault of the cruise company. Somewhat sloppy operator, maybe. And only when it's in regards to bleach.

I would say that you should be thankful for getting a refund. Trying to squeeze anything else from the cruiseline is same as a fat person blaming McDonalds for making them fat after they ate there for 10 years.

I WOULD WANT TO KEEP THIS MATTER BETWEEN YOU AND ME AND NOT PURSUE IT ANY FURTHER. I TRUST THAT PRINCESS WILL MAKE A DECISION SATISFACTORY TO US BOTH.

Then why did you post this information on Cruise Critic?

I personally do not see where Princess owes you anything.

J

- Bleach on a snorkel. While it is negligent, I've yet to see anyone stuff a snorkel in their mouth without rinsing it first.

Somewhat sloppy operator, maybe. And only when it's in regards to bleach.

I'm not even sure about OP's bleach issue. We snorkel on cruises almost every chance we get. Yes, the good tour operators soak their snorkels in a DILUTED (sorry for the caps, I know we're all sensitive now) bleach solution. These diluted solutions aren't much stronger than you'll get in a swimming pool. Just because OP's brother-in-law said it was bleach doesn't mean it was full strength. It probably wasn't dangerous.

My question is why would someone go on a snorkelling excursion if they have never snorkelled? If the OP had snorkelled before he should have known that he would have problems in choppy water. I am OK snorkelling from the beach but I am nervous in open water. Therefore, I would not do an excursion with open water snorkelling. As others have said, receiving a refund for the excursion is more than what Princess was required to do.

3 days free for emotional stress would be fair.

Honestly. You're not a strong swimmer and have never snorkled. There's a bit to the technique, to be sure and it's unfortunate that that the excursion operators did not offer the experience they advertised. Princess refunded the cost of the excursion. It looks like you're trawling for things you're not due.

Nice try, though.