An open letter to Celebrity management about the loyalty program changes

sloopsailor

Dear Celebrity Management,

You have tried to improve the loyalty program by converting to a daily points award system based on category of stateroom. You have also added two additional membership categories for people who have sailed with you many times more that the highest category recognizes. Both of these were obvious attempts to improve the program, and to better reward your most frequent customers.

May I offer you some advice? Dump the loyalty program entirely and forget about rewarding these people. It is clear that no matter what you do, hoards of people on these forums will come out screaming about how bad the program changes are. These people are not loyal customers. These people only have an entitlement value system. They are not your friends, and certainly not loyal. Instead, they are greedy, hands stretched moochers who want as much as they can get for free for the simple act of choosing to cruise on your ships. A reasonable person would think that they choose Celebrity because they like the product you deliver, or that you have the itineraries they like, or your departure ports are convenient for them. But, from the complaining, grousing, bitching, and outright anger these people are posting since the changes, you would think the only thing they value is what the can get from you for free.

This is hardly "loyalty". For them it is a one way street. You give to them, but they would never consider giving back by practicing the simple act of graciousness in accepting the changes you have made, which are obviously intended to makes the program better.

Give up trying to satisfy these people. They will never be happy. It is all about them. It is all about entitlement. Cancel the program and let these whiners make their decisions solely on the quality of your product instead of how much free stuff they can get out of you. They do not deserve to be rewarded in any way.

Just in case you are wondering - Yes, I am a Captain's Club member. However, I am only Select. I choose your ships because of the product you provide - not the loyalty perks you offer. If you offered none, it would make zero difference in choosing to cruise with you. It's the product that matters to me.

Keep up the good work. And we'll see you on our next cruise!

Edited by sloopsailor

Well said, and excellent points.

That being said, I hope that Celebrity doesn't listen. I think - and more importantly I believe Celebrity realizes - that the VAST majority of their customers are not the ones who first complained the program is not good enough, then complained that the changes didn't make it good enough, and then complained that they will now take too long to get to the stuff that isn't acceptable anyhow. I believe most of us recognize the difference between a gift and and right. The Captain's Club program is a lovely gift, one most of us appreciate very much. Had Celebrity amended the program by eliminating it, I would be disappointed, but would continue to book on Celebrity. Their ships, and most importantly the people (crew and my fellow passengers) are what keep us coming back.

I do have to wonder how the crew members think of us when they hear and see this behavior while their families are recovering from a typhoon.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Harris

Denver, CO

Edited by omeinv

The number of negative posts IMHO is outweighed by the number of positive posts. Celebrity is dealing with MILLIONS of customers and they got it right.

The loyalty program works and that is why Celebrity and other lines have the programs. The cruising public eats this stuff up. It is the "cocaine" of the cruise industry.

Celebrity's product is the whole package, and that includes the perks.

I listen to the negativity that some people express, but I refuse to let it ruin the experience for me and hopefully for the masses.

BILL:)

Edited by BILL-WI

For those who think they are loyal and don't need or want the benefits that Celebrity is offering, don't accept them and don't use them. Turn them down any/every time they are offered.

Now take that to the bank and enjoy it. LOL

I am also Select. I really don't care if I get any perks or not. Of course I'll accept them if offered. But I won't complain if they aren't, and certainly don't plan my cruises around the quest to earn more. There is a huge difference in attitude between this view and the views of some people on these boards. Just look at some of the thread titles for a few examples. There are two that boggles the mind: "Captain's Club is a Rip" started by cruisingourmet, and "The 1-2-3 Promo is a con!" started by kevinyork. Two sorry examples of the overblown sense of entitlement some people have.

Edited by boogs

The number of negative posts IMHO is outweighed by the number of positive posts. Celebrity is dealing with MILLIONS of customers and they got it right.

The loyalty program works and that is why Celebrity and other lines have the programs. The cruising public eats this stuff up. It is the "cocaine" of the cruise industry.

Celebrity's product is the whole package, and that includes the perks.

I listen to the negativity that some people express, but I refuse to let it ruin the experience for me and hopefully for the masses.

BILL:)

Precisely Bill..well said.

Dear Celebrity Management:

Thanks for the Captain's Club program. I appreciate the perks.

I suggest you ignore the complainers. First of all, they aren't very many, the few just keep posting again and again and again about how Celebrity done them wrong and they should get their points before they even take their cruises.

My guess is that the vast majority of Captain's Club members appreciate the program.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Even though they won't admit it I think what has ticked off some of these people are not the perks but the fact that Celebrity created two additional tiers. With the old program they were Elite and top dog. Now many are still Elite or Elite Plus with the top star being much harder to reach and they can no longer crow and strut around expressing their Elite status as top dog.

Many of these same people were the ones calling for a change. They got their wish. Sometimes one has to be careful what you wish for.;)

Edited by cruisingator2

Even though they won't admit it I think what has ticked off some of these people are not the perks but the fact that Celebrity created two additional tiers. With the old program they were Elite and top dog. Now many are still Elite or Elite Plus with the top star being much harder to reach and they can no longer crow and strut around expressing their Elite status as top dog.

Many of these same people were the ones calling for a change. They got their wish. Sometimes one has to be careful what you wish for.;)

Bingo - give this poster a cigar.

I loved the post where the poster said they weren't cruising Celebrity anymore, because they feel they are a third class (they were first class when Elite was the top tier, now they are Elite and it is third from the top) customer. LOL! Not only that, but it is now harder for them to reach the next level, something they wanted for others, but now they are in the same position with everyone. It is a totally equal playing field now thanks to Celebrity's changes. At least now we won't have to read all of their posts saying it is too easy for others to make Elite.

Bingo - give this poster a cigar.

I see what's goin' on here... wanting to give out even MORE free perks for CC posts "loyal" to Celebrity...

I will NOT stand for this second class treatment! :eek:

I *D*E*M*A*N*D* MY free cigar too! I have been a loyal Celebrity poster and I think its is COMPLETELY unfair to give a cigar to one poster and not another. ;) At LEAST give out some Cigar equalization points!!!

I am going to write a letter to my congressperson and DEMAND equal treatment when it comes to handing out cigars! :p

A FAIR program would have allowed ALL posters an EQUAL opportunity to compete for those cigars.

I am going to call my lawyer and start a class action suit against the perpetrators of this ill conceived, poorly executed, unfair and most likely ILLEGAL scheme for the preferential handing out of cigars. :rolleyes:

Edited by teecee60

I see what's goin' on here... wanting to give out even MORE free perks for CC posts "loyal" to Celebrity...

I will NOT stand for this second class treatment! :eek:

I *D*E*M*A*N*D* MY free cigar too! I have been a loyal Celebrity poster and I think its is COMPLETELY unfair to give a cigar to one poster and not another. ;)

I am going to write a letter to my congressperson and DEMAND equal treatment when it comes to handing out cigars! :p

I am going to call my lawyer and start a class action suit against the perpetrators of this ill conceived, poorly executed, unfair and most likely ILLEGAL scheme for the preferential handing out of cigars. :rolleyes:

Goodness gracious.....I'll give you a cigar as well, but just for the record, it is free and you did not have to do anything to get it other than be a good Celebrity poster. But keep in mind, that I can change the rules and not give out any more cigars whenever I want and those rules are changed right now!

BTW, it is not second class treatment, it is third class treatment.

Thanks for the great laugh and if we every are on the same cruise, I'll be more than happy to keep my end of the bargin and get you a cigar.

Great observation and unfortunately too true! Some people do worry more about what others have that they don't have rather than what they have.

I have had the best time reading the Celebrity board this week. It has been the source of great amusement:D

At first I too was amused. Now, after seeing so many people so upset about what amounts to free stuff, I am disgusted with how selfish and entitled they seem to be.

Edited by boogs

Dear Celebrity Management:

Thanks for the Captain's Club program. I appreciate the perks.

I suggest you ignore the complainers. First of all, they aren't very many, the few just keep posting again and again and again about how Celebrity done them wrong and they should get their points before they even take their cruises.

My guess is that the vast majority of Captain's Club members appreciate the program.

Happy Thanksgiving!

You can add 2 more signatures to this letter (DH and I).