Did you get extra points?

Redtravel

Agreed.

Rodan- Under the previous system it was "infinity" for the number of points required for Elite Plus since it did not exist. I would also think that for the average person the 30 points used for the conversion is very generous. Most likely if you go back to your cruise history and calculate the actual points in the new system you will likely be even further away from the 750 number thus for most of us Celebrity has factored in a bonus with the 30 points.

By the way I had 24 old credits, so I am at 720. I actually consider myself lucky as It would have been much less if Celebrity used the new calculation on my history although I have cruised in regular balconies, concierge, aqua, and suites. Also almost all cruises are over 7 days. Try the calculation and you might feel better.

Absolutely agree! :D If the old credits had all been transferred per the new point system, I would have only had 412 points.

Edited by gimletgal

I got the 25 points with the explanation that we were so close to Elite. I much prefer the new system to the old where you got one point per cruise regardless to length unless over 11 days. This does negatively impact those with access to short 2 and 3 day cruises reaching status sooner than those taking the longer itineraries. It also heavily weights suite guests although they probably don't need the perks. I think it is very fair.

Agreed.

Rodan- Under the previous system it was "infinity" for the number of points required for Elite Plus since it did not exist. I would also think that for the average person the 30 points used for the conversion is very generous. Most likely if you go back to your cruise history and calculate the actual points in the new system you will likely be even further away from the 750 number thus for most of us Celebrity has factored in a bonus with the 30 points.

By the way I had 24 old credits, so I am at 720. I actually consider myself lucky as It would have been much less if Celebrity used the new calculation on my history although I have cruised in regular balconies, concierge, aqua, and suites. Also almost all cruises are over 7 days. Try the calculation and you might feel better.

That is just the point-the new system is much worse than the old. They knew that they had to convert using 30 because if they had not they would have a publicity nightmare as most people would have lost the elite status and others select. Celebrity had in my opinion the most generous program of the major lines and it still does but at a much higher cost to its captain club members. Also the new program is skewed to people who book suites and above and who take cruises that are longer than 14 days (very few of those though with Celebrity). The average cruiser will be sailing more to get less but I guess it will make the new levels more special for those that attain them.

That is just the point-the new system is much worse than the old. They knew that they had to convert using 30 because if they had not they would have a publicity nightmare as most people would have lost the elite status and others select. Celebrity had in my opinion the most generous program of the major lines and it still does but at a much higher cost to its captain club members. Also the new program is skewed to people who book suites and above and who take cruises that are longer than 14 days (very few of those though with Celebrity). The average cruiser will be sailing more to get less but I guess it will make the new levels more special for those that attain them.

Wouldn't you think that those that cruise in suites and above and take the longer cruises spending more $'s with Celebrity, should be rewarded for it? Do you think that someone in an inside cabin for 4 days, should get the same as someone in a suite for 14 days? I think Celebrity got their new program right.

We had 8 old points and they gave us 25 extra new points. Our grand total is 265 points, still short of being a real Elite. BTW, we have enjoyed Elite status since our first Celebrity cruise through the reciprocity with C&A where we are D+. Just booked our next cruise with Celebrity next summer , this one (11 nights on a RS), will make us a real Elite. :):) 132 extra points!!:)

You already are "real" elite and please don't feel otherwise. There is no such "real" or " not real" elite. You either are Elite or are not. You are granted Elite status because of being at least diamond on RCCL. That is all that really matters.

Enjoy

M

Wouldn't you think that those that cruise in suites and above and take the longer cruises spending more $'s with Celebrity, should be rewarded for it? Do you think that someone in an inside cabin for 4 days, should get the same as someone in a suite for 14 days? I think Celebrity got their new program right.

But they got rewarded before too. Using your example, under the old program, the insider would have gotten one credit and the suite three. It's likely the price paid by the suite cruiser would be three times as much.

Now, the inside will earn 8 and the suite 112 (assuming "the cheap suites"). That is a *huge* difference where the total price paid by the suite cruiser will most likely nowhere near 14 times as much.

Personally, I have no issue either way. After completing next week's cruise, I would have had 10 credits. Instead, I'll have 300 points.

If by "worse" you mean the new system takes longer and requires more cruise days and/or higher categories of cabin then you are obviously correct. Celebrity could have very easily could have grandfathered everyone into their existing level and calculated all existing points using the new method, so I still beleive that almost everyone got a really good deal with the 30 points per 1 old point.

I think you are correct that under the old system everyone could move up relatively quickly which was one of the things that they "corrected" with the new system.

I do believe that five years from now new Celebrity cruises will be really jealous of the 30 points per old point that we all received.

We would have become Elite with the future two cruises we have booked (and paid for in full last August) but now find that we will be way short. We did not receive any bonus points, whilst disappointed with this, life goes on. Loyalty programs are constantly being tweaked, changed or closed altogether and as such the perks are just a simple acknowledgement for the loyalty (or $) that people have spent. Anyone who cruises just for the perks doesn't really enjoy cruising, that said, I look forward to using some of the perks when I obtain Elite Status.:D

But they got rewarded before too. Using your example, under the old program, the insider would have gotten one credit and the suite three. It's likely the price paid by the suite cruiser would be three times as much.

Now, the inside will earn 8 and the suite 112 (assuming "the cheap suites"). That is a *huge* difference where the total price paid by the suite cruiser will most likely nowhere near 14 times as much.

Fully agree.

We had 11 pts and we got 330 pts, nothing extra. We always cruised in CC or AQ class... when they started to give extra point for cabins and length of cruises we did not get extra points for prior cruises. We are elite, good enough.

Even before the change in points we decided to simply book a balcony cabin in the future since all the cabins are really the same. Did not feel the extra perks in CC or AQ were really worth it for us.