Security and Identity issues on HAL

amoba

On my HAL Veendam cruise Oct 5, 2012 from Boston to Quebec City, I was put in a room with 2 twin beds and 2 other people, strangers to me, even though I’d paid nearly double for a single and different cabin. When I asked the front desk for help in getting the room I’d booked, they refused, stating there was nothing they could do. I asked for a supervisor who informed me that they’d sold my room to someone else so I might as well unpack in the wrong room as there was almost no chance of someone cancelling in order for me to get a different room.

Later I found out that the other people assigned to the same room as I was, had booked through The Nation Cruise Seminar and they intervened on behalf of the other 2 people. They were eventually successful in getting me out of their room and into my own room.

However, during the entire cruise, the other people had some, but not all, of my charges assigned to their account and some, again, not all, of my charges went to their account. Every day, we each had to stand in line at the front desk to try to get our bills corrected.

Each time that I’d go ashore at a port, someone else’s name and photo would appear in the machine when my key card was scanned. HAL staff were not interested in having this corrected. My name would be announced to the entire ship during dinner, as if I was missing, although room numbers must be given when entering the dining room, and HAL staff knew I was there.

At the end of the cruise when I had a taxi to catch for the airport, they did not want me to leave unless I said I’d been in the other people’s room for the duration of the cruise. In addition to my daily visits to the front desk to get things straightened out, I also wrote to HAL about the problems via the front desk, but I received no response.

After returning home, I wrote to the office of the president of HAL concerning these issues of incorrect room assignment, security and billing issues, and HAL’s indifference to the problems. In response to my letter, they offered $250 credit if I booked a cruise within a year, and told me that the problem was my fault for “incorrectly” checking in under the wrong name! Of course I did not do this, wouldn’t even know how to do this, and had no motive to do this. My boarding pass, passport, and passport card only have my name on them. How would it even be possible to check in under the wrong name and what would I gain from that? Upon checking in at the pier, normally cruise line staff match the passenger’s name on the boarding pass and their government ID to their ship’s roster and I assumed this time would be no different. Apparently I was wrong and they have a different procedure.

In HAL’s response letter to me, they also stated that apologies were extended, it was clearly explained, and they were “simply unaware of the situation”. None of this is true although it’s understandable that HAL staff would report professional and appropriate actions in order to cover themselves after the fact. This should have been easily seen through and the issues I experienced should be acknowledged as they affect security and a myriad of problems.

If anyone else has had a similar experience or can shed light on any of this, I’d be very interested. Thank you, Vicki

On my HAL Veendam cruise Oct 5, 2012 from Boston to Quebec City, I was put in a room with 2 twin beds and 2 other people, strangers to me, even though I’d paid nearly double for a single and different cabin. When I asked the front desk for help in getting the room I’d booked, they refused, stating there was nothing they could do. I asked for a supervisor who informed me that they’d sold my room to someone else so I might as well unpack in the wrong room as there was almost no chance of someone cancelling in order for me to get a different room.

Later I found out that the other people assigned to the same room as I was, had booked through The Nation Cruise Seminar and they intervened on behalf of the other 2 people. They were eventually successful in getting me out of their room and into my own room.

However, during the entire cruise, the other people had some, but not all, of my charges assigned to their account and some, again, not all, of my charges went to their account. Every day, we each had to stand in line at the front desk to try to get our bills corrected.

Each time that I’d go ashore at a port, someone else’s name and photo would appear in the machine when my key card was scanned. HAL staff were not interested in having this corrected. My name would be announced to the entire ship during dinner, as if I was missing, although room numbers must be given when entering the dining room, and HAL staff knew I was there.

At the end of the cruise when I had a taxi to catch for the airport, they did not want me to leave unless I said I’d been in the other people’s room for the duration of the cruise.

Did you agree to this? Sounds like they are admitting guilt.
In addition to my daily visits to the front desk to get things straightened out, I also wrote to HAL about the problems via the front desk, but I received no response.

After returning home, I wrote to the office of the president of HAL concerning these issues of incorrect room assignment, security and billing issues, and HAL’s indifference to the problems. In response to my letter, they offered $250 credit if I booked a cruise within a year, and told me that the problem was my fault for “incorrectly” checking in under the wrong name! Of course I did not do this, wouldn’t even know how to do this, and had no motive to do this. My boarding pass, passport, and passport card only have my name on them. How would it even be possible to check in under the wrong name and what would I gain from that? Upon checking in at the pier, normally cruise line staff match the passenger’s name on the boarding pass and their government ID to their ship’s roster and I assumed this time would be no different. Apparently I was wrong and they have a different procedure.

In HAL’s response letter to me, they also stated that apologies were extended, it was clearly explained, and they were “simply unaware of the situation”. None of this is true although it’s understandable that HAL staff would report professional and appropriate actions in order to cover themselves after the fact. This should have been easily seen through and the issues I experienced should be acknowledged as they affect security and a myriad of problems.

If anyone else has had a similar experience or can shed light on any of this, I’d be very interested. Thank you, Vicki

I would consider one or both of these...

Dispute the charge on your credit card for the value of your cruise. HAL did not provide the service that you paid for. This is a form of Fraud.

Write up the circumstances of your trip and send it to CPB. If HAL is letting people board, disembark and reboard the ship without proper identification, this could be a matter for DHS.

Be sure to keep/copy/submit any/all supporting documents that you have for either of the above.

Hi Thinfool, thank you for the reply and thoughtful ideas. Although it might have been tempting to agree about being in the other room as I had a plane to catch, I could not do it as it was untrue. This led to much more time spent waiting for them to contact the front desk and have lengthy conversations. Eventually they let me go.

I never thought of disputing the entire cruise charge with my credit card company but you have a point there! Usually I don't take the time to bother with most issues but these particular problems with HAL's system plus their uncaring attitude provoked me enough to write a letter and post this message.

It didn't seem to be a matter of passengers not having proper identification, as we all seemed to have the necessary ID, but a matter of HAL mixing people up in their system and embedding incorrect information into their key cards.

Could you tell me who is CPB? I will look into this and yes, I do keep copies of all documents involved, although they did take my key card when I disembarked for the last time, that proved my name did not match what they had in their system.

One thing I forgot to mention is that, other than the problems about which I wrote, I had a good cruise and liked my correct room very much. Service, food, and activities aboard the ship were great. But each day, I was reminded that the problems were never resolved when I'd check my account or see someone else's photo and name during key card scans.

Well I am guessing you meant 2013 and not 2012. This has got to be one of the strangest cruise stories I have ever heard. Not doubting what you say but it is weird. Did you book with a travel agent? If so, he/she should be able to deal with HAL on your behalf.

Let us know how you make out.

We always keep our ship's card as a departing souvenir. They have never taken them when we disembark. Nor do they ask for our cabin number after the very first evening meal. I have had to have a new card re-issued and they have been able do this easily. That is quite a story, but some those details differs quite a bit from our own experiences on HAL ships.

Once when we were embarking we got a last minute cabin change when we were checking in and our luggage already marked had gone to the other cabin as well as the embarkation gifts that had been pre-ordered.

It took a while to get that sorted out but since the last minute change was to a Neptune suite we let a lot of this go. But the main thing is those last minute cabin changes, good, bad or unplanned do throw things off down the line.

First, OP, I think you handled the entire thing with more aplomb than I could muster. You got assigned a room with two other people, strangers? :eek: Very glad you got the solo room you had booked and paid for, eventually.

Second, GentlemanCruiser, when we did Anytime dining on one cruise, we were asked for our cabin number every time we went to the MDR.

…..

Second, GentlemanCruiser, when we did Anytime dining on one cruise, we were asked for our cabin number every time we went to the MDR.

That explains the difference in our experiences on that one point - we always have fixed dining, so after the first night the cabin number is no longer requested.

But being asked to give up the ship's card upon disembarkation? That has never happened as my drawer full of cards from various cruise lines attests.

Could you tell me who is CPB?

Sorry.....old guy here....should have been CBP. http:// http://www.cbp.gov/

Taking your ID card is more evidence of their screwup.

As far as 'keeping' you there till they could approve what you were going to say...well....that is wayyy beyond their authority. You could have walked off the ship....if they tried to detain you, you could have called the police/port authorities...or had someone do it for you (cell phone). Detaining a US citizen in a US port without cause is seriously frowned on.

Edited by thinfool

Vicki, what was the reaction of the two other passengers? Were they two other women, two men, a couple??? Had they booked together, or were they two other singles lumped into this cabin? I'd love to hear a good deal more about how you interacted, and whether the other two passengers simply accepted you when you entered the room for the first time.

I joked in a post earlier this week that it was a good thing that cruise lines hadn't succumbed to the airline industry's overbooking practices. Maybe I was wrong. I must say, though, that your story sound very... strange? Perhaps... unbelievable?

Thank you Snapper! I thought it was just me reading it wrong.

When did HAL start requiring cabin numbers upon entering the MDR???

On the Prinsendam, we had anytime dining and were asked for our cabin number every night.

What an experience you had.

All of these problems can be handled on the ship and should have been handled on the ship.

Any time we have had lunch or breakfast in the dining room, they do ask our cabin number. We have always had the fixed dining time -- so no cabin asked there. But they do ask for cabin numbers if you are a walk-up for dinner.

At the end of the cruise when I had a taxi to catch for the airport, they did not want me to leave unless I said I’d been in the other people’s room for the duration of the cruise. In addition to my daily visits to the front desk to get things straightened out, I also wrote to HAL about the problems via the front desk, but I received no response.

This is the most bizarre story I've heard in my almost 7 years on Cruise Critic! Needless to say, you must have been exhausted at the end of your cruise.

"On my HAL Veendam cruise Oct 5, 2012 from Boston to Quebec City, I was put in a room with 2 twin beds and 2 other people, strangers to me, even though I’d paid nearly double for a single and different cabin. When I asked the front desk for help in getting the room I’d booked, they refused, stating there was nothing they could do."

So 3 people in one regular cabin with 2 twin beds? Where were you all supposed to sleep?

That explains the difference in our experiences on that one point - we always have fixed dining, so after the first night the cabin number is no longer requested.

But being asked to give up the ship's card upon disembarkation? That has never happened as my drawer full of cards from various cruise lines attests.

I have a drawer full of old cards too, but then again there has never been an identity mixup on my card that would make them want to hold onto it. It's hard to prove a mix up if the card is seized.

We were lost from the system on a cruise once and did not exist on the ship for a few hours but that was straightened out when our boarding passes proved we were not stowaways. :)

Does HAL have a shared-singles program where they try to find room mates later for a reduced fare, but require you pay for a solo single fare up front in case they do not?

They have a shared singles programme where they will find you a room mate. Singular.

I have never heard of this before either. If you paid the full supplement which I think you did from reading your post, this is horrific.

While we normally have all of our key cards, we did have one cruise where they wanted them back - no discussion. I think it was the Oosterdam since I don't have that key card. :)

I'm glad you got it sorted out but I find this story very disturbing.

Does HAL have a shared-singles program where they try to find room mates later for a reduced fare, but require you pay for a solo single fare up front in case they do not?

You don't pay for a solo. You pay a fixed rate(percentage). And if they don't find you a roommate the fare remains the same. When I did it earlier this year the single share was about 175% and the Single occupancy rate was 200%.

Well I am guessing you meant 2013 and not 2012. This has got to be one of the strangest cruise stories I have ever heard. Not doubting what you say but it is weird. Did you book with a travel agent? If so, he/she should be able to deal with HAL on your behalf.

Let us know how you make out.

oh yes, so sorry for the typo - I did mean 2013. I booked directly with HAL, not through an agent. thanks for your support. I will let you know if I hear more from HAL. what bothers me after receiving their one letter, is that they made no acknowledgement of the security and identity problems that I addressed, how someone else's ID could be embedded in my card.

This is the most bizarre story I've heard in my almost 7 years on Cruise Critic! Needless to say, you must have been exhausted at the end of your cruise.

Bizarre is the word that keeps going through my head.

What an experience. :eek: