disadvantages of early-season cruise??

texan13

looking at an april 30 departure RT Vancouver on HA....port time in Juneau is 1-10pm on may 2....sunset is 8:50pm.....must see here is a whale-watching excursion and 2-3 hours at mendenhall glacier, including a hike to the falls....anyone see any potential problems with my time in Juneau in early may?.....other ports include Skagway, Ketchikan and glacier bay scenic cruising.....the price is right, just looking for red flags...thanks.

We were on the first trip this year. Weather was bad (rain, wind, cold) in Juneau, Harv and Marv canceled all their whale watch trips for the day, although some of the larger boats went out.

However, Ketchikan was in the 60's!

Never saw a shop that was still closed.

The White Pass Railway doesn't go as far this early, but we drove up the Klondike Highway with a guide. The new Carcross visitor center wasn't open yet, still under construction.

But there are advantages - fewer ships in port this early (we were the only ship in all three ports), few children, lower fares!

Next time I want to do it in September. Enjoy!

Hello- the earliest I have sailed to Alaska is May 15, but certainly everything was ready. My experience with shore excursions is that if they are not ready, they won't be offering the tours. For example, if it's too early or too late for whales, you won't see the whale watching tours offered. If they're offering the tours, the whales are there. (And May is generally fine for humpbacks, I believe.) These are business people, after all.

You may find the temperatures pretty brisk, though, particularly at sea. And there may be more ice around the glaciers than later in the year, which may affect your chances of getting close. I'm not sure how much this affects Glacier Bay.

We sailed early May a few years ago. Everything was open. Weather was cloudy and misty, but still the views were wonderful. Only bad thing was the nasty storm we ran into on the way back....no sleep for us that night! Spent a wet non-whale-watching expedition in Victoria, BC (our non-US stop), but the tour group cut it short and refunded our money.

You know in the end you just never know

My earliest cruise in Alaska was in April of 2012. First ship in all of the ports.

Have been there many times. Most recently, August in 2011 when it rained just about everyday.

April turned out to be the most amazing time we have ever had in Alaska.

Sure, odds say it will be colder. Will have less daylight than mid Summer.

As to rain, who knows.

If early May works for you go for it.

Keith

May cruises have been our favorites and the reason we are doing it again May 2014...We have had great weather, beautiful snow scenery, just a feeling of the start of the new season and the excitement you can sense with the locals.

There are a few humpbacks that do not migrate every year, but the migration is not over until close to the end of May. Going in April, will have few whales to view on whale watches out of Juneau.

I too have done a late April Alaska cruise, 6 out of 7 days- rain. :) Some tours not operating.

looking at an april 30 departure RT Vancouver on HA....port time in Juneau is 1-10pm on may 2....sunset is 8:50pm.....must see here is a whale-watching excursion and 2-3 hours at mendenhall glacier, including a hike to the falls....anyone see any potential problems with my time in Juneau in early may?.....other ports include Skagway, Ketchikan and glacier bay scenic cruising.....the price is right, just looking for red flags...thanks.

I am on the same cruise as you and was wondering the same thing. Sounds like we should be Ok, and I like the idea that we will be the only ships in all three ports the days we visit (I checked on this).

Come on over to the Roll Call Board for this sailing!

DaveOKC

May cruises have been our favorites and the reason we are doing it again May 2014...We have had great weather, beautiful snow scenery, just a feeling of the start of the new season and the excitement you can sense with the locals.

We are thinking of going on an Alaskan cruise the first week in June. Do you do the land portion also? Is it to early to see wildlife? Some folks say June is to early for bears. Any thoughts? Thank you

We are thinking of going on an Alaskan cruise the first week in June. Do you do the land portion also? Is it to early to see wildlife? Some folks say June is to early for bears. Any thoughts? Thank you

Depends who the "some" are and where you are going to be??

IF you are going to Denali park- then for the more distance INTO Denali park, you want to be there June 1 or later. Bears are frequently seen. On the inside passage, June IS too early for any bear viewing tours.

The earliest Kantishna (all the way in) shuttles in 2014 are June 8 on the website. Fortunately, that later day overlaps with most of our planned Denali visit.

Most of Kantishna is private property, not ideal on the shuttle bus for day trippers. Most would be going to Wonder Lake, not Kantishna. And if going to Wonder Lake- be sure to be WELL prepared for bugs, heavy duty- not the "kid stuff".

Most of Kantishna is private property, not ideal on the shuttle bus for day trippers. Most would be going to Wonder Lake, not Kantishna. And if going to Wonder Lake- be sure to be WELL prepared for bugs, heavy duty- not the "kid stuff".

Wonder Lake doesn't open until June 8th, either.

Wonder Lake doesn't open until June 8th, either.

This has been the case for years. My point is your mention of Kantishna and the better bus in my opinion, being Wonder Lake, unless you are staying overnight at Kantishna.

Edited by Budget Queen

Glacer Bay may be ok but i know last year when we went the last week in May we could not get into Tracy Arm. The whole thing was scraped due to ice in the channel.

We've been scheduled on Alaska cruises to go to the Sawyer glaciers at the end of Tracy Arm more than 5 times at any month from May to September. We got there ONCE.:rolleyes:

This has been the case for years. My point is your mention of Kantishna and the better bus in my opinion, being Wonder Lake, unless you are staying overnight at Kantishna.

Planning a late-May 2015 trip, what we want to do is cruise from Vancouver northbound hopefully including our anniversary (May 27). Then tour (prob. on our own, thinking deep into Denali, I would love to overnight in Kantishna at least one night) ending up in Fairbanks when school is out since our friends up there include a teacher. Cruise schedules are not out yet but Princess usually does 7-day on Saturday, no?

Since we're willing to rent a car. Is this just a bit too early for Kantishna plans or just shuttle-bus plans? Would Skyline Lodge not be open by that time (Looks like maybe as early as June 2nd)? Or are we just talking road access, and could get there (Skyline) by air taxi?

What is the "Better Bus?"

Thanks,

Rick

Edited by sminfiddle
etaoin shrdlu

We've been scheduled on Alaska cruises to go to the Sawyer glaciers at the end of Tracy Arm more than 5 times at any month from May to September. We got there ONCE.:rolleyes:

Wow - I have been scheduled 4x and have not made it yet.

Planning a late-May 2015 trip, what we want to do is cruise from Vancouver northbound hopefully including our anniversary (May 27). Then tour (prob. on our own, thinking deep into Denali, I would love to overnight in Kantishna at least one night) ending up in Fairbanks when school is out since our friends up there include a teacher. Cruise schedules are not out yet but Princess usually does 7-day on Saturday, no?

Since we're willing to rent a car. Is this just a bit too early for Kantishna plans or just shuttle-bus plans? Would Skyline Lodge not be open by that time (Looks like maybe as early as June 2nd)? Or are we just talking road access, and could get there (Skyline) by air taxi?

What is the "Better Bus?"

Thanks,

Rick

You need to confirm the Kantishna lodges timing, direct with them. Should be available online. I suggest you determine why you want to overnight there. Costs are way up there. Look at what activities are going to be available for you in this timeframe. Most people go to Denali for the wildlife potential, this is best done on the move and from riding the shuttle buses, not parking yourself at Kantishna.

Since you are questioning weekend Princess sailing dates, I'm assuming this plan is not for next year?

It depends how much time you are going to have, if you have an interest in spending time in Fairbanks? Flights available out of Fairbanks are not in the numbers out of Anchorage, and you will be getting a drop off fee for any rental cars. Work through your plans and keep fine tuning, don't jump into any fixed planning at this point, you are then going to get a fantastic trip. :)

Could you elaborate, please? I thought the shuttles were all the same types of buses. I just got the deepest in one, knowing we could get off wherever. Am I mistaken with this?

thanks!

Could you elaborate, please? I thought the shuttles were all the same types of buses. I just got the deepest in one, knowing we could get off wherever. Am I mistaken with this?

thanks!

Take a look at the Denali park map. http://www.nps.gov/dena As I have already mentioned, Kantishna is mostly private property. Going to Wonder Lake is superior in my opinion.