New system--Galapagos

Bruin Steve

I'm hoping someone knows the answer and will save my reading hundreds of pages of info about the new Captains Club system...

Under the old system, I had 24 credits--which would have been one simple cruise of any kind away from reaching 25--which would have translated directly to Elite Plus had I done that cruise before the changeover...

Unfortunately, it got converted to 720 points--30 short of Elite Plus...

Depending on what category cabin or length of cruise I take next, it could take as many as three 7 night cruises to reach Elite Plus...Of course, if my next cruise on Celebrity were to be, for example, a 7 nighter in a concierge class cabin, I would get there with that cruise...

But, as of now, my next scheduled Celebrity cruise is a 10-night Ecuador/Galapagos package...and I am in an "ordinary" cabin category...

It appears that the new points system for the Xpedition is:

Stateroom Categories for Celebrity Xpedition Club Points Earned per Night Oceanview, Deluxe, Premium 2

Junior, Xpedition Suite 8

Royal Suite 12

Penthouse Suite 18

So, do I get just 14 points because it is a 7 night cruise? Or 20 points because it is a 10 night package--land and cruise...?

In either event, it appears it won't get me over that 30 point hump I need to get to to reach Elite Plus...

It seems rather meager--since that Xpedition package is costing well over $10,000! I could book a suite on a typical 14 night Celebrity Med cruise for that...Obviously, the points awarded for the suites on Xpedition are quite substantial...but a suite would have run over $16,000...

Of course, 8 points per night for a $16,000 cabin versus only 2 per night for a $10,000 cabin seems rather out of line as well...

Edited by Bruin Steve

Not certain, but I would think you receive 20 points. I am making this educated guess based on under the old system land tours were counted towards the 12 night cut-off for receiving an extra cruise credit. Hopefully someone can confirm; I too have an upcoming 10 night Xpedition voyage including the land portion. I was a bit surprised the multiple for Xpedition wasn't a bit higher since they are priced so much higher than other cruises.

Have you called Celebrity to ask, they probably know the answer. The Xpedition was one of the best trips I ever took. It's not like any cruise, more of an adventure. Did you remember to get your 10% off the fare for being an elite member? In the price range you're paying that's a big savings.

Did you receive the 25 bonus points that some others were receiving?

If not, I would call Celebrity and explain that you were 1 cruise short under the old system and that you booked this cruise hoping to get there. With you booking a $10,000 trip I would hope that they would give you the extra points to get to Elite Plus.

It's not like you booked a 3 nighter in the Bahamas just to get to Elite Plus.

I asked this question on another thread, and received this helpful answer from RockyMountainGal:

This is from the Q&A on Celebrity's Facebook page:

< How many points do you receive per night on the Xpedition?

• Celebrity Cruises Hi - The XP points will also be per night (including the Cruisetour nights) and they will be reflected on the website within 24 hours approximately. ~ LM

So the answer is you will receive 20 points (2 x 10 day cruisetour).

Are they definitely giving the extra points for suites on Xpedition now? I am curious because Celebrity did not give them in the past for higher stateroom categories.

In 2007 I had a suite on Xpedition for the 10-night Galapagos cruisetour, but I only received 1 point for it.

In 2013 I had a suite on Xpedition for the 13-night Galapagos/Macchu Pichu cruisetour, but I only received 2 points for it.

Both times I was told Xpedition is a "special" case and extra points are not given for suites.

If they are giving points for suites, I would have 184 points for my 2 Galapagos sailings instead of only 90 points from the conversion.

I got 90 points after the conversion for a 12-night Med sailing in a suite that cost less than half what the 10-night Galapagos sailing cost.

Did you receive the 25 bonus points that some others were receiving?

If not, I would call Celebrity and explain that you were 1 cruise short under the old system and that you booked this cruise hoping to get there. With you booking a $10,000 trip I would hope that they would give you the extra points to get to Elite Plus.

It's not like you booked a 3 nighter in the Bahamas just to get to Elite Plus.

bonus points were only given to those with 7, 8 or 9 credits to make it easier for them to reach elite. AFAIK, no points were given to anyone because they were near one of the new levels. Of course, it never hurts to ask....

I was going to post a similar topic - about the points for Xpedition. However, after some deliberations, decided to pass. The issue of point assignment is not only related to the category cost but also to the promotion of the desirable for X market sectors. For example, the cost of concierge class cabins is higher than that of a regular balcony, but not by the 66.7% that the new point system may suggest. Moreover, the FV cabins are often more expensive than even C1.

Xpedition cruises are popular, and X probably does not feel that any additional incentive is needed. Even though we would very much want otherwise..

Are they definitely giving the extra points for suites on Xpedition now? I am curious because Celebrity did not give them in the past for higher stateroom categories.

In 2007 I had a suite on Xpedition for the 10-night Galapagos cruisetour, but I only received 1 point for it.

In 2013 I had a suite on Xpedition for the 13-night Galapagos/Macchu Pichu cruisetour, but I only received 2 points for it.

Both times I was told Xpedition is a "special" case and extra points are not given for suites.

If they are giving points for suites, I would have 184 points for my 2 Galapagos sailings instead of only 90 points from the conversion.

I got 90 points after the conversion for a 12-night Med sailing in a suite that cost less than half what the 10-night Galapagos sailing cost.

Interesting concerning the suite on the Expedition. I cruised in the Jr. Suite in 2010 and received 2 credits. On my sailing history it states suite/seven day cruises and 2 credits. Does yours reflect the 13 days instead of the 7 days? I also had a cruise tour, but I do not recall how long it was. Several days in the front and one day post day. It is not indicated on my sailing history. I wasn't even aware that the land portion counted for cruise days.

Perhaps Celebrity gave you two credits for the suite/cruise?

It was a great cruise and we loved everything about it.

I was going to post a similar topic - about the points for Xpedition. However, after some deliberations, decided to pass. The issue of point assignment is not only related to the category cost but also to the promotion of the desirable for X market sectors. For example, the cost of concierge class cabins is higher than that of a regular balcony, but not by the 66.7% that the new point system may suggest. Moreover, the FV cabins are often more expensive than even C1.

Xpedition cruises are popular, and X probably does not feel that any additional incentive is needed. Even though we would very much want otherwise..

Good point.