Diamond Princess & Voyager of the Seas in Melbourne today - 05 Dec 2013

Great to see these 2 large cruise ships side by side but...... I wonder how the public transport will cope with so many extras? When we arrived in Melbourne on Voyager last year, there was chaos on the trams and buses (they were packed to the rafters so you had to wait for the next one in 20 mins which would also be packed so you just elbowed your way on somehow!) so I hope the city has factored in more frequent transport to & from the port for today.

Thanks for the great pics. Diamond had a problem getting the port ganeway to work. The computer broke down. So they had to use their own ganeway.

People are getting off the ship now. Many don't know they need a myki card, even the port lecture was inaccurate telling them you could buy a ticket onboard the tram. I think most are going to wing it. I did point out to coupke of people where you could get the cards and day packs, but suggested if there was a couple of people in their party might be cheaper to do a car.

Many are going to Victoria park markets. I thought why. Lol.

Thanks for the great pics. Diamond had a problem getting the port ganeway to work. The computer broke down. So they had to use their own ganeway.

People are getting off the ship now. Many don't know they need a myki card, even the port lecture was inaccurate telling them you could buy a ticket onboard the tram. I think most are going to wing it. I did point out to coupke of people where you could get the cards and day packs, but suggested if there was a couple of people in their party might be cheaper to do a car.

Many are going to Victoria park markets. I thought why. Lol.

Won't it be belam with 2 large ships in port and many not knowing about the Myki cards!

We are docking in Melbourne 3 times during our April Southern States cruise in April on Pacific Pearl so I did my research and now have one in my possession.

I understand that you just need to put some $$'s on it no more than a month out from when you want to use it. That sound right? :confused:

Gae

The Queen Mary 2 and Celebrity Solstice are both in Melbourne in March! I'm on the QM2 - I am thinking bedlam at around 3-4 when the schoolkids are coming home from school and everyone trying to get back to the shop for departure at 6pm. I have my myki loaded from other Melbourne land trips.

The current passenger load today is 6,400! Makes my trip seem almost quiet at 5,500. In July next year we are cruising from Venice - where 15,000 passengers are expected.

Edited by Pushka

The Queen Mary 2 and Celebrity Solstice are both in Melbourne in March! I'm on the QM2 - I am thinking bedlam at around 3-4 when the schoolkids are coming home from school and everyone trying to get back to the shop for departure at 6pm.

Yikes! That will need a bit of forward thinking to avoid the congestion as much as possible!

Yikes! That will need a bit of forward thinking to avoid the congestion as much as possible!

I'm thinking of watching the gangway at 5.55pm for the runners. Or highly charged walkers (it's ok, my mum has one too!) Naughty I know.

The Queen Mary 2 and Celebrity Solstice are both in Melbourne in March! I'm on the QM2 - I am thinking bedlam at around 3-4 when the schoolkids are coming home from school and everyone trying to get back to the shop for departure at 6pm. I have my myki loaded from other Melbourne land trips.

The current passenger load today is 6,400! Makes my trip seem almost quiet at 5,500. In July next year we are cruising from Venice - where 15,000 passengers are expected.

I am sure (would hope anyway) that the cruise ships will have a bit of play in their schedules for all the late arrivals.

The roads around the port area can get gridlocked at times.

When we returned to the ship, in what we thought was plenty of time, the driver suggested we get out of the taxi and walk as the traffic was going nowhere.. We made it just in time , but then the ship had to wait for the ships tours to arrive back , who were also stuck in the gridlock.

Well ship dont sail until 1 pm tomorrow so plenty of time for the stragglers to make it back.

So, if you were visiting friends and/or relatives in Melbourne, could you stay off board overnight and return before set-sail the next day? This should be allowed but just wondering if anyone has actually done this when the ship docks for 2 days at a port.

Many don't know they need a myki card, even the port lecture was inaccurate telling them you could buy a ticket onboard the tram. I think most are going to wing it. I did point out to coupke of people where you could get the cards and day packs, .

Where should I buy my Myki card on Monday when I arrive on Voyager?

Where should I buy my Myki card on Monday when I arrive on Voyager?

If you have a Seniors card (maybe you aren't old enough??) you are entitled to the concession fare in Melbourne. This follows an agreement between the state Premiers a few years ago to offer concessions on a reciprocal basis. :)

i noticed what concessions can be used on the myki card

Holders of a Victorian Seniors Card* are eligible

to travel on a seniors myki. Interstate Seniors Card

holders should buy a concession myki.

Holders of the following Australian concession

cards are eligible to travel on a concession myki:

• Victorian Health Care Card

• Australian Pensioner Concession Card*

• Victorian Public Transport Student Concession Card

• Interstate Seniors cards

• Victorian Public Transport War Widow /

War Veteran Concession Card

• Asylum Seeker Concession Card.

Weather on Melbourne today is crap. Hail & rain. Cold. We were going to drive & have a look at the girls but hubby said no. Too cold.

Voyager is back in on Monday so might go & look then. Rather than go yo the market why not just go into the city?