Bringing wine and spirits onboard

Seagull60

I am wondering if with the drink packages at some point they will start reminding pax more outwardly of the limit to encourage drink package sales. I cannot imagine at this point them enforcing the rule just say, print it in a bolder font. ...

Could you explain what you mean by the limit? Enforcing what rule?

Could you explain what you mean by the limit? Enforcing what rule?

It is in the OPs first post.

In that it says it 'would be confiscated' whereas the policy reads that they reserve the right to ...

As per the often overlooked FAQ on their website (in Guest services link a the very tip top of the home page) there are these. IMHO they must include the right to control so that is an understandable condition. Note the other faq allows wine specifically - not other alcoholic beverages.

It states:

What is your alcohol policy?

The sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages will be limited to guests aged 21 years or older. Oceania Cruises will refuse and prohibits the sale of alcoholic beverages to guests under the age of 21 years. Guests are kindly reminded to consume alcohol in moderation. Oceania Cruises reserves the right to prohibit and retain all alcohol bought ashore for consumption onboard the vessel.

Can I purchase bottles of wine at ports of call and bring them onboard?

Guests wishing to purchase wine in a port of call and bring it onboard with them may do so, limited to three (3) bottles per stateroom. Guests are welcome to enjoy their wine in the comfort and privacy of their stateroom or suite, or, if they prefer, may enjoy their wine in one of the ship's dining rooms. Any wine consumed in the dining room or a public area will be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00 per bottle

It is likely laid out in the contract in part of your official documentation.

My wife and I were aboard Riviera with some of the above posters on our cruise to Miami from Barcelona. Observed many passengers taking wine/spirits aboard in Barcelona - and subsequent ports. all without hindrance of any kind.

I've posted on other threads that despite some initial difficulty, I had a case of our favorite wines shipped to Barcelona/MV Riviera with our identity, cruise and cabin numbers clearly displayed.

The fun was that it took our Butler, Concierge, several sommeliers and the assistant cellar master two days to locate it. But find it they did and drink it WE did.

My conclusion is that regarding Oceania: all things are possible with a modicum of perseverance and good humor. ;)

JMBobB

B.S. We were amazed that the sommeliers all remembered our wines from the winery's first wine cruise a year ago on Riviera. We asked them to taste this years vintage and they were very appreciative and complimentary. It's nice to have friends when you cruise...

Edited by JMBobB

Arrived home yesterday from a Nautica cruise. No problems taking alcohol, of any sort, aboard. Took two bottles of wine and a bottle each of DH's and my favorite alcohols.

While aboard, we asked for specific mixers, glasses, limes, ice, etc. so we could make our drinks in room, and all were cheerfully provided. No other passengers reported any issues with this either.

It is in the OPs first post.

In that it says it 'would be confiscated' whereas the policy reads that they reserve the right to ...

As per the often overlooked FAQ on their website (in Guest services link a the very tip top of the home page) there are these. IMHO they must include the right to control so that is an understandable condition. Note the other faq allows wine specifically - not other alcoholic beverages.

It states:

Can I purchase bottles of wine at ports of call and bring them onboard?

Guests wishing to purchase wine in a port of call and bring it onboard with them may do so, limited to three (3) bottles per stateroom. Guests are welcome to enjoy their wine in the comfort and privacy of their stateroom or suite, or, if they prefer, may enjoy their wine in one of the ship's dining rooms. Any wine consumed in the dining room or a public area will be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00 per bottle

It is likely laid out in the contract in part of your official documentation.

Just out of curiosity, where is this statement about purchasing wine at ports of call - what section of the FAQs? I saw the question about O's alcohol policy, but not the one about wine purchase in ports.

Just out of curiosity, where is this statement about purchasing wine at ports of call - what section of the FAQs? I saw the question about O's alcohol policy, but not the one about wine purchase in ports.

What difference does it make when they don't enforce it? :confused:

The verbage is there for several reasons, primarily to prevent abuse.

As in Paragraph 15 of the Ticket Contract, "Carrier reserves the right to prohibit and retain all liquor brought aboard the Ship".

What difference does it make when they don't enforce it? :confused:

The verbage is there for several reasons, primarily to prevent abuse.

As in Paragraph 15 of the Ticket Contract, "Carrier reserves the right to prohibit and retain all liquor brought aboard the Ship".

It really doesn't really matter; I just thought maybe I missed something, especially after I read something on Cruise Critic that states that Oceania doesn't allow you to bring liquor on board. I suppose reserving the right to prohibit it is closer to prohibiting it, so the CC writer decided to put O in the "disallow" group.

I think the way Oceania has worded their policy is excellent, and they are not "not enforcing" their policy; they're just being flexible. If there's a problem, they take care of it. If not, everyone's happy - except, perhaps, if someone feels he/she is singled out and raises an objection.

Ladies & Gentlemen,

Could we puh-leez cease arguin' over how many (non) angels kin dance on the head uva pin?

Sober or t'otherwise...

JMBobB

Isn't that what the "Unsubscribe" button is for? I didn't think anyone was being forced to read anything here on Cruise Critic!

Interesting, we just booked on Insignia Sept 2014. We were told by agent, what was stated in other posts. Limits. 3bottles of wine NO spirits. My luck if I brought vodka on board they would take.:rolleyes:For us the 60.00pkg doesn't pay.

My SO isn't a big drinker. I sure would like a martini on my balcony pre-dinner.

Interesting, we just booked on Insignia Sept 2014. We were told by agent, what was stated in other posts. Limits. 3bottles of wine NO spirits. My luck if I brought vodka on board they would take.:rolleyes:For us the 60.00pkg doesn't pay.

My SO isn't a big drinker. I sure would like a martini on my balcony pre-dinner.

You read?? Everyone's experiences so follow the agent and miss out.....:rolleyes:

I think it has been established in this thread as well as several others

Oceania WILL allow you to bring alcohol for use in your cabin also wine but if you take the wine to the dining venues you WILL pay the corkage fee

If you do not drink much then do NOT buy the packages just pay as you go

There is NO prerequisite to buy a drink package

Worst case scenario

You can always buy a martini in the bar & take it to drink on your balcony

Enjoy the cruise

Are you going to listen to your agent who is wrong or go by what previous and current passengers have said? I've never had a problem bringing on spirits (although I generally limit myself to one bottle) and I've never brought on more than three bottles of wine at a time -- although I know people who have). None of us have had problems and we didn't try to hide the hootch either.

Mura

Know about corkage fees. Have been on many cruises. We've found other lines were confiscating alcohol from some pax. Two lines in particular took liquor/wine purchased while at port and held it till end of cruise. Oceania sounds more open.

We will bring wine on board for our own use in room. And WILL bring one bottle of alcohol.

know about corkage fees. Have been on many cruises. We've found other lines were confiscating alcohol from some pax. Two lines in particular took liquor/wine purchased while at port and held it till end of cruise. Oceania sounds more open.

We will bring wine on board for our own use in room. And will bring one bottle of alcohol.

smart move!

What are you out, even if they do confiscate your bottle and give it back at disembarkation? As we have all said, up to now no one has had a problem. And having a drink on your balcony is so much easier if your bar is on the dresser in your cabin.

If worse comes to worse this is a situation where "it's better to ask for forgiveness than for permission." Live a little!

What ever you decide, have a great cruise!

Edited by TKS

I think it has been established in this thread as well as several others

Oceania WILL allow you to bring alcohol for use in your cabin also wine but if you take the wine to the dining venues you WILL pay the corkage fee

If you do not drink much then do NOT buy the packages just pay as you go

There is NO prerequisite to buy a drink package

Worst case scenario

You can always buy a martini in the bar & take it to drink on your balcony

Enjoy the cruise

Let's see, hmmm. Cocktail before dinner, wine with dinner. Not a problem for me. I'm looking forward to being on Oceania. Chose this over Regent for itinerary.

I would be shocked as well

Guess I will not bother going out of my way to look for something for the cabin just in case they decide to uphold the policy

Will not be buying their drink package either :D

Thanks for the info

Lyn

So you are playing by the uninformed rules? Just asking.

Lyn,

Where are you coming from? I can guarantee that on our Nov 20-Dec 8 cruise on Marina there were no problems with bringing liquor on board.

I've never heard of liquor being confiscated ... if it was, there had to be abuse. (Like being drunk too often!)

The policy as stated has always been the policy (or so I believe). Nothing has changed. O still reserves the right to confiscate. It's not like NCL where I did have to smuggle on my vodka ... I've never done so before, but I was challenged!

You guys aren't big drinkers anyway, as I recall.

(Or you could book a top suite and have more than you would ever need! :eek:)

Mura