The danger of sailing with Regent SS

jklc123

We are booking a river cruise with Uniworld. I was happy with a moderately priced cabin with balcony, but after having recently sailed in a PH C on Voyager, now DH has decided to upgrade us to a suite with much more room, more closets (unfortunately not walk-in), double sinks and a butler. I knew we'd be spoiled on Regent!

In our ten or so Regent cruises, we've had "merely" G level cabins. We, too, have been spoiled and haven't looked elsewhere. We've always been interested in trying river cruising by the way, but to have the kind of cabin/bathroom space we've so enjoyed on Regent, I believe the cost is prohibitive for us.

Enjoy your cruising and thanks for the sweet post.

You're all so right. Once you sail with Regent there is never looking back. My husband won't consider any other cruise line. We are trying Oceania in the Caribbean because everyone talks about the amazing food and beautiful ship (we'll be in Riviera). For long trips or any outside Caribbean we won't change from Regent. IMO you cannot beat the Regent experience.

I do journey on a number of different cruise lines big and small but travelling on Regent each time is like coming home. A lot of our travel is itinerary driven and if we dont find the itinerary on a cruiseline we love we look for another cruise or do a land trip.

I plan to do a river cruise in 2015 - not sure of the line at this time.

Emdee: We also are itinerary driven first and ship second. We greatly prefer small ships, which is why we gave Regent a try (and hope to return). We have just booked our 3rd cruise with Uniworld. You might find them close to Regent in quality.

Thanks JKLC123.

Have you been on Viking?

No, so I can't compare Uniworld with Viking. What we've liked about Uniworld, among other things, is the company's quick ability to arrange excellent excursions when we were on the Danube & hit with high water, necessitating a schedule change. We didn't have to be bused from port to port as other lines had to do at that time. The guides were excellent in most cases, as with Regent. The only thing we didn't like is that on our Russia trip, we didn't stay in a downtown hotel in Moscow & St. Petersburg but on the ship for our 3 days in those locations. It's possible to use the excellent metro system in each city if you want to see more during the evening, but there is a 10 to 20 minute walk to the stations there. I highly recommend that itinerary on just about any river cruise line.

Thanks JKLC123.

Have you been on Viking?

that section here on CC and the reviews for ea.line and ship.

To get the Regent experience, I agree you almost must get a suite.The closest I ve found so far is Scenic(trying my first this June).Booked a jr.suite with tub,butler,balcony,room service,tips,drinks,et...all inc.

The next closest IMO would be AMA long ships.Viking is considered mid range,along with Uniworld,Avalon.Another luxury line is Tauck.But they only have french balconies,no tubs,and some amenities missing.

Even then,you ll see the difference in quality of above services,but boats are small,cabins too.Must get thru river locks.PS.they book up WAY in advance,most 1 yr.minimum.EVen put a refundable hold on Scenic for 2015.I alternate between ocean and river to get the best of both worlds.:)