Has anyone heard weird complaints from other passengers about things?

quiksilver23

Yikes. As my Southern grandmother would have said, "Well, bless her heart". :rolleyes: I can imagine the kinds of complaints that kind of person had for the rest of their cruise - must have been awful for them having to mix with all the "lower class" passengers.

Lol! and that makes me think of that old expression "they must be 'new' money!" Lol! anyone truly "cultured" would have never acted that way.

I know we were once seated with suite passengers and we were in a lowly balcony. He was money and you could tell. The man wore a huge diamond ring, not gaudy just huge. He was not showy at all and was embarrassed when it came out in conversation by his girlfriend that he had been on Cunard many times with his parents, but it was her first cruise. I got the definite impression he just wanted us to see him as a nice guy.

That was one of my favorite cruises; we were doing a northern TA for England to New Jersey, USA. This couple was British. The other couple with us was Canadian. Our group was a nice mix and we had a wonderful time at dinner.

This was right before the housing crash in the US and we had heard on British news about the "Crisis in America" that was effecting British banks. WE knew nothing about it and so asked them about it. They and the Canadian couple knew all about the fact the the US was in trouble because too many people had bought houses they could not afford with those arm loans, planning to refinance in a couple of years when they had equity.( of course houses lost value so there was no equity huh?) Apparently it was all over their news stations but not ours.

This was in September 2007. It finally hit our news along about December 2007.

We were waiting for the last couple to arrive for our table of eight. They finally showed up, took a look at us and the others and said, "You would think they would sit us suite passengers with better people."

Wow. You must have had Cousin Eddie sitting with you for them to make that type of judgement call about your status as soon as they met you. :eek:

Me, I would have started talking about how exciting it was that the crew let us come up past the Gate in Steerage Class to eat in the MDR on the first night. :D

Bob

And on a land vacation I met a really great British soldier. I'm a Canadian one. Sitting around the pool having a couple of beers and a great chat I just happend to say "I feel like really tyeing one on today" All of a sudden he stands up, looks around and says "did you have anyone particular in mind?" He thought I wanted to get into a scrap. I explained that I just wanted to drink a whole bunch more beer. He sits back down and says "ah, you want to have a "session", I'm with you". Canadian english is a good mix of American and British. We use a lot of American terms like trunk instead of boot but we tend to spell similar words the British way.

And on a land vacation I met a really great British soldier. I'm a Canadian one. Sitting around the pool having a couple of beers and a great chat I just happend to say "I feel like really tyeing one on today" All of a sudden he stands up, looks around and says "did you have anyone particular in mind?" He thought I wanted to get into a scrap. I explained that I just wanted to drink a whole bunch more beer. He sits back down and says "ah, you want to have a "session", I'm with you". Canadian english is a good mix of American and British. We use a lot of American terms like trunk instead of boot but we tend to spell similar words the British way.

I like "are you taking the piss" also "and Bob's your Uncle"

Eat more BACON

We met a couple who complained constantly. The food (which everyone else felt was very good) was "terrible." The cabin was "too small" at just under 400 s/f.

The best was that they didn't get 24/7 free Internet as they had expected. (Not sure why they expected it, all promotional materials talk about Internet being available for a fee, and we managed to get connected for the price of a drink in port every day at various cafes.)

Also not a complaint per se, but had breakfast with a couple from Germany. The husband had excellent English, the wife's was OK but not great. There was definitely a communication gap between her and the server, she sent back two orders of eggs that weren't cooked as she thought she was ordering them. I want to remember she wanted three minute eggs but didn't want them fried or soft boiled. I'm not sure what she was looking for, when I suggested poached she said that wasn't what she wanted either. The poor server was trying so hard to please, and she was frustrated but polite. He finally brought out a third set of eggs, which still weren't what she wanted, but she ate them anyhow.

Edited by ducklite

Don't you just love the English language, especially when it 'adopts' foreign words. I'm married to an American and we had some 'linguistic confusions' in our early days!

Thanks for the link.

FYI... Not to get off the subject, but there is a lot more on "English vs American" on a thread that has been going on for quite some time:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1314284

a couple from Germany. The husband had excellent English, the wife's was OK but not great. There was definitely a communication gap between her and the server, she sent back two orders of eggs that weren't cooked as she thought she was ordering them.

He finally brought out a third set of eggs, which still weren't what she wanted, but she ate them anyhow.

I am guessing the husband wasn't around to translate. Maybe she wanted Sunnyside up. But it does go to show the crew does try hard to please.

Eat more BACON

I am guessing the husband wasn't around to translate. Maybe she wanted Sunnyside up. But it does go to show the crew does try hard to please.

Eat more BACON

The husband had gone to the buffet and then was off talking to one of his friends who was on board. The first eggs brought out were soft boiled, the second were sunny side, neither was right. I think she was looking for poached, but when I suggested that, she said no. The third set that came out were again soft boiled, but with a firmer yoke. I felt badly because the wife was being very polite but you could sense the frustration, and the poor server was trying so hard--his English wasn't very good, so it was a double whammy.

Edited by ducklite

We ate lunch with a couple and their friend. All three of them had something to complain about. One complained that the ribs in a "spicy barbecue sauce" were spicy. Another complained that the matzoh balls were too small. They said they were looking forward to going back to Carnival and that they did not care for Princess.

Husband and I were on our honeymoon. First night at supper and we are sitting with 4 ladies and one is a complainer. She complained about almost everything on the menu and even complained that the spinach salad had spinach in it.:cool:

On our way out after supper we requested a new table.

Edited by The Sunset Glow

She even complained that the spinach salad had spinach in it.:cool:

Okay, now that is the funniest thing I have heard all day! She should have ordered a spinach salad and hold the spinach I guess!

I guess we have been lucky. Most of our tablemates have been reasonable people. A couple have been a little annoying, but bearable. Only one guy I can remember being a chronic complainer, and we avoided him after the first night.

I saw one guy leave the table one night after getting his panties in a wad over a silly comment directed his way, but he was no loss. We finished our food in peace.

I am okay with eating from the buffet if necessary. Not much of a gormet, me. But if they start getting Golden Corale to cater it, I might change my mind.

On my last cruise, I was sitting back at the Lido Pool and I overheard a woman complaining to her husband about the noise the water makes when hitting the ship and she couldn't relax at her balcony. I almost asked her to switch with my oceanview, but for some reason, I didn't :p

She was not polite because he told her no and explained why they were not using that area and she went there anyway. He told her that they were doing something in that area later that morning, I guess I should have said so in my first post- perhaps a wine tasting there later? I do remember exactly what he said. I remember her reaction than what he said I guess, but he gave her a reason, not just no. I ate in there a couple of other mornings that cruise and the window area was open. This was in 2006 so good while ago.

I also like sitting by the window. That is the main reason why we usually book a balcony or better as I love looking at the ocean. Still I would never take the attitude that I paid for the cruise and I will have what I want and the crew person must pander to my wants because that is my "right".

She was rude and being older is no excuse in my book. I am certainly glad most older people do not act that way. Plenty of young people do but most older people have better manners.

seriously?

Another complained that the matzoh balls were too small. ......................

Matzoh balls are never 'just right'. Even Goldilocks would have a problem.

Too hard, too soft, too big, too small. :p

One time I was stood at a railing looking down into an atrium, and a lady came and stood exactly behind me and then complained to her husband (very loudly) that she just "couldn't see a darned thing!"

Not an overheard complaint - just more of an observation on the strangeness of humans! . Lots of men "think" they can dance, and they always blame the woman when things go wrong in the lesson.... A couple we met on a sea day tango thing - the poor wife, everything she did was wrong!! I danced with the husband, I was making the same mistakes too apparently - then my daughter who has danced every day for 14 years got to dance with him - don't think he quite knew how to tell her she couldnt dance either! haha!! bless him!!

First British is my heritage a couple of generations back so please don't take this the wrong way. Don't know how many of you have seen the British comedy show Keeping Up Appearances but we got seated with Mrs Bouquet. Yes Hysynth. Complained the first night that there were no "chips" on the dinner menu. For us North Americans read french fries. Complained for the entire meal about this to the waiter and the rest of us at the table as well. The second night our great waiter brought her out a small plate of them shortly after we sat down. I saw it as a nice gesture. Her response "If they are not on the menu how do I know they were even made on the ship. Take them away until they are on the menu and I know they were made here" It was a sea day. Haden't seen a port in hours. I felt really sorry for her husband because he was a great fellow and conversationist.

Exactly my thoughts as well.

I'll invite you to a day at work. You'll be surprised how many older people behave condescending. Of course there's young people doing it as well, but thinking older people rarely do this, is just ignorant.

I think it also has to do with what part of the world your from.

Eat more BACON

Exactly my thoughts as well.

I'll invite you to a day at work. You'll be surprised how many older people behave condescending. Of course there's young people doing it as well, but thinking older people rarely do this, is just ignorant.

When I become a seasoned citizen, I'll be the gal in the express check out lane with 100 goods, no ID, paying with an out of state check.:rolleyes:

When I become a seasoned citizen, I'll be the gal in the express check out lane with 100 goods, no ID, paying with an out of state check.:rolleyes:

And wait till they have rung up all 100 items before you start looking for your check book at the bottom of your very large purse. :D

I also assume you will be on your phone too. :eek:

Don