No time for CC whilst the Ashes are on!

The air-conditioning is cranked up as I settle down to watch the final test! A few changes to the English side - hope it helps them to make a decent competition of it this time in Sydney.

The air-conditioning is cranked up as I settle down to watch the final test! A few changes to the English side - hope it helps them to make a decent competition of it this time in Sydney.

The Poms have finally won something this summer, the toss. With three debutants I think they will put in a bit more heart to their cricket. Cook sent the Aussies in and they picked up Warner cheaply and early, which is good for them as he has passed 500 runs for the series. Hope this turns out to be another nail biter with the Aussies getting the 5th win late on the 5th day.:D

The Poms have finally won something this summer, the toss. With three debutants I think they will put in a bit more heart to their cricket. Cook sent the Aussies in and they picked up Warner cheaply and early, which is good for them as he has passed 500 runs for the series. Hope this turns out to be another nail biter with the Aussies getting the 5th win late on the 5th day.:D

Got to say that the morning session was a good one for the Poms taking our 4 top batsmen out of the equation quite cheaply. Yes, could just turn into a "nail-biter"!

Got to say that the morning session was a good one for the Poms taking our 4 top batsmen out of the equation quite cheaply. Yes, could just turn into a "nail-biter"!

Yeah, they have Bailey cheap again as well 5/97 so once again it will be left to Haddin and the tail to get a decent score for the Aussies.

So far this series the fall of the fifth wicket in the first innings has been -

100 from 295,

257 from 570,

143 from 385,

112 from 204.

While the second Innings, when there has been no real pressure, it has been -

294 from 7/401 declared,

3/132 declared,

331 from 6/369 declared,

2/231 declared.

Once again Haddin has come in with a "blazing bat"! Rumour has it he's retiring after this Series! Brought his daughter onto the ground at the opening ceremony! Maybe ...... hopefully not!

Once again Haddin has come in with a "blazing bat"! Rumour has it he's retiring after this Series! Brought his daughter onto the ground at the opening ceremony! Maybe ...... hopefully not!

We will miss him, especially in South Africa in February.:D

Good news is that Haddin is staying for another 18 months apparently.

Bad news is Aussies all out.

Good news that they got 326 and then have the poms at 1/8.

Another interesting day tomorrow I would think.:D

Thank heavens for the air-conditioning yesterday! It was a stinker and no reprieve last night either! Another hot day today forecast so I'll be forced to stay inside to watch the cricket again in front of the cooler! My grandson is the only one of my family that shares my passion (but he's away during the school holidays) so I'm left to my own devices much of each summer! :D

Thank heavens for the air-conditioning yesterday! It was a stinker and no reprieve last night either! Another hot day today forecast so I'll be forced to stay inside to watch the cricket again in front of the cooler! My grandson is the only one of my family that shares my passion (but he's away during the school holidays) so I'm left to my own devices much of each summer! :D

What a shame:rolleyes:

I have too many thing that need to be done but I am sure I will get a chance to sit for the afternoon session.:D

What can I say? At one stage England was 5 for 23!!! :eek: It's almost too embarassing to watch them playing like a bunch of amateurs!

I'm taking the afternoon off to do something INTERESTING! This match is no longer that!

What can I say? At one stage England was 5 for 23!!! :eek: It's almost too embarassing to watch them playing like a bunch of amateurs!

I'm taking the afternoon off to do something INTERESTING! This match is no longer that!

I am just about to settle in for the arvo, hopefully there will still be some interesting cricket to watch yet.:D

They are currently 6/69.:D

All out for 155, the Aussies have a lead of 171, and are looking to add to the pain. If they put on a quick 250 by lunch tomorrow, this game may be over by the afternoon.:D

Well, with tomorrow being "pink" day at the SCG with all it's associated events, the organisers will be hoping that it's a full day's cricket! Not too likely I'm thinking! :confused:

The uncertainty on how many days a match goes for plays havoc with budgeting. I know in Queensland, we never budgeted for day 5 of a test match, but a 3 day match is never a good thing. Ch9 and the catering people don't like it for a start.

Of course there are many expenses that have to be committed for the term: Public transport, some aspects of security and other wage costs apply irrespective. In truth there is no money from simply bums on seats...they cover expenses to an extent...corporate revenue is where a good match can turn into a cash cow. That said rain can also play havoc with the financial outcome of matches... even if insurance is in place.

I also worry about having ashes matches too often... it may well kill off the attraction. Cricket is very cyclic in it's appeal ... who goes to matches against Zimbabwe or even NZ ? But if Aust is playing England nearly every year then those matches may well end up being just ho hum.

In the meantime...bring on the whitewash :D

cheers

Well, with tomorrow being "pink" day at the SCG with all it's associated events, the organisers will be hoping that it's a full day's cricket! Not too likely I'm thinking! :confused:

Aussies are sitting on 4/140 at stumps, with a lead of 311, so you are most likely right. I think the Aussies will try and give rogers a chance at his hundred and also depending on Bailey/Haddin, push for 400-450 run lead.:D

The uncertainty on how many days a match goes for plays havoc with budgeting. I know in Queensland, we never budgeted for day 5 of a test match, but a 3 day match is never a good thing. Ch9 and the catering people don't like it for a start.

Of course there are many expenses that have to be committed for the term: Public transport, some aspects of security and other wage costs apply irrespective. In truth there is no money from simply bums on seats...they cover expenses to an extent...corporate revenue is where a good match can turn into a cash cow. That said rain can also play havoc with the financial outcome of matches... even if insurance is in place.

I also worry about having ashes matches too often... it may well kill off the attraction. Cricket is very cyclic in it's appeal ... who goes to matches against Zimbabwe or even NZ ? But if Aust is playing England nearly every year then those matches may well end up being just ho hum.

In the meantime...bring on the whitewash :D

cheers

I think it is just a scheduling anomaly that the ashes were played so recently, it did go for nearly 3 years prior to that series. They are supposed to be played every second year alternating between countries, but with World cups in ODIs and in Twenty/20s it makes touring scheduling harder and harder. Bring on the whitewash.:D

I think it is just a scheduling anomaly that the ashes were played so recently, it did go for nearly 3 years prior to that series. They are supposed to be played every second year alternating between countries, but with World cups in ODIs and in Twenty/20s it makes touring scheduling harder and harder. Bring on the whitewash.:D

I can assure it is no anomaly....it is greed.

The Future Tours Program (FTP) is established by CA, in conjunction with the ICC many years in advance...I was budgeting for this year back in 2008 !

Sure the World Cups etc have in impact, but they are all part of the mix. One irony is that Cricket makes more $$$s out of a tour by India than any other country...TV rights are king ! :D

cheers

And think of all that health food of a nation, like pies, sausage rolls, chiko rolls, hot dogs, etc, that would have to be thrown out if the Test finished in 3 days.

If the adds are to believed, all we eat is fried chicken and drink VB.:eek:

Capt Cook looks a shattered man. Drop him, put Stokes in as an opener and Belly as Captain Bell.

England play the Prime Minister's XI on Tuesday in Canberra, they should try something like that out then Les.

We could let star all-rounder Ellyse Perry Capt. our mob for the day! :D

Cook could get a day of intense therapy, or spend the day looking for a cruise for when he gets home he will have plenty of spare time on his hands. :rolleyes:

With his luck he'd wind up on a salvage of the Costa Concordia! :eek:

:cool: