Cruising with food allergies

broncorckcrwlr

Our grandson Brody is extremely allergic to fish, shellfish etc. He can't even eat ff cooked in the same oil as fish. How hard is it going to be to keep him safe and keep him fed and happy?

As long as you notify the cruiseline of the allergy, you should have no problem. And make sure you let your dinner server know, also. (although they should already have a heads up, if you've told the cruiseline.)

you must contact the special needs department of the cruiseline BEFORE you sail. and also you will need to stop by the dining room when you arrive to make sure the Maitre D' is aware,

someone can walk you through the buffet lines to show what is and is not safe. for MDR you will possibly have to order his meals a day ahead.

same goes for kid's club programming as sometimes they also provide a meal or snack.

I am extremely allergic to shell fish. I often have to do a lot of explaining. Got into trouble recently in a fine restaurant when the rice was cooked in the water used to boil shrimp.

I advise being very open and the issue and ask many questions and demand the correct answers.

Please be very, very careful if you choose to eat in the buffet. Many times I have seen passengers cross-contaminating dishes by borrowing a serving spoon from another dish. I also have seen staff use the same serving spoons for different dishes (i.e., same scoop for different types of ice cream). If I had a severe food allergy, I would not be comfortable eating in the buffet.

You MUST contact the "special needs" dept. of your cruiseline PRIOR to cruising...do it now. They are excellent with allergies, but they MUST know in advance!

Once you've informed them, all will be good. Your waitstaff will know about the allergies and take great pains to accomodate your special diet needs.

I have an allergy to shellfish and I usually just look out for myself, but I would definitely mention it to your waitstaff and head waiter. I did say something on our last cruise to our waiter when he was making his recommendations and I said I won't be eating any seafood (I don't care for fish anyway, so no big deal) and mentioned my allergy to shrimp. The waiter must have immediately told the head waiter, who was at our table right away.

The closest I had a problem on a cruise was at the buffet a few cruises ago. I had served myself some stir fry. But when I got to the table, I noticed the little pink things in it, and pushed the plate aside and got something different. On my end-of-cruise comment card, I said that all items at the buffet should be labelled so that one doesn't accidentally take something they're allergic too.

I remember commenting on one thread (can't remember what the original topic was but I think there was something about behavior in the buffet) when someone mentioned always replacing the serving utensil in the bin, and I emphasized to make sure you put it back in the proper bin because of cross-contamination. Someone's comments made me feel they weren't getting it so I had to explain the danger.

You should also talk with the entire children's staff (just telling one won't necessarily be enough), but many cruiselines do not allow food in the kids' areas. When my daughter was turning 7 on a cruise, she was getting a nice little (very rich) chocolate cake from Princess and I asked one of the counselors if it was all right to bring it there so she can party with her new friends. I was told they don't allow food (not only cleanliness issues, but also because of allergies) so we enjoyed it at dinner and then stashed the rest in our cabin fridge for enjoying later on.

Exactly, don't be shy to explain the case into detail and don't be afraid to make requests/ask questions. As this concerns the health of somebody, I can't imagine they won't go all the way to do whatever they can to make sure Brody will have no problems with his allergies.

DD is allergic to peanuts and treenuts. We travel with a group that, combined, has allergies to peanuts, treenuts, dairy, MSG, egg whites, chocolate and shellfish.

On galley tours the Matre'd has explained how the special foods are prepared, in their own area.

Don't need to tell them ahead of time because shellfish is a common allergy. Even if you should advise them ahead of time you should see the Maitre' D around 1pm at embarkation.

The first night will be a bit tough but ask what he can eat, they do know.

Starting the first night a hostess will take his order for the next day. Order what he wants or thinks he wants.

On the buffet ask the Lido Chef what is safe to eat. On rare occasion is there a shrimp dish on the either the hot or cold buffet.

We avoid the Mongolian Wok. Sometimes there is shrimp and the pots might get a swish between uses. The lids and utensils do not.

The kid's club will have an allergy form to fill out. Usually kid friendly food is served--chix strips, pizza, fries, smoothies, snacks etc.