Vermouth?

trixiee

I had the same question and asked it in the online chat on the HAL website. Here is the transcript.

You are now speaking with Courtney!

Customer: Hello

Customer: I sent a request and have not recieved an answer

Customer: Ref: message tracking number 887168

I have a question about wine being brought on board.

Red vermouth is fortified wine. Does this meet the HAL wine policy for bringing wine on board?

Courtney: We are working through all of our emails, I'm sorry you haven't received a response yet. You are allowed to bring that onboard.

Courtney: Yes, we do allow passengers to bring as much wine, champagne, soft drinks and even their own bottled water on our ships, and there is no limit! However, we do not allow beer (even non-alcoholic) or other alcoholic beverages onboard. There will be an added corkage fee of $18 per bottle if wine is consumed in the dining room.

Customer: Thank you for your help.

Courtney: No Problem, Is there anything else I can help you with Today?

Customer: No thanks

Courtney: Thank you for contacting us. It was my pleasure to assist you today, and I hope that I have been able to answer all of your questions .If you have any more questions always feel free to call or chat with us, again my name is Courtney and Have a Wonderful day!

Thank you for using Live Help. You may now close this window.

When we take Vermouth onboard, I take a copy of the transcript with me just in case. We have taken Vermouth 3 times since and never been challenged.

Good Luck

Walter

3 Star Mariner

Edited by Wallywagon

Speaking of port wine.....

I wonder what happened for Surgergirle on her cruise.

She was upset they were making her purchase a case of her port choices rather than the bottle or two she usually ordered.

She hasn't posted in a while and wonder if she was finally able to order the few bottles she wanted.

I had the same question and asked it in the online chat on the HAL website. Here is the transcript.

You are now speaking with Courtney!

Customer: Hello

Customer: I sent a request and have not recieved an answer

Customer: Ref: message tracking number 887168

I have a question about wine being brought on board.

Red vermouth is fortified wine. Does this meet the HAL wine policy for bringing wine on board?

Courtney: We are working through all of our emails, I'm sorry you haven't received a response yet. You are allowed to bring that onboard.

Courtney: Yes, we do allow passengers to bring as much wine, champagne, soft drinks and even their own bottled water on our ships, and there is no limit! However, we do not allow beer (even non-alcoholic) or other alcoholic beverages onboard. There will be an added corkage fee of $18 per bottle if wine is consumed in the dining room.

Customer: Thank you for your help.

Courtney: No Problem, Is there anything else I can help you with Today?

Customer: No thanks

Courtney: Thank you for contacting us. It was my pleasure to assist you today, and I hope that I have been able to answer all of your questions .If you have any more questions always feel free to call or chat with us, again my name is Courtney and Have a Wonderful day!

Thank you for using Live Help. You may now close this window.

When we take Vermouth onboard, I take a copy of the transcript with me just in case. We have taken Vermouth 3 times since and never been challenged.

Good Luck

Walter

3 Star Mariner

Thanks, Walter. I have pasted it to my Travel file, and it will travel with my next boarding pass!

As has been pointed out frequently in the past, ultimately it comes down to the decision of the security personnel on duty at a given port on a given day. They are given clear instructions not to allow anything but wine aboard, and if a bottle of port or vermouth doesn't look like a bottle of wine to them, it's not getting through.

FWIW, the wine industry clearly differentiates between wines and modified wines, so claiming that vermouth and similar wine-based products are simply wines is a bit of a specious argument in my view.

We have brought on port wine on most of our cruises. I have even shared some on a few occasions with the Cellar Master with a plate of cheese from the Pinnacle Grill and once gave a bottle to our Pinnacle Grill wine steward as a tip because we had talked about it and I knew he would enjoy it.

We have brought on port wine on most of our cruises. I have even shared some on a few occasions with the Cellar Master with a plate of cheese from the Pinnacle Grill and once gave a bottle to our Pinnacle Grill wine steward as a tip because we had talked about it and I knew he would enjoy it.

You got lucky.

Other people have been refused.

Never knew Vermouth was considered a wine.

Yes; considered a "fortified" wine because herbs and spices are added, but is basically a wine. I enjoy it solely mixed in Martinis and Manhattans but some folks like it straight or on the rocks. I can't believe some misguided security person would confiscate vermouth or sherry. I have never been questioned and even purchased a bottle of port in Funchal as gift for a HAL staffer.

We've carried vermouth on board for every one of our 4 cruises in the last 2 years. We had hoped to order a bottle on board to go with our bourbon, but a bottle of vermouth was going to cost $56. (We pay $4.50 here.)

We asked at a couple liquor stores and they assured us that vermouth is wine, and no one at embarkation has ever challenged us.

Yes; considered a "fortified" wine because herbs and spices are added, but is basically a wine. I enjoy it solely mixed in Martinis and Manhattans but some folks like it straight or on the rocks. I can't believe some misguided security person would confiscate vermouth or sherry. I have never been questioned and even purchased a bottle of port in Funchal as gift for a HAL staffer.

It's not the herbs and spices that make it fortified, it is because distilled spirits are added. That is the most economical way to fortify, there are other ways the alcohol content of some wines are increased, many in fact. Ice wine, late harvest, yeast strains that don't attenuate in high sugar/alcohols, addition of fermentables in stages. The field is quite fascinating, just study the way the Chinese developed rice and sorghum high alcohol "wines". And then there is the American barley wine with percentages of alcohol approaching 18%. Okay, OT and TMI but I find it interesting.

Edited by reefisher

Can I bring a bottle of vermouth on as part of my wine allotment?

I didn't see where I could purchase a bottle on board.

TIA!

On my bottles of vermouth it says vinted & bottled by Gallo vinyards so I'm assuming it's OK & considered wine..

This according to Wikapedia "Several wine grapes, including Clairette blanche, Piquepoul, Catarratto and Trebbiano, are generally used as the base ingredients for vermouths. From these grapes, a low-alcohol white wine is produced by vermouth manufacturers."

Vermouth is fortified wine and this phone rep said it was allowed. Yet they say port wine is NOT allowed because it is fortified. Go figure.

I don't see anywhere that HAL'S wine policy states that fortified wine &/or Port is not permitted? We have friends who drink only Port wine.. The only place I've seen it is on CC where it has been stated that some misguided Security people have confiscated it

Maybe we could get Copper 10-8 to weigh in here & actually tell us what their instructions from headquarters is..

Cheers..Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

I was also wondering if I could bring a bottle of Dubonnet on the ship. It's also a specialty wine with an alcohol content of 15%. Not sure if that is what the cruiseline looks at when they decide if you can bring it on the ship. How does this alcohol content compare to vermouth or port.

Edited by OVgirl