Why Escargot?

KiwiFunCruiser

Is it available in Blu? Wasn't on the menu spring of 2013.:confused:

Don't think so. I think the whole drowning food in butter thing doesn't fit with Blu's clean cuisine concept.

I fell in love with escargot on a cruise too. On the last night I got three orders all to myself. It's like lobster in melted butter, except a slightly different flavor and a silkier texture. Oh wait, I guess that's why Qsine does a Lobster Escargot.

On one of our cruises, the man at an adjacent table had a standing request of 2 escargo orders each night, even when it wasn't on the menu. Personally, the concept of eating snails, garlic butter notwithstanding, totally gags me, lol.

I do eat sea food, but only if it's deep fried and disguised, which means not on cruises, except crab cakes. I have had fish and chips now and then for lunch.

KiwiFunCruiser--where in NZ do you live? The last cruise DH and I did together was Aust/NZ on Mercury Jan. '08. We sailed from Sydney to Melbourne and Hobart. After passing through the fjords, we stopped in Dunedin, Christchurch, Wellington and Tauranga. It was a great cruise! Just wish it weren't so far away, lol.

On one of our cruises, the man at an adjacent table had a standing request of 2 escargo orders each night, even when it wasn't on the menu. Personally, the concept of eating snails, garlic butter notwithstanding, totally gags me, lol.

I do eat sea food, but only if it's deep fried and disguised, which means not on cruises, except crab cakes. I have had fish and chips now and then for lunch.

KiwiFunCruiser--where in NZ do you live? The last cruise DH and I did together was Aust/NZ on Mercury Jan. '08. We sailed from Sydney to Melbourne and Hobart. After passing through the fjords, we stopped in Dunedin, Christchurch, Wellington and Tauranga. It was a great cruise! Just wish it weren't so far away, lol.

Was this in Blu?

LOL! I was meeting my future inlaws when I kinda had no choice than to eat the escargot. Turns out, it's quite yummy. The second course was hard to get down...beef tartar.

I was in BLU in October on an M-class ship and we were able to order appetizers from the MDR's every day menu so we were able to get escargot daily in BLU. They appeared on the menu and were the same "every day" apps as MDR. We tried to order off the MDR entrees (not every day items) and were unable to.

We live in Auckland, so we don't have far to go the ship. The USA is far away as we always wanted to go there and cruise from there. Well looks like I will have to give the escargot a go.:)

I was in BLU in October on an M-class ship and we were able to order appetizers from the MDR's every day menu so we were able to get escargot daily in BLU. They appeared on the menu and were the same "every day" apps as MDR. We tried to order off the MDR entrees (not every day items) and were unable to.

It is encouraging that the waiters in BLU will accommodate guests with what they would like to order.

YAY!!! Happy dance! :)

You must have been seated at the table next to me! I always have a standing order for two servings whenever escargot are available.:D

Great photo I saw this on your thread the other day and that was one of the reasons I decided to ask about them. Thank you.:)

Love the escargot, would have them nearly every night if I could. They do not always have them and it is replaced by Mushrooms stuffed with cheese. Looks very similar, and while it is nice, is not quite the same.:D

I love escargot - had them for the first time almost 30 years ago when I was in Paris at 21 - felt like it was something I had to try -- I loved them then and love them to this day. I will eat them on land - but they do have to cooked properly and ate them almost every night on Connie this summer on our cruise. Hoping they have them in 7 days when we cruise on the Silhouette. As for whether someone will like them - I am the only one in my family who eats them - my mom hates them but likes to soak up the sauce and only one of my sons has tried them - I thought he would like them as he eats sushi and calamari and lobster, but you never know

Sharon

Fresh from the garden? Recipes please.:D

I wish! No, we buy them in a can. Escargots can be very, very chewy if not prepared properly. The trick is to boil them first - I believe she uses chicken bouillon with white wine and shallots - before transferring them to the escargot plates with the garlic butter for final cooking in the oven.

How do they compare to calamari?

Fried calamari is very different; grilled calamari is fairly similar texture wise, but calamari has more flavor on it's own, so does not need to be slathered in butter and garlic - but typically is served with a much lighter sauce.

The OP's original question has no answer. DH loves the disgusting snails w/garlic butter while I love oysters which she finds equally disgusting. Obviously my taste buds work better, but that's another story. My son used to hate scallops and referred to them as eyeballs. Today, the more exotic and unheard of, the more likely he is to use it at his restaurant.

Try something new or don't. If you like it you may form a wonderful new food relationship. If you don't, no loss and it didn't cost anything. I remember my father saying "that's why Jello makes 9 delicious flavors". I guess that tells you how long ago that was.