Why Escargot?

KiwiFunCruiser

Hi, I have never tried on land or at sea, did not think I would like them. Now after seeing so many people raving over them I might give them a try on our upcoming cruise.

So what is the draw card for Celebrity Escargot, and why will I like them?. Is it the way they are prepared etc?.

No idea why you will like them, or why not. The reason I Love them is the texture and preparation - the butter and garlic mix. I use the bread to finish off the butter. Fantastic. So glad they are on the daily menu.

If you want to try them, a cruise is the place to do it. If you don't like them, you ask your waitstaff for something else. I think a cruise is a perfect place to try things you'd not try when you pay at a restaurant.

The time to experiment! I order many items I haven't tried before. Enjoy expanding your palate.....or enjoy your tried-and-true.

Den

Edited by Denny01

Hi, I have never tried on land or at sea, did not think I would like them. Now after seeing so many people raving over them I might give them a try on our upcoming cruise.

So what is the draw card for Celebrity Escargot, and why will I like them?. Is it the way they are prepared etc?.

One of the things I love about cruising is having the opportunity to try food without having to pay for it. If you don't like the escargots you can order something else. ;);)

Not only extremely tasty, but not seen that often on land, at least in my dining circles (i.e. I haven't seen any McEscargot yet).

The perception as a luxury item just adds to desirability. Remember, lobster, bacon and wings were all considered undesirable at certain times when they were in large supply.

If garlic improves the flavour, then they must be worse than I thought. :D

(I can't stand garlic. One ship had a chef who put garlic in just about everything, sometimes advertised on the menu, sometimes secret. Even the Cream of Tomato Soup had it in. We started eating more often in the buffet in self-defence. Still, each to his own.)

Denny's right; the best place to try them is on a cruise, so you can get them replaced if you don't like them. To. Me, they're like eating a slug.:eek: the one I ate discreetly went into my napkin.:eek:

As escargot is a snail, it probably took 10-15min for it to crawl into your napkin, but I'm sure it was discreet.

And if you don't like garlic......forget it! There is more than a bit of garlic. I eat them so I can wander the ship late at night and not get bit.

Den

Edited by Denny01

If you want to try them, a cruise is the place to do it. If you don't like them, you ask your waitstaff for something else. I think a cruise is a perfect place to try things you'd not try when you pay at a restaurant.

The time to experiment! I order many items I haven't tried before. Enjoy expanding your palate.....or enjoy your tried-and-true.

Den

Thank's Den,

Sounds good. Iv'e done the Frogs legs, Gator, Kangaroo, Snake and Ostrich mainly at show tasting venues, so I should be OK with these. I like the sound of the garlic butter.

Have a Great Christmas.

Like OP, I wouldn't order escargots on land either. However, a cruise ship is a great place to try new food! On Celebrity, escargots are available every night.

I had escargots on the Silhouette and they were tasty.

Great photo I saw this on your thread the other day and that was one of the reasons I decided to ask about them. Thank you.:)

I love them. What I do to prolong the enjoyment is eat the escargot from one of the little cups. Then tear a piece of bread and deposit in the warm puddle of delicious melted garlic butter recently vacated by the delicious mollusk. Repeat until all the escargot are gone. Then go back and eat the pieces of bread that have been soaking up the delicious butter.