Favorite Port

Chmielel

What is your favorite, not including your home port, embarkation or debarkation port and why? My favor embarkation port is New Orleans because there are lots of things to see and do, there is good food and an interesting culture. My favorite debarkation port is Singapore. Once again good food and it also has an interesting culture with the addition of wonderful shopping.

OK, so the question is our favorite port (not including our home port) for Embarkation or Debarkation ... not our favorite port of call.

We like FLL because it's the "devil we know best" and we can drive rather than fly. :)

LuLu

~~~~

Well, since you have specifically excluded my home port of NOLA, I would have to say Quebec City. It's a tough call between it and Montreal though. Both are great cities and have much to offer, and when I'm in one I miss things in the other. But I think the Chateau Frontenac, and the Funnicular tip the balance to Quebec City.

What is your favorite, not including your home port, embarkation or debarkation port and why? My favor embarkation port is New Orleans because there are lots of things to see and do, there is good food and an interesting culture. My favorite debarkation port is Singapore. Once again good food and it also has an interesting culture with the addition of wonderful shopping.

Castries, St Lucia. I got to meet, accidentally the Mayor while taking a short cut through the little fishing area that is between the port area and the downtown area. And because I took the time to respond when he asked me a few questions regarding my rental scooter, never once did he tell me who he was, I was then invited to meet "The Wise Man of St Lucia" who told me just who I'd been chatting with:) It was an amazing experience that this old man would take the time to chat with me and tell me the history of his island:)

Joanie

I would have to say Barcelona...but, then again, we really enjoyed Naples for the chance to do the Amalfi Coast. We were spoiled on our recent Med cruise...we LOVED every port we visited. The Spanish cities were particularly charming...and nothing beats being in Florence to see the David.

Have to agree that Venice is a must. On our only cruise, a B2B with about 17 ports (some repeats), we were asleep during most arrivals and otherwise preoccupied during many departures (DW usually would take nap between shore excursions and the MDR).

We have been to far more then 100 ports worldwide and the OPs question is actually difficult. Our favorites would include Venice, Istanbul, and Hong Kong...all of which are fascinating cities with port locations that are quite convenient. Of those 3 I think we would have to put Istanbul at the top.

Hank

I think half of us have answered the question what is your favorite port for embarkation/debark and the others are responding to what is your favorite port? :D
The question was confusing to me too. I read it as
What is your favorite (not including your home port) embarkation or debarkation port and why?
That said, my favorite embarkation ports are Barcelona and Venice. Both are fascinating cities where excursions are not needed.

Personally, I have been delighted to read answers to all the questions, the one I understood and the other interpretations! They have all given me new info.

I loved Barcelona.....so happy a cruise just happened to finish there. We spent 3 days and loved it before taking the train to Cordoba and Madrid. As for a port for embarkation, we like San Diego.....such a lovely, easy city to visit and walk along the waterfront.

Having lived near NYC, we would never think of it as a favorite....but I guess that is always how it is with your "hometown." I grew up in Niagara Falls and as a kid we only visited the Falls when out of town visitors came to admire it. Now I realize how much we took it for granted.

I hope people keep adding to the lists!

Barbara M. In NH

What is your favorite, not including your home port, embarkation or debarkation port and why?

I didn't read it properly the 1st time! Our favorite embarkation port is Barcelona. Would be fine disembarking there, too! Love that city!