Medallion Lapel Pins... All Gone and 1-5 Star Lapel Pins...

IRL_Joanie

Hard to believe that there is a 144 thread post on some silly pins. Seems to me that on an importance scale of 1 to 10, this merits a negative 3.

DON

It was important to the people that posted. Thanks to this 144 post thread I was able to get credit for past cruises that I had written off to pre-Carnival.

As Morticia Addams said "What is reality for the spider is chaos to the fly". As has been said many times in another thread that resurfaces often- If it's not important to you skip the thread- really quite easy.

Edited by frankc98376

cbr633

Thanks for your imput on this thread.

While I stand firmly besides Sail on this topic, please let me say that I do understand your attitude towards the benefits of the Mariner program (your post 94). Until a pax hits the higher number of points (200) the rewards are not so great. Once at the 4 and 5 star level, they are considered by some to be quite reasonable.

That said, your description of the "hardware" for Mariners as "ostentatious" and of pax wearing them as "showing off" (your post 95) speak clearly to your propensities to generalities.

Thanks again and may you hit 5 star soon!

Actually, I wasn't writing in generalities. From Webster's dictionary:

ostentatious: designed to impress or attract notice, admiration, or attention. This is one of the very reasons that Sail continues to state as to why she wears the pins.

Proud: Feeling pleasurable satisfaction over an act, possession, quality, or relationship by which one measures one's stature or self-worth. Measuring your self worth by the amount that you consume can be seen by others as "showing off."

As you can see, I was not writing in generalities, I was actually using the correct definitions of the words.

I completely agree with Silver to Gold.. I was insulted by your post 95, but was not going to get into the fray..However, your above post changed my mind only because you are attempting to make excuses for your insulting posts by using one meaning from Webster's Dictionary to suit your purpose & to make your posts appear benign.. Your posts were not benign. They were denigrating to those who happen to enjoy wearing their medallions or pins to the Mariner Reception! :(

Following are definitions from other dictionaries: From the WORLD Dictionary: Quote os·ten·ta·tious [os-ten-tey-shuhs, -tuhn-] Show IPA

adjective

1. characterized by or given to pretentious or conspicuous show in an attempt to impress others: an ostentatious dresser.

2. (of actions, manner, qualities exhibited, etc.) intended to attract notice: Lady Bountiful's ostentatious charity.

Origin: 1650–60; ostentat(ion) + -ious

Synonyms 1. See grandiose. Unquote

Quote Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2013.

Cite This Source | Link To ostentatious

Collins World English Dictionary - ostentatious (ˌɒstɛnˈteɪʃəs) — adj

characterized by pretentious, showy, or vulgar display

ostentatiously Unquote

Quote Proud: Synonyms

1. contented, self-satisfied. 2. overbearing, self-important, disdainful, imperious, presumptuous. Proud, arrogant, haughty imply a consciousness of, or a belief in, one's superiority in some respect. Proud implies sensitiveness, lofty self-respect, or jealous preservation of one's dignity, station, and the like. It may refer to an affectionate admiration of or a justifiable pride concerning someone else: proud of his son. Arrogant applies to insolent or overbearing behavior, arising from an exaggerated belief in one's importance: arrogant rudeness. Haughty implies lofty reserve and confident, often disdainful assumption of superiority over others: the haughty manner of the butler in the play. 6. noble, imposing, splendid. Unquote

Edited by serendipity1499

I completely agree with Silver to Gold.. I was insulted by your post 95, but was not going to get into the fray..However, your above post changed my mind only because you are attempting to make excuses for your insulting posts by using one meaning from Webster's Dictionary to suit your purpose & to make your posts appear benign.. Your posts were not benign. They were denigrating to those who happen to enjoy wearing their medallions or pins to the Mariner Reception! :(

Your attempt to inform me as to the reasons for my choice of words was not only patronizing, but also incorrect. My goal was to provide clarity to the correct use of the words, and I do thank-you for further demonstrating that the words were used correctly. Bravo.

It is clear to me that by expressing an opinion on HAL's customer reward program that is different from others' opinion has struck a raw nerve. That I can accept and I can accept that we should agree to disagree.

But for those of you who find my choice of words insulting, please allow me to note:

- I find being called names by Sail insulting. This is indicative of bullying behaviour and mean spiritedness,

- I find being informed to the reasons for my motivation by serendipity to be insulting. I feel it is patronizing and demeaning behaviour.

why would the Marketing Dept/Mariner Society decide to stop issuing lapel pins along with the Medallions.. all it does is tick people off.. the people they want to keep because they keep on spending money for more cruises... the cost of that lapel pin is so cheap--I would say 'pennies-cheap' ..

they hand mucho-many similar lapel pins out at Trivia and every other activity for prizes...why would they do that... another HAL debacle where the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing... guess that can go along with removing the Seaview Pool on the Veendam and Rotterdam

we have our 700-day Platinum lapel pins.. guess we were one of the last to get them

why would the Marketing Dept/Mariner Society decide to stop issuing lapel pins along with the Medallions.. all it does is tick people off.. the people they want to keep because they keep on spending money for more cruises... the cost of that lapel pin is so cheap--I would say 'pennies-cheap' ..

Remember, it was intended to replace the recognition program of a medallion with small pin entirely when the star system, and pin, was introduced. It was only due to an outcry from Mariners that the medallions were reinstated; the pins were replaced by the *-pins.

The older style pins were smaller, and were more suitable as lapel pins, and that's one reason that many of us who have been around a while prefer them.

The Medallion Pins vs. the Star Mariner pins are smaller, more attractive (IMO) and less damaging to garments. I find the post on the Star Mariner pins to poke big holes in clothing. We never wore our Four Star Pins and will not put our Five Star Pins on a nice jacket lapel.

they hand mucho-many similar lapel pins out at Trivia and every other activity for prizes...why would they do that... another HAL debacle where the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing... guess that can go along with removing the Seaview Pool on the Veendam and Rotterdam

we have our 700-day Platinum lapel pins.. guess we were one of the last to get them

I think the Mariner Society wants to have one set of pins only.

So, we get Medallions for the number of days sailed and the Star Pins for the points system.

This should be clear and less confusing. Although I prefer the medallion pins, I do think this makes sense.

Following are definitions from other dictionaries: From the WORLD Dictionary: Quote os·ten·ta·tious [os-ten-tey-shuhs, -tuhn-] Show IPA

adjective

1. characterized by or given to pretentious or conspicuous show in an attempt to impress others: an ostentatious dresser.

2. (of actions, manner, qualities exhibited, etc.) intended to attract notice: Lady Bountiful's ostentatious charity.

Origin: 1650–60; ostentat(ion) + -ious

Synonyms 1. See grandiose. Unquote

Quote Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2013.

Cite This Source | Link To ostentatious

Collins World English Dictionary - ostentatious (ˌɒstɛnˈteɪʃəs) — adj

characterized by pretentious, showy, or vulgar display

ostentatiously Unquote

Quote Proud: Synonyms

1. contented, self-satisfied. 2. overbearing, self-important, disdainful, imperious, presumptuous. Proud, arrogant, haughty imply a consciousness of, or a belief in, one's superiority in some respect. Proud implies sensitiveness, lofty self-respect, or jealous preservation of one's dignity, station, and the like. It may refer to an affectionate admiration of or a justifiable pride concerning someone else: proud of his son. Arrogant applies to insolent or overbearing behavior, arising from an exaggerated belief in one's importance: arrogant rudeness. Haughty implies lofty reserve and confident, often disdainful assumption of superiority over others: the haughty manner of the butler in the play. 6. noble, imposing, splendid. Unquote

Serendipity:

Thank for the support! Appreciate it.

I think the Mariner Society wants to have one set of pins only.

So, we get Medallions for the number of days sailed and the Star Pins for the points system.

This should be clear and less confusing. Although I prefer the medallion pins, I do think this makes sense.

We were told by several Hotel Directors the Medallion Mariner Program will end when they run out of Medallions. It has been a while since we were told this and the program continues. I do, however, wonder if perhaps the pins ran out before the Medallions and it won't be long when there will only be the Star Mariner Program?

We were told by several Hotel Directors the Medallion Mariner Program will end when they run out of Medallions. It has been a while since we were told this and the program continues. I do, however, wonder if perhaps the pins ran out before the Medallions and it won't be long when there will only be the Star Mariner Program?

Sail

Maybe, but I really think HAL is trying to rationalize the program and have one pin being awarded. Makes things a lot more straightforward.

Happy New Year!

Sail

Maybe, but I really think HAL is trying to rationalize the program and have one pin being awarded. Makes things a lot more straightforward.

Happy New Year!

That does make sense and is entirely possible.

Happy, Healthy New Year to all!!!!

You seem to have forgotten about your previous promise :)

I forget lots of things these days. :D

It would be great if that was the only thing I forgot this week . :shrug: :D I'd likely celebrate.

Edited by sail7seas

Remember, it was intended to replace the recognition program of a medallion with small pin entirely when the star system, and pin, was introduced. It was only due to an outcry from Mariners that the medallions were reinstated; the pins were replaced by the *-pins.

The older style pins were smaller, and were more suitable as lapel pins, and that's one reason that many of us who have been around a while prefer them.

I prefer wearing my 700 pin rather than the medallion..same goes for when I had the 500 pin ..and the others before that