"Salute to the chef?

uglybutgoodbakery

What is the deal with the ridiculous "salute to the chef" we had on our last formal night? They turned all the lights out on us as soon as we got our food, played loud parade music, whooped and hollered for 15 minutes while the waiters disappeared so they could carry the candles around the room and clap. By the time the lights went back on, our food was ice cold and we were really ticked off. I couldn't see the lobster on my plate to get it out of the shell.

Do they do this every cruise? And people talk about Carnival being cheesy?

Edited by pattipoopidoo

Yes. It's an old shipboard tradition. Were you in Select Dining?

Usually it is timed so that those in Traditional Dining get their entree, and the salute to the staff takes place before dessert.

If in Select Dining, the timing might be different for you. Have never seen it so dark that you couldn't continue eating, though.

What is the deal with the ridiculous "salute to the chef" we had on our last formal night? They turned all the lights out on us as soon as we got our food, played loud parade music, whooped and hollered for 15 minutes while the waiters disappeared so they could carry the candles around the room and clap. By the time the lights went back on, our food was ice cold and we were really ticked off. I couldn't see the lobster on my plate to get it out of the shell.

Ice Cold? :eek: Did you ask for a red hot one once your waiter returned.

I hope the rest of the cruise worked out for you. :rolleyes:

So sorry you were offended by this! It is a tradition on Celebrity and is enjoyed by many and a way to thank the folks who work so hard to make the dining room meals a pleasure. It has always been at desert time, so, as stated by cruisestitch, perhaps you were in Select dining and were just receiving your entree?

We did have select dining, so that must be it. It was so dark I couldn't see my son's face across the table from me, or hear him talking to me. We felt like we got all dressed up to eat cold food.

I think saluting a chef (who is getting paid quite well to do the job) with such pompousness is unnecessary. Now, if I was going to salute someone, it would be the cabin stewards, or the people who do the laundry, or the kitchen hands who sweat daily to make the chef look good -- THOSE are the people who deserve, but don't get, a parade. :rolleyes:

Nope. We got up and walked out. And yes. Ice cold, because it was barely lukewarm when it arrived.

I've had hundreds of experiences on Celebrity -- some good, some bad, but I would never come on to cruise critic and complain that my lobster was cold, especially since all you had to do was send it back, and they would make it "right."

Now, if that was just the straw that broke the camel's back, that might be another thing -- how was the rest of your cruise?

I've had hundreds of experiences on Celebrity -- some good, some bad, but I would never come on to cruise critic and complain that my lobster was cold, especially since all you had to do was send it back, and they would make it "right."

Now, if that was just the straw that broke the camel's back, that might be another thing -- how was the rest of your cruise?

Ditto! Was just thinking same thing....the Chef probably really enjoys his moment to be recognized..... We honor our steward and waiter with extra tips....which I'm sure they appreciate too

Edited by barbatkins

While I am not quite as bothered as the OP by this display, I am not a fan of singing/dancing waiters and find the event to fall squarely in the cheesy/tacky category. My past few cruises I have not spent much time in the MDR as I prefer the more upscale ambiance of the specialty venues and do not mind paying the up-charge for an upgraded dining experience. I do not frequent restaurants on land where the staff sings and dances and do not desire such antics while on a vacation - especially on a cruise line that purports to be on the upscale end of the mass market spectrum. That said I do understand that many others find this tradition to be enjoyable; so long as they do not add this to the specialty venues there will be a choice that satisfies everyone's desires on this issue.

While I am not quite as bothered as the OP by this display, I am not a fan of singing/dancing waiters and find the event to fall squarely in the cheesy/tacky category. My past few cruises I have not spent much time in the MDR as I prefer the more upscale ambiance of the specialty venues and do not mind paying the up-charge for an upgraded dining experience. I do not frequent restaurants on land where the staff sings and dances and do not desire such antics while on a vacation - especially on a cruise line that purports to be on the upscale end of the mass market spectrum. That said I do understand that many others find this tradition to be enjoyable; so long as they do not add this to the specialty venues there will be a choice that satisfies everyone's desires on this issue.

Agree!

One more: I agree!

I believe that this kind of post-prandial event, in one form or another, is a longstanding nautical tradition. It may even be related to older traditions of thanking the chef (and by extension his staff) at the great country houses and so on back to renaissance and medieval banquets.

But those probably involved less of a resemblance to the title number in Hello, Dolly!...

As is so often the case, a balanced and thoughtfully worded post is so much more effective than a rant.

Is this not the custom on Princess, the OP's previous line?

On Princess it's only in the Traditional dining room and it's a Baked Alaska parade where we twirl our napkins and applaude the waiters and Junior waiters. They bring out the Chef and some of the kitchen staff but it's definitely about the waiters.

If the OP eats in Princess' version of Select she wouldn't see it at all.

Funny thing is that we sail Celebrity in Aqua class and this doesn't happen in Blu so maybe the OP should try that. ;)

Even though I lean towards gonzo's impression, I can only agree with the above.

I'm not going to rant about someone else's tradition. It's not as though the line is setting out to make you have a miserable experience. There's going to be an explanation for some large scale event.

Can't believe the OP hasn't seen it yet, then

The OP -- me -- has not seen anything like it on Princess.

I paid over $12,000 dollars for this trip. We got lobster twice. On the night that my son's and husband wore their tuxedos and we spent $125 dollars on a bottle of wine (for our 25th Anniversary)....I do not think it was unreasonable that we expected:

A. Our food to be hot

B. A waiter the entire time

B. Lighting to be able to see each other

C. to be fully able to hear my family speak

D. An elegant evening

Instead, we got a tacky Disney Parade honoring a chef who gets apparently honored weekly. And, I am told that I should have just been happy while we waited around to send our food back, when the waiters finally decided to put the candles back on the tables and serve again. And I should be :) happy while we sit and wait for second meals to show up.

Sorry, not happy about it. I would have expected this on Carnival. I do not expect it from a line that touts itself as a cut above the res

Haven't seen this in a while since we have been dining in Blu but I do think people who do a good job need to be commended.

Have never seen food go ice cold at room temperature. I agree cold food is not pleasant when it's supposed to be hot, but it can be sent back.

Is this not the custom on Princess, the OP's previous line?

Hi WestLakeGirl,

I have not sailed on Princess in a few years - though we are thinking about trying them again this Summer. I believe they offer something similar in the MDR, as Celebrity.

The OP -- me -- has not seen anything like it on Princess.

I paid over $12,000 dollars for this trip. We got lobster twice. On the night that my son's and husband wore their tuxedos and we spent $125 dollars on a bottle of wine (for our 25th Anniversary)....I do not think it was unreasonable that we expected:

A. Our food to be hot

B. A waiter the entire time

B. Lighting to be able to see each other

C. to be fully able to hear my family speak

D. An elegant evening

Instead, we got a tacky Disney Parade honoring a chef who gets apparently honored weekly. And, I am told that I should have just been happy while we waited around to send our food back, when the waiters finally decided to put the candles back on the tables and serve again. And I should be :) happy while we sit and wait for second meals to show up.

Sorry, not happy about it. I would have expected this on Carnival. I do not expect it from a line that touts itself as a cut above the res

In other threads, you have also trashed Qzine and the ship's entertainment, and as you have here, chose to take a rather bombastic approach. While your points may or may not be valid, your approach does a disservice to any legitimate complaints you might have.

My dear OP:

The parade is not designed to merely honor the Executive Chef, but to give passengers an opportunity to recognize those who worked so hard to give them a memorable dining experience. Yes, the Executive Chef is introduced, but so is the Restaurant Manager, the F&B Manager and the Maître 'ds. The waiters and Assistant Waiters are recognized as a group and respond to the waving of napkins by the passengers. Sure the music might be too loud and the production takes some time, but you can avoid the situation by dining in Select or at a Specialty Restaurant. Booking Aqua Class or a Suite gives you an option to dine in Blu. You do have options. You can always cruise on another line that doesn't do parades if that's your wish. I can take or leave the parade, but many do appear to enjoy it.