Noro Virus Outbreak on Xmas Cruise? Sun Princess

Zanny

Wash your hands with soap as often as possible, use own bathroom, avoid touching things (like lift buttons) with your finger-tips.

But most of all - keep your hands away from your face and do not touch anything you are eating with your hands, i.e. use cutlery for everything, do NOT lick your fingers - that's what napkins/serviettes are there for.

Wash your hands with soap as often as possible, use own bathroom, avoid touching things (like lift buttons) with your finger-tips.

But most of all - keep your hands away from your face and do not touch anything you are eating with your hands, i.e. use cutlery for everything, do NOT lick your fingers - that's what napkins/serviettes are there for.

But on the ships I like to eat my pork ribs with my fingies. Those Princess pork ribs are finger lickin' good !

Edited by NSWP

Back in the day, norovirus was called the stomach flu. It made you miserably sick, but didn't last more than two days. It was (and still is) prevalent in any place where there are lot's of people (ships, nursing homes, schools, hospitals, etc.).

Like many of you have said, washing your hands often is the best defense. Also, try to keep your hands away from your face (eyes, nose, mouth).

We've seen so many people who don't use the hand sanitizers :( ! Even if it doesn't prevent noro, it does prevent other infections.

Stay well,

I have heard the American term "stomach flu" but I haven't ever heard it called that in Australia. We used to call it "gastro". Still nasty.

I agree with you that the best defence is to keep hands away from the face and (as Boeckli said) don't handle your food. Although it does look a bit strange to eat a bread roll with knife and fork. :D

Okay wait.

If the food is on your plate, and going into your stomach, what possible difference can there be if you use utensils or your fingers to get it there?

And if you're going to be paranoid, isn't it actually less safe to use utensils (handled by others before you)?

And for that matter, aren't your hands touching your utensils??

Okay wait.

If the food is on your plate, and going into your stomach, what possible difference can there be if you use utensils or your fingers to get it there?

And if you're going to be paranoid, isn't it actually less safe to use utensils (handled by others before you)?

And for that matter, aren't your hands touching your utensils??

There is a very big difference and I think this is where some noro infections arise. It is highly infectious and your hands can easily have picked up the virus before you start to eat. This is why people recommend hand washing.

Your hands have probably touched handrails on the stairs, buttons in the lift and also moved your chair in closer to the table as you sat down. In the buffet you will have picked up the serving utensils that other passengers have also handled. Any eating utensils will have been handled only by staff - not other passengers. We have to hope (and assume) that staff who have noro will be quarantined. I know that if they indicate they are unwell that is the case. Unfortunately, not all passengers report their illness and not all stay in quarantine. I think a lot of us have seen passengers who have noro who haven't reported to the medical centre and/or don't obey their quarantine. If I know I don't have noro, there is absolutely no problem if I touch my utensils - although I don't usually put my hands on the tines of my forks. :D I only hold the utensils by the handles.

By the way, I don't get too paranoid about handling my own food unless the ship has a lot of noro infections and goes into "code red". At that stage even salt/pepper shakers are removed and tiny paper packets are made available and the tables in the buffet are not set with cutlery. This indicates that the cruiseline also believes that noro can be passed on by items people handle while they are eating. If we then only eat with a fork and don't put our hands in our mouths or nose :D we would be OK. Also, going by the fact that if noro reaches a particular percentage of people on board, the staff are constantly disinfecting handrails and even the walls of the corridors indicates how virulent this infection is.

Edited by Aus Traveller

The staff told me that although things were MUCH better they would stay on red and give the ship another deep clean at Sydney and EVERYONE must get off even transit passengers,.

Does anyone know about the 3 teen boys who were put off the ship very shortly after they embarked in Auckland No details available as yet.

Just got off Sea Princess Christmas cruise and we to were on red alert with the nasty norvo virus. There was delayed boarding on Saturday so they could clean the whole ship. Witnessed some terrible actions by people who just don't care. We had a passenger vomit in the dining room....the cleaning team then came in to do there job(who can continue dinner after that!). Proceeded to the show lounge and as the show finished the lights came on and someone had spewed all along the handrails and entrance and all up the walls. We were told not to use public toilets but some people just don't listen! Not a nice experience but all we did was wash your hands, wash your hands and guess what it worked.... Did not spoil our cruise and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Tania:)

Just got off Sea Princess Christmas cruise and we to were on red alert with the nasty norvo virus. There was delayed boarding on Saturday so they could clean the whole ship. Witnessed some terrible actions by people who just don't care. We had a passenger vomit in the dining room....the cleaning team then came in to do there job(who can continue dinner after that!). Proceeded to the show lounge and as the show finished the lights came on and someone had spewed all along the handrails and entrance and all up the walls. We were told not to use public toilets but some people just don't listen! Not a nice experience but all we did was wash your hands, wash your hands and guess what it worked.... Did not spoil our cruise and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Glad the cruise worked out well for you and you didn't get ill.:D

It just sounds horrific with all the projectile vomiting going on.:eek:

There is a very big difference and I think this is where some noro infections arise. It is highly infectious and your hands can easily have picked up the virus before you start to eat. This is why people recommend hand washing.

Thanks for these examples. More food for thought.

The 'Australian' cruise ship hygiene standards are no different to any others operating from other parts of the world, we have our share of grubs, Noro does not favour any nationality. I have travelled on Aussie ships, American ships, British ships, they all have their hygiene issues unfortunately.

The 'Australian' cruise ship hygiene standards are no different to any others operating from other parts of the world, we have our share of grubs, Noro does not favour any nationality. I have travelled on Aussie ships, American ships, British ships, they all have their hygiene issues unfortunately.

And that sums it up in a nutshell - so called "bogans/rednecks" all over the world! :cool:

Sadly this is too true.:D

Oh dear. That doesn't sound very pleasant. Good on you for coping with all that. I'm not sure I would have been so good at it.

Does this noro come on so quickly that people don't realise what is about to happen?

Yes - it comes on very quickly and lasts a couple of days.

TAN066. We too were on the Sea Princess for Chrissy. We dined late & did a late show. No idea either of those things happened! Glad u enjoyed your cruise. We did. I figured the walk up / down 3x flights of stairs each time I needed to go to the loo was worth it! Made the 3.30 / 4pm chicken burger w cheese n chips a little more justified :D.

I am hating being home & having to cook, serve, clean and grind my own pepper immensely ha ha.

TAN066. We too were on the Sea Princess for Chrissy. We dined late & did a late show. No idea either of those things happened! Glad u enjoyed your cruise. We did. I figured the walk up / down 3x flights of stairs each time I needed to go to the loo was worth it! Made the 3.30 / 4pm chicken burger w cheese n chips a little more justified :D.

I am hating being home & having to cook, serve, clean and grind my own pepper immensely ha ha.

LOL, very true. I always get in trouble for leaving the bed in a mess after a cruise.:D

*groan* making the bed... I forgot about that. No evening chocolates and no fresh towels appearing in the bathroom. Darned rough being home and adjusting after a cruise!!:D

Even worse is the towel Animals that never appear when at home.:eek:

we have seen the staff come out of the toilets and they didnt wash their hands so they are just as bad as some paxs

Yes DH saw a waiter from the buffet do this and immediately reported it to the 'Head Waiter' in the buffet who said as they had not got other witnesses they could do nothing about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sadly this is too true.:D

What is forgotten is that a couple of thousand people are waiting in the terminals before entering the ship and these terminals are NEVER cleaned as well as the ships therefore it is rampant there. Last cruise from Thailand on Diamond Princess there was a huge notice as we stepped on to the ship saying "GO immediately to your cabin and wash your hands" They should do this on all ships on embarkation.

What is forgotten is that a couple of thousand people are waiting in the terminals before entering the ship and these terminals are NEVER cleaned as well as the ships therefore it is rampant there. Last cruise from Thailand on Diamond Princess there was a huge notice as we stepped on to the ship saying "GO immediately to your cabin and wash your hands" They should do this on all ships on embarkation.

Yes great idea, the hand sanitisers are good but they are not enough on their own.:D

We were also on this cruise (my first after years of persistence from my wife) and very early on Boxing Day our youngest fell to the Virus, then 24 hours later my wife who had cleaned his vomit up without any gloves etc, 24hrs later our other son who shared the cabin with him and me 18hrs after disembarking the ship (having all but self-quarantined with our youngest). Not what we were hoping for. My wife and I were very careful re hygiene although I suspect our youngest would have had plenty of contact in the Kids/Teens Club to sticky fingers (some activities encouraged this). I understand 100-120 passengers and 15 or so staff reported the virus, and from talking to a number of experienced cruisers there would be more who did not report (the first reported cases were a couple of days before Christmas). Norovirus is highly contagious and in a confined shared environment only needs one host to spread it rapidly. Whilst on the surface all the proper procedures appeared to be in place, it became apparent as the virus spread and staff were stretched that there are some gaps in their processes - I have just now sent Princess a letter sharing our observations and suggestions, as I do not wish this bug on anyone.

I think the single most important thing Princess or any other cruise operator can do is to incentivise people to report their illness as soon as any sympton becomes apparent.

This means not leaving them out of pocket (and probably compensating them for their lost days), providing them with clean drinking water in containers that do not need to be shared, priority access to room service (rather than a 1- 3.5 hour wait to get through), and extras to let them know the cruise line appreciates them taking one for team. And of course really well trained cleaning teams.

Oh, and not having a big jack- potted bingo prize on offer unless quarantined people can play from their cabins (otherwise some will sneak out).

And to be fair to those you noted spewing in public, the illness comes on very very fast and some may not have time to even make it out in time. And once they became overloaded they asked sick people to attend the medical centre rather than be seen in their cabins. This of course increases the risk of ill people touching things and spewing on the way or way back - pretty silly infection control - a bit like asking and infectious patient to take themselves the full length of a hospital to seek treatment.